Author Topic: T3  (Read 4111 times)

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
T3
« on: October 26, 2006, 08:14:37 AM »
To all those smart people, here's a question.  Is it worthwhile getting T3 shares?  I've heard some say yes and another, who was a former employee of Telstra and has T2 shares say no.  I've never bought shares before and it's that or a new outboard motor for hubby's boat (believe me, the shares would be cheaper!)

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
Re: T3
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 11:23:59 AM »
Why would anyone want to buy shares in a movie that screened over 3 years ago especailly now that Arnie is into politics?? Mind you Kristanna Loken was very nice in the film  :wub

Offline mjs

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 01:26:49 PM »
julz

This is not investment advice - I am not a registered financial advisor - these are just my opinions.

T3 is a great buy if you want to get at least 14% return on your money over the next two years.

You only have to pay $2 per share in November and the balance in 18 months. You won't know the balance until that's determined in November after an "auction" amongst institutions. It's likely to be around $1.50 - $1.70

Even tho you only pay $2 you are entitled to the full  28c dividend which is basically guaranteed for next year. First 14c in March I think.

Plus you pay $2 for first installment when institutions pay $2.10 so that's another 5% discount. Plus you get franking credits if that helps (if you pay less than 30% tax rate you'll get a refund, cause dividends are pre taxed at 30%)

Dividend in year two is not guaranteed but it's expected to be around same as next year - but the management wouldn't agree to promise that.

I think it's fair to say that most analysts agree that it's a great yield for next two years - where they disagree is whether it's worth holding long term. The only risk over next two years is that the share price might fall more than 20% and wipe out your dividend and discount benefits - highly unlikely IMHO as they have already been hammered. If the share price goes up you make a capital gain as well as the dividend yield.

Most analysts who knock T3 do so because they see better value long term in other companies.

T1 is still above the listing price. T2 is well down but I think they have paid around $2.40 in dividends since they were launched so it's not as bad as some think. Plus you've had plenty of time to sell.

regards

Offline F0551L

• One Eyed Richmond Gold member "eat em alive" Marching on to Victory in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Strong and Bold
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 03:27:06 PM »
buy the outboard  you will enjoy the benfits now
live for the moment  :)
EAT EM ALIVE 2016 TIGERS

Retired to the Bench

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 04:26:06 PM »
Dividend in year two is not guaranteed but it's expected to be around same as next year - but the management wouldn't agree to promise that.

I'm no financial analyst either, but I have T1 shares and Telstra's dividend has been pretty consistent IIRC.

I think it's fair to say that most analysts agree that it's a great yield for next two years - where they disagree is whether it's worth holding long term. The only risk over next two years is that the share price might fall more than 20% and wipe out your dividend and discount benefits - highly unlikely IMHO as they have already been hammered. If the share price goes up you make a capital gain as well as the dividend yield.

Most analysts who knock T3 do so because they see better value long term in other companies.

I think you're spot on mjs.

Without trying to get political, the Government is trying to have its cake and eat it too IMO. On one hand it wants Telstra fully privatised  to reap the $$$ from the sale and for idelogical reasons of not believing public services should be state controlled. But on the other hand through strict regulation and interference it won't allow it to run as a normal independent public company for fear Telstra will reduce services in the bush which will cost the Government votes. You either have a state-run utility or a private business. You can't have both. The share price won't turnaround and improve IMO until Telstra is allowed a free hand to cut costs and improve and increase it streams of revenue like any other publicly listed company.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 02:36:02 AM »
Solid support for T3 float
Anthony Black
Your Money editor
October 28, 2006 11:00pm
Sunday Herald Sun

THE Telstra float has been structured to attract investors. But is it a good deal? The Sunday Herald Sun asked several analysts to spell out the benefits and risks of the T3 offer.

Would you buy T3? Richard Nettlefold, of Wilson HTM, said: "I am advising my clients to buy T3. The sale is structured in a way that potentially offers good returns to investors.

"Investors pay $2 up front (for an instalment receipt) with the balance due in 18 months. The final instalment price will be determined during three trading days in November. We expect a total price of between $3.50 and $3.80 over two instalments.

"Telstra shares have been trading between $3.50 and $3.85, so there is support for the stock at those levels. Our 12-month valuation is $4."

Why does T3 appeal? Mr Nettlefold said a retail discount of 10c a receipt on what institutions paid was attractive, particularly after strong overseas demand for scrip. He said strong support for T3 had resulted in broking house allocations being scaled back.

Dividend: T3 is offering a 28 cent dividend for the first year, which translates to a yield of 14 per cent. And the dividend is fully franked, so the company pays 30 per cent tax.

"Investors not expecting any capital growth will buy T3 for dividend yield alone," Mr Nettlefold said. "But the T3 share price can go up on improving revenue and earnings and much of the bad news appears to be behind it."

Bonus: Mr Nettlefold said T3 would reward investors with one share for every 25 they owned provided they held them for 18 months.

"The bonus share is a lure to invest, but it could turn out to be a real bonus," he said.

"I'm not buying T3 for traders, I'm buying it for mums and dads to sit on to pick up bonus shares."

Nasty taste of T2: Mr Nettlefold said: "Put emotion aside and try and forget about losing money in T2. A sound strategy might be to sell T2 shares for a loss and invest the proceeds in T3.

"Investors can offset T2 losses on other profitable investments to reduce capital gains tax. The smart money is buying T3."

Freedom: Michael Heffernan, of Austock, said the benefits for buying T3 outweighed the risks.

"One of the biggest benefits about the T3 float is the Telstra board will finally get the government off its back," he said. "It can determine its own destiny without being answerable to politicians with vested interests."

Mr Heffernan said Telstra appealed because it had so many revenue streams.

"It has fixed line, mobile, broadband, search directories and pay TV," he said. "In Australia, Vodafone has mobile."

Risks: Peter Russell, of Intersuisse, said the regulatory environment could still hamper Telstra and he would not be buying shares in the float.

"The regulatory environment inhibits Telstra's profits, while it gives a leg up to its competitors," he said.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,20660942-664,00.html

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 08:30:59 AM »
Thanks for the feedback guys :thumbsup

Offline mjs

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2006, 10:33:32 AM »
T3 installments currently trading at $2.51 which is already an awesome 25% return in a month  :thumbsup

It's middle class welfare - but that's ok  ;D

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2006, 09:09:04 AM »
BTW - hubby's still getting his outboard.  I have "sucker" written all over my forehead :wallywink