Author Topic: Wallace's After Match Conference  (Read 872 times)

Moi

Wallace's After Match Conference
« on: May 06, 2007, 09:11:04 PM »
Asked players to rate themselves in 5 or 6 categories, work rate etc.  Most were honest.  Still lack of genuine emotion in the group – looked just as shellshocked as they were on the ground.  When you’re challenged you have to fight and show some emotion and we didn’t do that.

Thought players had been competitive for first 5 games – tonight non-competive, embarrassing and unacceptable.

Re the opening with our seniors on the bench, wanted to give opportunity to others at the opening bounce to give them an opportunity to have a go - they didn’t take it.  Depends on what the alternatives and what you have.  You sit there with Johnson and the others, but when they came on made no difference.  You rotate 6 or 7 minutes into the game anyway.  Guys have to step up – can’t live with the same blokes doing the same things.  Have to have another group of players to step up.  The alternatives of running around with the same names and same faces and getting beaten – better to give young kids a chance to play. 

Nathan Foley comment – We go back and review it, go back on the track and horse and try again.  Deflated and will hurt for a couple of days.  Believes the group will come back – go to Adelaide and have a good crack.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Wallace's After Match Conference
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 11:48:59 PM »
Thanks Moi  :cheers. Poor Foles sounded shell shock.

Terry also said he saw a supporter walk by and out and turned to the others in the box and said he wished he could he go with him due to the worse than schooboy errors. Missing targets, players all going up and none done allowing Geelong players to run into open goals or break clear, Geelong players getting through us easily, etc.

We started with us going head to head and it ended up 10 goals to nothing. The pushed players back in the 2nd qtr and it ended up 10 goals to nothing. Went one and one in the second half to see which boys wanted to work hard enough.

We don't have enough midfielders so wanted to give the younger guys a chance to grab a midfield spot. He started Lids, Raines and Foley in the middle. Basically said only Foley showed any fight tonight. 

Plough said he hasn't made up his mind on what changes we'll make. We have the right to make many but do you go with the same group and see how much pride do they have.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 11:53:13 PM »
good stuff guys ...

but does anyone have a link or audio of his post-match conference ???

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 11:59:57 PM »
Loss was 'embarrassing and unacceptable'
By Jennifer Witham
richmondfc.com.au
Sunday, May 6, 2007

TIGERS coach Terry Wallace has admitted his side's 157-point loss to Geelong was one of the darkest days in his coaching career.

His side trailed all evening, with the Cats controlling the game from the opening bounce, as they piled on 35 goals to nine.

"To be coming in at half-time and your opposition side's up 20 goals … I've never, ever had that ever before, so there's no doubt that [loss] was the worst I've been involved with," Wallace said, after the game.

Wallace gave his players an extended post-match address and said he'd instigated an honesty policy with them.

He was primarily concerned with the lack of response from the players as the Cats beat them across all sectors of the ground.

"I put up about five or six categories that I wanted them to step up, in front of their teammates, and rate themselves in those categories. Those categories are our business, but obviously you'd know they were work rate and competitive nature and those types of things," he said.

"I think most were honest. I still think there was still a little lack of genuine emotion within the group. They still looked shell-shocked in there, as they were out on the ground and that's an issue.

"I mean, when you're challenged, you've got to be able to fight and show some sort of emotion in the game. I thought we didn't do that."

The Tigers remain winless after six rounds, but were at least within reach of their first five opponents. In fact, Wallace had been able to identify positives from each of the Tigers' losses before Sunday. After the defeat to the Cats, he found that much more difficult.

"I've walked back in five times thinking that our players have been competitive in the first five games," he said.

"We certainly hadn't got the results, certainly hadn't done anything in the manner in which we wanted to do it up until this stage, but tonight was non-competitive, embarrassing and unacceptable.

"That's purely and simply where it sits. We all wear that and we can't be in that position. It's just unacceptable."

Wallace now faces the unenviable task of getting his players mentally revived after a disastrous start to the season – the Tigers' worst since 1962 – and wants his team to work out why the huge loss occurred.

"Obviously, that's the thing that we've got to counter and it's difficult. How much do you review a tape?" he said.

"We've got a six-day turnaround. Do you wallow in this for the early part of the week? Or do you deal with it quickly and step on? I think in any situation, you've got to do a little bit of both.

"You can't wash it away and say, 'It was just one of those games' and get on with it.

"I mean, you've got to deal with why it happened and what let us down so badly, but you can't be sitting in it on Thursday and Friday of next week because the self-pity and all that comes into play. We just can't do that."

Wallace said he understands the frustration of the supporters, but emphasised the need for unity when facing adversity.

"At one stage, I had a supporter walk out in front of me and I sort of turned around to my guys and said, 'Can I go with him?'," he said.

"That was how it was at that rate. We were all feeling bad about it. Unfortunately we've got to work through it and live through it.

"We can't rip up the memberships and go somewhere else - we've just got to battle our way through it."

http://www.afl.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=42693

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 12:11:05 AM »
so i ask you Terry ...

what are you going to do with the players ???

here is a tip ... stop telling them the are young ... tell them, you lose another match you will be dropped ...

those who don't show after 2 matches get dropped !

where is Brett Deledio these days ???

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 04:08:02 AM »
Dark day for Tigers
The Age
May 7, 2007 - 12:16AM

Wallace said he had got an idea some of his young players lacked a competitive edge and was committed to rebuilding the club's playing list, the same way St Kilda did earlier this decade.

"I remember going back years ago when St Kilda won five games in two years and were getting their ears scrubbed off with kids running around," he said.

"Finally those kids got a little bit even, a bit harder and a bit nastier and started to rise back up the ladder. That's what we've got to aim for and work towards."

Richmond's tackles were broken like twigs, they were flat-footed and reactive, they made numerous skill errors and did not have any spark, which allowed Geelong to boot the first seven goals of the game.

"It was farcical at times," Wallace said.

"At one stage I had a supporter walk out in front of me and I turned around to my guys and said 'Can I go with him?' That was how it was at that rate.

"We're all feeling bad about it and unfortunately we've got to work through it and live through it ... we've got to battle through it."

The Tigers started captain Kane Johnson and Shane Tuck on the bench, a decision Wallace defended as giving opportunity to younger players.

He said players just had "to step up".

"Everyone's been screaming at me to have Brett Deledio in the middle of the ground and that's exactly where he started and we wanted to give Andrew Raines an opportunity to step up," Wallace said.

"Clearly we haven't got enough midfielders in our side and we said, `Here's an opportunity, guys. Take it if you can'. They couldn't take it."

http://news.realfooty.com.au/dark-day-for-tigers/20072407-bcd.html
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 04:49:54 AM by one-eyed »