Author Topic: Luke McGuane's game / ripper mark  (Read 2796 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Luke McGuane's game / ripper mark
« on: April 28, 2007, 06:15:36 PM »
What did we think of Luke's game?

I thought it was the best game he's played so far. His first 3 quarters were excellent. Confidently backed himself and took a couple of ripper marks  :clapping. Hansen finished the stronger in the last.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

letsgetiton!

Re: Luke McGuane's game / ripper mark
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 06:38:31 PM »
luke beat hansen, that last quarter and the goasl hansen kicked were not lukes fault, they were lace out pin point passes that ecven i would have marked, and its not lukes fault the midfield coffed the ball up as they did
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 10:59:02 PM by X-CITED »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 08:41:18 PM »

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 10:00:24 AM »

Mark of the year  :bow

Luke will get a Rising star nomination by the end of the year when he has refined his skills

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 10:02:37 AM »
Awesome grab and your'e right bluey, he is good at getting the pill but what he does then he needs to clean up.

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 10:10:15 AM »
I've always been a big wrap for Luke. Terrific motor, good combo of speed and endurance and as he showed today has a superb leap. Gotta love his enthusiasm and willingness to get his hands dirty. Actually reminds me a lot of Thirsty.

still has a fair way to go, re skills, decision making, but looks like being a good player.

Hopefully becomes like Whitnall minus the weight problems and family issues  ;)  :lol

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 10:30:43 AM »
Not bad for a Queenslander. :thumbsup

letsgetiton!

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2007, 01:18:11 PM »

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2007, 10:03:27 PM »
IMO Luke's improved out of sight in 2007.

His "speccy" yesterday was a ripper but it did have a downside. Next time it came down near him he tried it again, missed it and because another player who shall remain nameless  ;) decided to jump instead of staying on the ground for the crumbs the Eagles got a rather easy goal.

But back to Luke ;D - I thought he won the battl ein the first half but was beaten in the 2nd. Got out bodied a number of times - Hansen is very solid while Luke is still very lean
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

letsgetiton!

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 09:02:30 AM »
IMO Luke's improved out of sight in 2007.

His "speccy" yesterday was a ripper but it did have a downside. Next time it came down near him he tried it again, missed it and because another player who shall remain nameless  ;) decided to jump instead of staying on the ground for the crumbs the Eagles got a rather easy goal.

But back to Luke ;D - I thought he won the battl ein the first half but was beaten in the 2nd. Got out bodied a number of times - Hansen is very solid while Luke is still very lean

point 1 = luke will learn from that, with experience he will know when to back his judgement and go for the mark or spoil, and about the jumping and not crumbing, lets hope he learns from that too!

point 2. hansen was a much bigger body and i would say he he was outbodied that much, the marks and goals that hansen kicked not even rutten would have stopped, the delivery was just too good, every defence needs the help from teh midfielders to put pressure on and play tight , our muids lack too much def pressure at times

Gordon Bennett

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 09:42:15 AM »
I'm pleasantly surprised by his form, in particular his closing speed, his spoiling, and his tight marking and good concentration. Two months ago I thought he was very likely to be delisted come season's end.

Bulluss

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2007, 07:51:13 PM »
McGuane should have been delisted last year.

He has taken his chance this year and has been doing well and i think improving each week.

Jury is still out but if he keeps up his performances and rate of improvement he will be around for atleast a couple more years.

Keep up the good work Luke.  :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2007, 09:57:32 PM »
Luke had 8 spoils according to the official stats. The second most in the league on the weekend.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2007, 12:10:37 PM »
Leaping into the public eye
By Greg Lange
richmondfc.com.au
Friday, May 4, 2007

HEADING into last weekend’s clash against the West Coast Eagles, Richmond’s Luke McGuane was known to most AFL fans as one of a batch of promising Tigers youngsters.

After standing on the heads of teammate Joel Bowden and Eagle Adam Hunter to take one of the marks of the round at the MCG, it’s fair to say McGuane’s profile has increased dramatically.

“I saw Joel Bowden and his opponent Adam Hunter just standing there and perfect for the sit,” McGuane said. “So I thought I should try and go up for a grab like I would have done at VFL level, and it came off thank God.”

McGuane’s passion for a leap was evident in his early years on the Gold Coast, where he enjoyed success on the athletics track in both the high jump and 800m events.

But according to the jovial 20-year-old sports science student, athletics was never really going to be an option.

“I like the physical aspect of AFL, where as in athletics I couldn’t use that side of things,” McGuane said. “I mean, it was fun and I enjoyed it, but I just enjoyed footy that little bit more.”

Considering McGuane’s genetic link to former Collingwood star Mick McGuane – the two are cousins - it’s no surprise he finds himself living out his AFL dream with the Tigers.

While he’s moved away from Queensland to follow his AFL dream at Punt Road, McGuane said he stays in close contact with his family, which is never short of advice.

“My brother is constantly sledging me about how thin I am, Dad is always analysing the game and even Mum is having a crack at me; always on my back about taking my multi-vitamins and proteins,” he joked.

Although, McGuane isn’t averse to having a good-natured crack at his teammates when the opportunity arises.

His sports science study partner and Tigers teammate Dean Polo is a favourite target.

“His hair style a couple of weeks ago certainly isn’t the latest trend, I don’t know where he got that one from,” McGuane, a self-confessed fashion aficionado, said.

“I felt for him, but I think he’s learnt from his mistake.”

On a more serious note, things couldn’t be better for McGuane on the field. His successful conversion from a forward to a defender has raised both the club’s and his own expectations for the 2007 season.

“I had a goal at the start of the year to play 10 senior games [and] I’ve now played the first five,” McGuane said.

“If I can hold on to my spot in the side and play 22 games I would be absolutely rapt as earlier on in the pre-season, it probably wouldn’t have been a consideration of mine.”

McGuane’s impressive form is having a positive effect on his self belief.

“It feels a lot better playing consistent footy in the senior team. I suppose you feel more apart of the group and more confident on and off the field,” he said.

McGuane has caught the eye of many experts since the season started and is clearly enjoying his new role as a key defender.

“I was always a forward but I’ve been tutored by David King to play in the backline and I’m really starting to enjoy it, especially going for my marks,” he said.

However, McGuane said there was a down side to getting the job on opposition key forwards each week – having to listen to his brother and bulk up.

Both tasks are proving to be difficult, he laughed.

“I have been trying to put on a bit of weight but it doesn’t seem to be working,” McGuane said.

http://richmondfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsId=42562