Author Topic: Richmond vs Bulldogs match thread  (Read 4034 times)

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
Re: Richmond vs Bulldogs match thread
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2007, 09:37:40 PM »
Game plan and endeavour problems aside, we have the least talented list in the league.

Greg Tivendale being one of our better players says it all. He wasn't fit to play AFL footy three years ago. That tells you how far up the creek we are.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2007, 05:57:27 PM »
I think some tough decisions need to be made.

We have players that are sadly out of form or have been totally worked out by the opposition (by that I mean they know how our players play). Do we continue to carry them hoping they get back into form? Or do we bite the bullet send them back to Coburg so they can get some form back?

Now I don't know if this is something clubs discuss but if silly me sitting up in the Southern Stand can see it then I can only assume that the coaches see it too and isn't it is up to them to help players overcome having been "worked out"?

Perfect example is young Raines - clearly the oppostion know which way he is going to go when he gets the ball (he runs straight ahead taking on the opposition, just like Tiv always runs out slightly to the left). Now because the opposition have worked out young Andrew out it is clearly affecting his form -the club needs to do something because not only isn't it good for the team I doubt very much it's that great for the confidence of Raines.

Now before everyone has a go at me and says I am picking on Andrew - that's not what this is about. It is an example of the probelm of players having been "worked out" that we currently have and what I am asking is what the hell does the Club do about it ?

At the other end of the scale we have the senior players out of form with bad skills - leathal combination without doubt. I reckon we need to bite the bullet on that one too
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2007, 07:24:36 PM »
The thing is Andrew is doing the right thing in that case. You want players breaking through lines. The problem is whenever we do catch the opposition on the break the player with the ball looks up and sees no one leading hard up the ground or even out to the wings or HFF so has no one in a better than 50/50 chance to kick to. Too many players play safe and are reactive and won't run off their opponent to offer an option for the player with the footy. Once someone like Rainesy gets the footy his teammates should back his bursts as soon as he gets the ball and start sprinting into open space.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd