Author Topic: Graham could be promoted off the rookie list for round 1  (Read 1288 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Graham could be promoted off the rookie list for round 1
« on: March 14, 2007, 10:15:59 PM »
Graham in frame to boost ruck division
AAP
richmondfc.com.au

A YOUNG ruckman could be elevated from the club's rookie list to help counter a chronic shortage of fit, tall players nearing the start of the season.

Angus Graham, a 200cm teenager, will be given another chance to continue his good pre-season against Collingwood in Friday's practice game in Mildura, along with fellow rookies Cameron Howat and Jake King.

All are vying for elevation to the senior list to replace Mark Coughlan, who will not play in 2007 because of a knee injury, but the Tigers will most likely choose from either Graham or Howat, who excited the club in the last five games of 2006.

While Howat would be a straight-swap for Coughlan, Graham's presence would give Richmond another badly needed tall option before the round-one clash against Carlton on April 1.

Coach Terry Wallace has been frustrated by injuries to key-position players Matthew Richardson, Troy Simmonds, Kent Kingsley, Ray Hall, Adam Pattison and Will Thursfield through the pre-season.

"Whether we go with Graham or Cam or Jake is something we're still weighing up," Richmond football operations manager Paul Armstrong said.

"If they continue playing well it's in their hands and it could work in their favour."

Full article at: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsId=39204

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Graham could be promoted off the rookie list for round 1
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 05:05:40 AM »
Graham isn't ready yet. IMO the Dees game against Jeff White showed that.

Don't we potentially have two on our long-term injury list - Cogs and Petersen?
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 12:22:31 PM »
I had a different opinion of him in the Canberra game. I thought he was very close to making the grade considering he was on Jolley and Everitt. Having Patto in the same game gave me a really good baseline to go on. Angus was on par with Patto on the day and IMO he is more mobile than Patto.
I'd put him on the senior list behind Cam Howat and give him a go.  :thumbsup
I think Terry sees what I see in him, He looks like one of those kid when given the opportunity he will adapt quickly, give his all and shine.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 01:14:51 PM »

Don't we potentially have two on our long-term injury list - Cogs and Petersen?

Yep

I don't know about Angus being promoted - certainly makes a contest but as ruckman tapping the ball to advantage, getting in the right position etc - I don't think he is ready. Remember he has played 1 senior VFL game (and really struggled) and couple of practice games. And everyone keeps telling me they are just praccy games, where teams are experimenting etc.

Get to the real stuff and .... hope the kid proves me wrong but it would be a massive ask

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 01:22:33 PM »
Caught my eye at the Crany intraclub match, certainly looks the part but as mentioned still seems very raw. Lets hope he comes on, something we despartely will need in the coming years.

I think Noble is a complete dud ..... he can stand in the middle and get hitouts if our midfield improves to the point of a syd or wce but useless in anything else. My opinion.

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 01:51:18 PM »
Wallace from the RFC site:

The other interesting factor is that we’ve got three rookies going up there (Cam Howat, Jake King and Angus Graham), who are all likely to start in the game, trying to get themselves a position on our senior list before Round 1. Now, whether we can play one rookie first-up, or two rookies first-up . . . certainly I don’t think it will be three first-up – but you’ve got ‘Cogs’ (Mark Coughlan) obviously, on the long-term injury list, and young Carl Peterson probably won’t play until the halfway mark of the season. So, there’s a good chance for one or two of the rookies to press their claims for senior promotion. I can’t remember a side promoting and then playing two rookies in an opening round match. But if the boys play well enough, there’s no doubt they deserve their opportunity.

http://richmondfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsId=39216

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 05:31:12 PM »
Caught my eye at the Crany intraclub match, certainly looks the part but as mentioned still seems very raw. Lets hope he comes on, something we despartely will need in the coming years.

I think Noble is a complete dud ..... he can stand in the middle and get hitouts if our midfield improves to the point of a syd or wce but useless in anything else. My opinion.

As I have said previously, He'd be a good bloke to have around if you need to hail a cab or catch the eye of a Barman at a busy pub but that's about it.

Gordon Bennett

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 09:26:03 AM »
Graham ain't ready. May never be ready, but I wish him well.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2007, 01:40:50 AM »
Going by yesterday's game, the order would be Howat, King and then a gap to Graham. Patto being B.O.G. might ease the worry about a lack of a ruckman going into round 1 without Simmo.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2007, 03:29:57 AM »
From the Herald-Sun:

Wallace said a decision on which rookies would be elevated remained unresolved although he said there were two spots up for grabs _ those of Mark Coughlan, who will miss the season with a knee reconstruction, and Carl Peterson, who came to the club with osteitis pubis and has yet to train.

"I thought Angus Graham handled himself quite adequately in the ruck, Cam Howat continues to play reasonable midfield and Jake King did some fantastic smothering and tackling. They're all worthy, but you can't fit them all in,'' Wallace said.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,21396181^20322,00.html