Author Topic: Tiger great enriches last days of most loyal fan (Herald-Sun)  (Read 946 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tiger great enriches last days of most loyal fan (Herald-Sun)
« on: October 30, 2008, 03:17:18 AM »
Tiger great enriches last days of most loyal fan
Mark Robinson | October 30, 2008

HER name was Karen Keating, she was 46 and she died last Friday.

Her hero was Matthew Richardson. Her life revolved around her family, her Tigers, her 19 years work at the Hilton Hotel and, of course, her Richo.

Karen was a special woman in every sense.

At birth, she was denied the necessary oxygen to the brain which resulted her being intellectually handicapped which resulted in a life that many of us have no comprehension.

Always, though, as kids her own age and as adults later in her life enjoyed the richness of able bodies and minds, a joy Karen never experienced, she most always had a smile and a booming hello.

One of four siblings and one of 29 cousins in a madhouse extended family, when Kaz got too excited or laughed too uproariously, she would have "accidents", which weren't an embarrassment.

That she was laughing made everyone laugh.

Life for Pat and Bev, her parents, was a blessing and a struggle.

Pat, a one-time knockabout who played for West Preston in the '50s and '60s and coached intermittently in the northern suburbs, loved his football, so it was not a surprise that Karen did, too.

Pat was Sydney Swans. Bev was Collingwood. But Karen chose Richmond.

A little girl lost in an adult world, Kaz's bedroom was adorned with Tigers stuff: posters, dolls, pillows, bears, books and scrapbooks.

She didn't have what most people took for granted, so Kaz rarely, if ever, watched the Tigers live at the 'G.

But, boy, did she love Richo.

A couple of years back, life sent Kaz another curve ball: she was diagnosed with cancer. That wasn't all of it. A couple of months back, in between bouts of therapy to beat the bastard cancer, Kaz fell at work. She broke her leg and her shoulder.

Kaz was admitted to hospital, to a tiny, soulless, single room, and never left.

Richo was told about Karen in September. He had never heard of her, and he was on holidays after yet another gruelling season, but said yes to a request to visit St Vincent's.

He was late this day, but then it was learnt he had in fact been early and was waiting at another entrance.

He walked into Karen's room, on floor nine, with her array of Tigers dolls adorning the window sill. And Kaz - said Pat - was so excited she probably wet herself.

Kaz looked a sight. The cancer had not let go and she could barely move in that horrible hospital garb, but she couldn't stop smiling.

She didn't talk much, but there was Richo, in her room, just to see her.

Her eyes followed his every move.

Richo stayed for 15 minutes. His warmth, patience and enthusiasm was amazing. They talked in spurts about the Tigers and her favourite players - she pointed at him when he asked who it was -- and, at the end, he gave her a footy and sidled up for photos.

Bev, fighting tears, couldn't thank Richo enough.

To think the great Matthew Richardson had taken time out of his life to touch the eroding life of her daughter's was beyond words.

Kaz died last Friday.

Told by text earlier this week, Richo texted back: "Sorry to hear that. Pass on my regards. Take care."

With Richo, you know he meant it.

A service for Karen Keating will be held at Francis of Assisi Church in Mill Park tomorrow at 10am.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24573584-19742,00.html

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Tiger great enriches last days of most loyal fan (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 07:23:32 AM »
I know we all get on here and love to have a whinge or a go at our favourite targets among the players, coaches and even board members but sometimes you need to read a story like this to get some perspective on the reality of a public football identity (like Richo but could be anyone).  They are all people like you and I, with their own strengths and flaws and even though they are 'blessed' with the talent to play their sport at the highest level it doesn't negate their humanity.  To take the time to make a difference to an unknown person is a very positive human act and I know that very, very many football personalities take time out of their own lives to do this.

