Author Topic: Coburg practice match  (Read 2951 times)

Offline harry bosch

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Coburg practice match
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2008, 06:23:33 PM »
I think Hughes got 3 of his 4 goals on gourdis so it needs to be put into perspective..

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2008, 08:09:25 PM »
I think Hughes got 3 of his 4 goals on gourdis so it needs to be put into perspective..

:-\ :-\

Gourdis doesnt play for Geeelong HB - this wasnt a interclub game :-\

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2008, 08:39:43 PM »
Sorry WP I was talking about the intra-club game  :thumbsup.

That's true HB but I'm not sure what else he was meant to do. Kick 8 in a quarter  ???. You can only play against the opponent you're on and Cleve made use of Gourdis' inexperience. Cleve also played well in the first scratch match so there was form to warrant a senior game IMO. I'm just perplexed over what the selection committee is doing with Cleve. It's not like we have a overabundance of tall marking forwards to kick to. Like last year when Cleve kicked 3 goals in consecutive weeks to be our forward with the best return in those games and then one poor game later he's out of the side. Sure he should have worked hard to force his way back into the side instead of ending up in the Coburg ressies but dropping him like that is hardly showing faith in a kid. You don't see Mark Williams at Port drop Westhoff after one bad game.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2008, 08:50:05 PM »

Oops sorry - cool

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2008, 04:09:08 AM »
A couple of pics from the game courtesy of the Geelong BF board:

http://i28.tinypic.com/311x3rr.jpg

http://i31.tinypic.com/5mh0lz.jpg

http://i25.tinypic.com/bgpv0m.jpg

Can anyone put names to the Coburg faces?

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2008, 09:14:00 AM »
No.11 looks like Polo (first pic).
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2008, 03:16:56 PM »
Cleve Hughes is a proven longkicking goalscorer

He is? :-\
You must be looking at a different player to me. Hughes has got plenty to prove.

Offline harry bosch

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2008, 04:12:21 PM »

That's true HB but I'm not sure what else he was meant to do. Kick 8 in a quarter  ???. You can only play against the opponent you're on and Cleve made use of Gourdis' inexperience. Cleve also played well in the first scratch match so there was form to warrant a senior game IMO. I'm just perplexed over what the selection committee is doing with Cleve. It's not like we have a overabundance of tall marking forwards to kick to. Like last year when Cleve kicked 3 goals in consecutive weeks to be our forward with the best return in those games and then one poor game later he's out of the side. Sure he should have worked hard to force his way back into the side instead of ending up in the Coburg ressies but dropping him like that is hardly showing faith in a kid. You don't see Mark Williams at Port drop Westhoff after one bad game.

That fair enough though i still don't mind us making him work harder to get a game , though if he does get in it would be crappy to see him dropped after one poor game again..

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2008, 08:22:24 PM »

That fair enough though i still don't mind us making him work harder to get a game , though if he does get in it would be crappy to see him dropped after one poor game again..
That's fair enough too HB. Cleve should have worked harder at Coburg and not have fallen away as badly as he did.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2008, 10:31:52 PM »
Pic 2 - left hand side is Matty White. Ruckman is big Beau whos surname escapes me. Cogs looks shielded behind the ruckman

Pic 3 - that looks like Cleve in the distance

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2008, 04:18:52 PM »
A week and a bit late but there's a report by Rawlings on the Coburg vs Geelong game in EOTT.

http://210.50.4.102/rfc/

Some snippets:
Schulz was B.O.G. - 19 possessions, 9 marks.

Howat 33 possies and he was commended on his disposal both by hand and foot.

Collins had 19 possies in just over 50% game time.

Rance is very professional with his recovery from ankle injury.

Gourdis has genuine power but now needs to learn how to use it. On a major educational program.