Author Topic: Cam Howat  (Read 1122 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Cam Howat
« on: July 11, 2007, 10:10:25 PM »
Rookie proves his worth
6:10 PM Wed 11 July, 2007
By Greg Lange
richmondfc.com.au

Heading into this year’s pre-season Cam Howat was facing another year of hard work on the Tigers’ rookie list in order to prove his worth as “possible” senior player . After an impressive 2007 pre-season, his efforts were rewarded with promotion to the senior list.

However, only a few weeks into the season he found himself fighting a new battle – to stay in the side he had worked so hard to get into.

“I don’t think my training or preparation dropped off. I just had a bit of a flat period,” he admitted.

“Terry [Wallace] thought I had been up all pre-season and playing well, and I was due to plateau a bit.”   

In order to rejuvenate, Howat was sent back for a spell in the VFL.

“It was a bit of a kick in the pants really,” Howard explained. “I had played a couple of poor games in a row. They just said to me, ‘If you play good footy you will get another opportunity’.

“There is no real secret formula to my game, I am a running type player and I just have to use the skills I have to the best of my ability.”

Demonstrating his fighting nature, Howat quickly rectified the “plateau” and was back in the seniors three weeks later to resume his new crusade.

“Over the past couple of weeks I think I have had some good games mixed with some poor games, but hopefully I can have a more consistent end to the season,” the 22-year-old said. 

From the start of the season Howat has revelled in the challenges set for him by Wallace and the rest of the Richmond coaching staff.

“I like the way we go about it. Although we are not winning, we play an exciting brand of football and are encouraged to run and bounce.

“I am not the quickest guy going around but I have probably got the endurance where I might be able to have longer sustained efforts than others,” Howat said.

This week he and the emerging Tigers outfit take on top-eight contender Hawthorn, with both teams looking to reverse last week’s poor performances.

“We were very disappointed with the way we played on the weekend. We thought the previous months we had taken some steps forward, and we played some pretty positive football without getting the results we wanted,” said the onetime Hawks supporter.

“But last weekend we just got cut out, and the run went out of our game. All the things we had been trying to build on, and had talked about and practised on the training track, just went out of our game.”

“So we have set ourselves to get back to what we know and how we want to play, and hopefully that will hold us in good stead.”

Full article at: http://richmondfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsId=47089

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
Re: Cam Howat
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 10:15:41 PM »
still has plenty to prove before I am sold

needs to add hardness, consistency and a semi-decent right foot to his game

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 10:53:12 PM »
Look the boy carries the ball and gets enough of it to suggest he may make it.
As for the semi decent right foot Bluey lets get the left one at 100% or close to it as  the clangers he occassionally comes up with are absolutely dreadful.
Last quarter v Sydney in red 2 and in rd 3 v Collingwood at critical times.
If he can improve on his skill, level bulk up more and become a better decision maker he'll be a better than just an average Richmond player. He's young and he will learn.

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 11:00:58 PM »
woah, that's not too many flaws then  ::)

the thing with Howat is that he is a receiver, we have got plenty of them and there is nothing that really puts Howat ahead of any of them.

I'm afraid that he just doesn't have what it takes. Just a feeling

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 11:12:20 PM »
Look without clutching at straws here and drawing parallels with examples of players who have made it or haven't made it with characterisitcs similar to Cam's I am of the assumption that the kid wants to learn and improve and the last few games he has played has suggested that he is trying to eliminate those flaws from out of his game. I thought he was very good on Sunday and he has a fair bit of pace also. Right now we have something to work with, hopefully in 2 years time we have a valuable team contributor. He was elevated off the rookie list last year and he has played regularly since then so perhaps the powers that be also see something that may not be apparent to all and sundry. Compared to the efforts and subsequent performances of some more experienced players on our list I think he has been good. ;)

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 12:42:22 AM »
Look without clutching at straws here and drawing parallels with examples of players who have made it or haven't made it with characterisitcs similar to Cam's I am of the assumption that the kid wants to learn and improve and the last few games he has played has suggested that he is trying to eliminate those flaws from out of his game. I thought he was very good on Sunday and he has a fair bit of pace also. Right now we have something to work with, hopefully in 2 years time we have a valuable team contributor. He was elevated off the rookie list last year and he has played regularly since then so perhaps the powers that be also see something that may not be apparent to all and sundry. Compared to the efforts and subsequent performances of some more experienced players on our list I think he has been good. ;)

No, he wasnt.

He was kept on the rookie list much to his annoyance and elevated again in round 1 for Cogs.  He's still a rookie, not a senior.
EAT EM ALIVE!