Author Topic: Vickery, Houli & Morris all Re-sign  (Read 2029 times)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Vickery, Houli & Morris all Re-sign
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2014, 11:36:14 AM »
Morris...dunno...the more I see, the less I like. Seems to be getting dumber as a footballer when he really should be getting smarter.

:phew :phew

And here I was thinking that I was the only one who was wondering about where Morris is headed ;D

Will never, ever question his courage, determination & attack on the contest but there's just a couple of things that are for me at least a cause for concern.

Firstly he goes to ground a lot. Outside of the obvious where he simply doesn't keep his feet (bit like rance  ;D). I also worry that when the ball is on the ground in dispute, he is more like to dive in to get the ball rather than keeping his feet. Remebering with the rule change about making contact below the knees means that is a free. He gave away a few last year and has this pre-season.

Second one is his decision making when it comes to tackling or bumping. Seems to have a tendency to try and bump an opponent when they have the ball rather than tackling. Appreciate it is a fine line but just think sometimes his first thought is to go the bump when he needs to tackle (which he is very good at BTW)

Interested in others thoughts/views
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2014, 12:57:18 PM »
Morris...dunno...the more I see, the less I like. Seems to be getting dumber as a footballer when he really should be getting smarter.

:phew :phew

And here I was thinking that I was the only one who was wondering about where Morris is headed ;D

Will never, ever question his courage, determination & attack on the contest but there's just a couple of things that are for me at least a cause for concern.

Firstly he goes to ground a lot. Outside of the obvious where he simply doesn't keep his feet (bit like rance  ;D). I also worry that when the ball is on the ground in dispute, he is more like to dive in to get the ball rather than keeping his feet. Remebering with the rule change about making contact below the knees means that is a free. He gave away a few last year and has this pre-season.

Second one is his decision making when it comes to tackling or bumping. Seems to have a tendency to try and bump an opponent when they have the ball rather than tackling. Appreciate it is a fine line but just think sometimes his first thought is to go the bump when he needs to tackle (which he is very good at BTW)

Interested in others thoughts/views
Couldn't disagree more if I tried.
I really don't know what people expect? Not every player is going to be Garry Ablett. All players are going to have their faults, even Gazza. Surely the things they do more consistently, and in Morris case it's beat his opponent HANDS DOWN which before he got here were the small forwards that used to kill us most games, should be the things we talk about.
Whether he bumps or tackles sometimes is a split second decision, and IMO is just part of footy. I can cop someone saying a bloke is lazy or unfit or soft but the things you mention are just IMO over critical.
 At least the kid gives 100% every time he puts on that Tigers jumper.
Every side in the AFL would be lucky to have a player like Morris.
Just my opinion.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2014, 01:30:04 PM »
I really don't know what people expect? Not every player is going to be Garry Ablett. All players are going to have their faults, even Gazza. Surely the things they do more consistently, and in Morris case it's beat his opponent HANDS DOWN which before he got here were the small forwards that used to kill us most games, should be the things we talk about.
Whether he bumps or tackles sometimes is a split second decision, and IMO is just part of footy. I can cop someone saying a bloke is lazy or unfit or soft but the things you mention are just IMO over critical.
Just my opinion.

Fair enough

And BTW what I wrote was just my opinion as well  :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2014, 01:34:20 PM »
I love Morris.
Sure he has rough edges but he gives his all at every contest.
I worry about how many head injuries he will sustain throughout his career with his kamikaze approach. Maybe that's why he is not getting any smarter!
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2014, 01:38:40 PM »
Agree with BT. Makes mistakes, certainly. But in setting the tone for intensity and routinely shutting down dangerous opponents, his positives FAR out way the negatives in my view.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2014, 01:44:48 PM »
Just my opinion.

Fair enough

And BTW what I wrote was just my opinion as well  :thumbsup
:thumbsup

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2014, 01:47:09 PM »
Morro is a champ. I loved it when he told Grigg to stuff off in his first season

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2014, 08:11:18 PM »
Very good news for all.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"