Author Topic: wireless broadband  (Read 4025 times)

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
wireless broadband
« on: August 23, 2007, 11:43:16 AM »
One for the techos.

Time for junior to get a laptop - with wireless broadband.
For the broadband he mostly plays online game runescape.
Will do a bit of snooping myself but any info on Best systems and provider gratefully accepted. ;D

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
Re: wireless broadband
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 11:49:50 AM »
CUB, generally Wireless broadband and online gaming don't go hand in hand as there is a fair degree latency (time between when a packet is sent and received) and the download limits are paltry compared to ADSL. If the online gaming is not unmetered then you will be up for a very expensive internet bill.

Here is a link to the best independent broadband information site in Australia. The Broadband choice database there is excellent to let you know what services are available in your area.
http://www.whirpool.net.au

Let me know if I can help any more. :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 06:45:35 PM »
One for the techos.

Time for junior to get a laptop - with wireless broadband.
For the broadband he mostly plays online game runescape.
Will do a bit of snooping myself but any info on Best systems and provider gratefully accepted. ;D
Just on the laptop CUB, if you want to work wireless just check around with each type/brand how long you can work before the battery runs out and needs recharging. I have a HP and for me I always have it plugged in so don't care but the time you can work wireless can vary between different laptops.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 03:46:21 PM »
CUB, generally Wireless broadband and online gaming don't go hand in hand as there is a fair degree latency (time between when a packet is sent and received) and the download limits are paltry compared to ADSL. If the online gaming is not unmetered then you will be up for a very expensive internet bill.

Have to agree with tiga on this.  I have looked at wireless before and its realy not an option for online gaming as the usage you get with the packages is so small. Stick to asdl or cable and get a wireless router/modem. He can use then use your connection indide your place via a wirelss network (not sure on speeds required for his game though)
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!