Author Topic: Joel eyes his toughest challenge (RFC)  (Read 1290 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Joel eyes his toughest challenge (RFC)
« on: August 30, 2007, 04:27:36 AM »
Tiger eyes his toughest challenge
6:44 PM Wed 29 August, 2007
By Greg Lange
for richmondfc.com.au

DEFENDER Joel Bowden has played 176  ??? bruising AFL games, but there’s a challenge ahead he’s not sure he’s ready to face.

Bowden is just one practical unit away from securing himself the title of primary school teacher, and despite enduring the intense verbal and physical warfare of Australian football, he is unsure whether he has what it takes to mix it in the schoolyard.

“Children could be the most brutal of all, because they are so honest,” Bowden tells richmondfc.com.au.

“Fortunately, I’ve not encountered anything yet that I’ve been criminally offended by, but you never know.”

Bowden is talking down his pedigree, of course. Both his parents and two of his brothers have been teachers at one stage or another, and with Bowden and his wife about to prepare their daughter’s first birthday party, he should have no trouble tackling any classroom rugrats once his AFL career comes to end.

Thankfully for Tiger fans, that’s still some way from happening, and despite the ladder position, Bowden says this year hasn’t been all bad for the club; the performances of Matthew Richardson and Nathan Foley providing plenty of inspiration for 2008.

“Both have probably been standouts at our football club this year,” Bowden says.

“I continue to enjoy watching Matthew play and give his all, as he has continued to do for over a decade. His performance over the last two weeks has exemplified that, taking 15 and 16 marks on very good defenders in Darren Glass and Mal Michael. He is an exception, especially at 32.”

“[Another highlight has been] seeing Nathan Foley produce football … I believed he was capable of on a regular basis.”

Bowden says the Tigers’ last three games against Collingwood, West Coast and Essendon, have also brightened the mood at Punt Road.

“To beat Collingwood and Essendon in the last two weeks has been a highlight because, as a Richmond person, it is always nice to beat your archenemies.”

Against St Kilda on Saturday, the Tigers have another opportunity to scupper the finals chances of another Victorian rival; a great incentive to finish the season off with a bang.

“It’s the last game and we need to finish a season, which hasn’t been great, on a positive note,” Bowden says. “St Kilda is a finals contender and if we are improving, which I think we have this year, it would be nice to beat a team above us on the ladder.”

TIGER TALK

How has fatherhood changed your routine in your spare time?
I’m consistently up earlier and I’ve spent a lot more time going for walks with a pram. Alice has certainly kept me smiling. She’s been a very big highlight in my life in a season that’s not been full of highlights.”

Any particular reason for naming your daughter Alice?
It was a mutual decision. We both liked the name.

Name one chore you would love to avoid doing, if possible.
Coming from a family of six, which never had a dishwasher until later on, I have an engrained dislike of doing the dishes. If I could get out of them it would be great.

Name one television show you enjoy watching during the week.
Spicks and Specks on the ABC. I’m a music enthusiast, so it’s interesting to hear the anecdotes and learn about artists.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsId=50061

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Joel eyes his toughest challenge (RFC)
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 10:10:58 AM »
By Greg Lange
for richmondfc.com.au

DEFENDER Joel Bowden has played 176  ??? bruising AFL games, but there’s a challenge ahead he’s not sure he’s ready to face.

didnt joel play his 200th last yr, or are they saying 176 consecutive games? but that also cant be right becaus eiirc, he was dropped for a week under spud

Tigermonk

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 12:53:05 PM »
Joel Bowden has played roughly 230+ games not sure on the exact figure
Joel is my wife's favorite player & she barracks for Collingwood l can't work that one out
there like 2 chickens bantering when they get together taking about kids ;D

boring Joel you should get down to the titty bar with the men talk about meeting babes & drinking bourbon

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 12:55:12 PM »
By Greg Lange
for richmondfc.com.au

didnt joel play his 200th last yr, or are they saying 176 consecutive games? but that also cant be right becaus eiirc, he was dropped for a week under spud

Joel missed Round 16 last year so it can't be 176 consecutive games  ???

Joel's played in total 234 games.

This year has been his highest ever in disposals for H/A games btw.

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/players/J/Joel_Bowden.html
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Tigermonk

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 12:58:27 PM »
By Greg Lange
for richmondfc.com.au

Joel missed Round 16 last year so it can't be 176 consecutive games  ???

Joel's played in total 234 games.

This year has been his highest ever in disposals for H/A games btw.

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/players/J/Joel_Bowden.html

l knew someone would come up with the correct figure
welldone old forum troll MT  ;D

Offline Piping Shrike

• Premiership Captain
  • Nothing today
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 01:00:12 PM »
It says 176 bruising games, so the other ones were just non-bruising games.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 01:39:14 PM »
welldone old forum troll MT  ;D
I would be offended Tigermonk if this wasn't true  :rollin. There's a couple of us here who were posters on the long gone Roarpower forum way back in 2000. We've suffered together lol.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Ox

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 07:01:17 PM »
still dont like him

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 07:05:41 PM »
Credit where it's due. Joel put his body on the line about 3 or 4 times backing in packs early on in the game against Essendon.