Just to help provide a balance on here between positive and negative, and maybe to help provide a 'bigger picture' perspective for many, it would be good if you could add to this thread with any stories you know of regarding football personalities (doesn't have to be our club) taking the time to make a difference.  I can start by recounting a story of personal experience from within my own family.  I did post it to another forum a few years ago so will copy/paste it here to save typing:

A couple of years ago (pre 1998) Campbell was told of a young bloke (2 years old) from a Tiger family, doing life pretty tough. Although
no formal approach or request was made by anyone connected with the family, he took it on his own shoulders to visit the family and lift
the spirits of all concerned. This initial visit consisted of a chat with Mum, Dad and the boys, as well as a kick in the backyard with
the kids. Needless to say, the visit had a huge impact on all the family and was a constant talking point for months, however the story
doesn't end there. Over the next couple of years, he became a regular visitor (the family don't live in Melbourne), both to their
house, and the Royal Childrens Hospital, where the young bloke was spending a fair bit of time. During his time in hospital, he was
also visited by at least Duncan Kellaway and Mark Merenda (there may have been more) at Campbell's request. As 1998 was drawing to a
close and things weren't looking too good, he then organised for the family to come down and watch the last game of '98 (vs Melb) and gointo the rooms prior to the game. He then took the young bloke in  his arms and carried him through the banner at the start of the
game. After going through the banner, he was allowed to stand with his Dad and watch all the warm-ups before leaving the arena.
Unbeknowns to the family, he had also organised a professional video to be made of the whole day, and this was presented to Mum and Dad soon after. Sadly a few weeks later, the little fella lost his battle, and one of the four pallbearers at the funeral was W.
Campbell. This all occurred right in the middle of his problems and walkout with the club. He still maintains contact with the family to
this day, and it all started because he heard of a young Tiger doing it tough.

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 08:09:28 AM »
Great stories.  :clapping  :cheers

Well done Richo.  Well done Campo.  :thumbsup
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 08:33:22 PM »
Lovely stories albeit sad as well.

This one just shows what a champion Richo is on and off the field  :clapping.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline TigerRocket

• Future Richmond star
  • Tigers 4 Ever
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 10:10:53 PM »
I don't get the time to post on this site but do track the news regularly from home in SIngapore:
The true story I have is about KB or as my dad called him 'the little sqibb' (in an endearing manner as dad played footy for StKilda, won a Gardner Medal back in the 40's and played the game much the way 'Hungry did' with spped and skill.
Well dad was on laid up in Bellbird Hospital in Blackburn suffering from empahsema and as the doctors told him with only a few weeks to live!
Knowing he loved his footy the Sainters and more recently (the last 20 years) the mighty tigers (my mum was a lifelong supported and in time dad had been converted).
I decided it would be great if I could get someone from the Saints to visit him (as a past medalist) and cheer him up. Well the Saints were too busy to send someone and after 3 calls were not returned, I finally got through to the then President (who will go nameless) who said he would check and call me back .... he never did! The next port of call was Essendon, dad had coached Kevin Sheedy as a junior in Prahran and the Bombers were really supportive and helpful, unfortunately Sheeds was overseas and wouldn't be back for a month so no joy there. Finally I turned to the Tigers (this was the year when we were rattling the cans to Save the Tigers and KB was coach) and to say this club was selfless is an understatement, they called me back twice on the Wednesday morning, they made sure they had the name right and address and by 2pm that afternoon the little champ himself fronted up at Blellbird Hospital with a personalised photo of the tiger team, a tiger scarf and a video of the tigers years just past.

My dad was floored, he couldn't believe KB would take the time to spend with him!! To end the story KB spent 3 hrs with my dad that afternoon talking about footy, the tigers and even dads time at the Saints (he had taken the time to research dads history) and even mentioned many of the old sainters that dad had played with during his career. Dad passed away 2 weeks later and the Tigers put a memorial in the paper (the Saints didn't but the Bombers did!!).

We should be really proud of our club and the people that make it up, Richo is just one in a long line of great people (not just footballers) that the Mighty Tigers produce and continue to produce .

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 09:17:55 AM »

We should be really proud of our club and the people that make it up, Richo is just one in a long line of great people (not just footballers) that the Mighty Tigers produce and continue to produce .

Thanks for the input TR - a fantastic story, especially given the personal nature.

What you say above is spot on. For all our mistakes and shortcomings as a club, there has to be a reason why our supporters have stuck so true for so long.  There is a fibre in our club that other clubs are (inwardly) jealous of and other club supporters just don't get.  And this fibre is made up of players, officials, coaches and supporters.  Our human race is made up of all types, just as our club is, but once you identify with Richmond there is a tangible belonging that I wouldn't swap for anything.

:gotigers