Author Topic: 2008 ruck combo?  (Read 1714 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
2008 ruck combo?
« on: December 10, 2007, 05:24:00 AM »
From aflinsider.net:

There is no more important position than the ruck, and following are some of the options that clubs have to fill that position in 2008.

Richmond - Troy Simmonds and Adam Pattison

Their ruck spot was a hospital ward last season, but everyone is ready to go this year. Simmonds and Pattison probably share the ruck duties, they also have the big body of Graham and recent draftee Putt who can play as a forward as well as in the ruck.

http://www.aflinsider.net/2008-ruck-combinations/

Is that enough?

richmondrules

Re: 2008 ruck combo?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 07:16:25 AM »
Enough? I would think it is a start. If the players on that list were proven Ruckmen then I would say we were looking pretty good. Unfortunately only Simmonds is experienced.

Patto is the next most experienced at the top level but he isn't really a Ruckman. Graham has all the tools (tall, big body) but he has yet to prove he knows what to do with them. Putt? Who knows, he's a kid who hasn't played a VFL game yet let alone an AFL game. Too much pressure for a young kid. Everything I have read about him implies he is more of a forward anyway.

Our ruck stocks look pretty thin if you ask me. If Simmonds can stay injury free we will be ok and we will have dodged a bullet. We didn't manage to dodge that bullet last year and we all know what happened.

Two years at least, with everything going right for us before we can feel confident in our ruck stocks IMO. If we can attract a good experienced ruckman then this will solve a lot of problems for us. Do we take a second rate one like Richards? I personally would prefer to concentrate on youngsters for the next couple of years and let what happens happen in the ruck. Take a ruck in the rookie draft if there are any worth giving a chance too.

This could get ugly. :-\

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 10:17:01 AM »
The chances of another year like last one with our ruck devision being as depleted as it was is fairly slim. To have your number one ruckman go down is bad luck, to have your second ruckman also struck by injury is shocking. Having to resort to Tucky as a ruckman was one of the lowlights of th year.

Patto is much more experienced as a 2nd ruckman this year and Angus is getting better with every game.

I think we will be much better around the ground the more experienced Patto and Angus get.

There is hope for improvement here

Stripes

Offline terrys tigers

• Tiger Rookie
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 10:22:32 AM »
What they forgot to say was that Graham Polak more than held his own in the ruck. I know its a bit of a drag to have to pull him out of the backline, but i think we could cover it well with Rance, Moore etc and if need be maybe rookie Silvester as coverage for the defensive posts. We need to look at picking up a rookie like Sullivan or Renton or both but don't feel we should waste a pick on a Fanning/Richards/Laycock who will never be any better than they are know. I think we need to face the fact that we are still 2 or 3 years away, run the risk next year and recruit/develope our own rucks.

Online mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 10:57:10 PM »
Our ruck stocks look pretty thin if you ask me. If Simmonds can stay injury free we will be ok and we will have dodged a bullet. We didn't manage to dodge that bullet last year and we all know what happened.

Two years at least, with everything going right for us before we can feel confident in our ruck stocks IMO. If we can attract a good experienced ruckman then this will solve a lot of problems for us. Do we take a second rate one like Richards? I personally would prefer to concentrate on youngsters for the next couple of years and let what happens happen in the ruck. Take a ruck in the rookie draft if there are any worth giving a chance too.

Yep if Simmo doesn't come up and play most of next season it's going to be a long year trying to win the ball at stoppages  :-\.

Despite that I'd rather go for another kid as a rookie too RROFO who may develop into a decent AFL ruckman long term rather than take a recycled ruckman as a stopgap measure for 1-2 years who struggles anyway. It's not like we are in our premiership window after winning the spoon.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 03:37:16 AM »
The chances of another year like last one with our ruck devision being as depleted as it was is fairly slim.

But very possible.

Richmond have not drafted a genuine Ruckman since Ottens in 1998, therefore the chances of it happening agian are quite probable due to the lack of quality & depth.

The RFC must get a big man strategy in place immediately , trying to PSD a Keating like ruckman will not happen even in the chubbiest of Miller dreams.

RFC have got to draft, rookie & develop (or discard) our own and not rely on cast-offs from other clubs.

Offline terrys tigers

• Tiger Rookie
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 07:54:02 AM »
WCE have rolled the dice for a number of years now with just Cox and Seaby as there only quality rucks. They have got away with it, but we dont seem to have this kind of luck.

richmondrules

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 09:17:13 AM »
Despite that I'd rather go for another kid as a rookie too RROFO who may develop into a decent AFL ruckman long term rather than take a recycled ruckman as a stopgap measure for 1-2 years who struggles anyway. It's not like we are in our premiership window after winning the spoon.

Agree MT. Hell, I'm used to suffering now. If getting the process right means pain for a couple more years then so be it. I'd prefer to suffer now and enjoy sustained success in the future than pick someone up who may help us to mediocre and fleeting success now.

Whether people like our coach, or our recruiting, or whatever, I look at our list now and I like the young talent I see. I cannot remember our list being as exciting for a loooooong time. Perhaps some may argue it could be better and we have missed opportunities and wasted some picks, but compared with previous years I am well pleased.

Bring on 2008!

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 12:28:43 PM »
Enough? I would think it is a start. If the players on that list were proven Ruckmen then I would say we were looking pretty good. Unfortunately only Simmonds is experienced.

Patto is the next most experienced at the top level but he isn't really a Ruckman. Graham has all the tools (tall, big body) but he has yet to prove he knows what to do with them. Putt? Who knows, he's a kid who hasn't played a VFL game yet let alone an AFL game. Too much pressure for a young kid. Everything I have read about him implies he is more of a forward anyway.

Cartledge was delisted before Laycock.

It doesnt get much more ugly than that.

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 12:41:42 PM »

Cartledge was delisted before Laycock.

It doesnt get much more ugly than that.

laycock goes alright erratic but talented

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 12:46:05 PM »
I fail to see how such a talented young ruckman could have been delisted by Essendon - whom are not overly blessed with rucking talent.

Hille - 26yoa - B Grade
Laycock - 23yoa - rubbish
Bellchambers - 18yob - drafted today, last pick PSD

3rd round rookie draft isn't too much of a risk. Just don't like Essendon hacks.

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 12:59:48 PM »
I fail to see how such a talented young ruckman could have been delisted by Essendon - whom are not overly blessed with rucking talent.

Hille - 26yoa - B Grade
Laycock - 23yoa - rubbish
Bellchambers - 18yob - drafted today, last pick PSD

3rd round rookie draft isn't too much of a risk. Just don't like Essendon hacks.

never said he was talented  :whistle

richmondrules

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2007, 01:35:32 PM »
He's had a year out of AFL. Perhaps something has clicked for him. Maybe he has developed physically. We had him at training we should have as good an idea about what we are getting as possible. He must have shown something to earn the second chance, something that doesn't happen too often after a years break. He's a rookie and the rookie list is the perfect place to experiment and take a bit of a gamble. If he has/does come good a ruckman is nothing to sneeze at. I don't mind the club taking a few risks and the odd gamble with the rookie list, that's exactly the right place for it. Forget Essendon, fresh start for the boy.