Author Topic: AFG receives threats, anthrax scare over being mistaken for troubled Allco  (Read 1484 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Concern for Tigers over mistaken sponsor
Mark Hawthorne | March 11, 2008

A CASE of mistaken identity between Richmond Football Club sponsor AFG and embattled finance company Allco Finance Group has raised concerns about player safety at the club.

Richmond president Gary March says the safety of Richmond players will be discussed at the next board meeting after the club's key sponsor of four years, Australian Finance Group, revealed that an envelope containing a mystery white powder was posted to its Perth headquarters.

AFG also has revealed that the tyres of company cars have been slashed and that its staff had received threatening phone calls and emails at its offices around the country.

The calls and emails have come from angry Allco investors, who have seen the company's share price plunge from $12.60 in May to a low of 39 cents in February.

Sadly for AFG, which is Australia's biggest mortgage broker, Allco's stock exchange code happens to be "AFG" — but it has no financial or business relationship with Australian Finance Group.

West Australian police closed down AFG's headquarters after the mystery envelope was opened on February 7, amid fears that the envelope may contain anthrax spores.

Toxicology tests since have cleared the powder of any biohazards.

"The threats have been going on for weeks," AFG director Kevin Matthews said.

"We are having to cope with a lot of internal disruption and unpleasantness from misdirected hate calls."

Matthews said the safety of Richmond players was central to the company's decision to go public about the anthrax scare.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/concern-over-mistaken-sponsor/2008/03/10/1205125821332.html
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 02:22:16 AM by one-eyed »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
AFG kicking into the wind (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 02:18:21 AM »
AFG kicking into the wind
John Beveridge
March 11, 2008

WHO would have thought a stock market code could cause so many problems?

In one of the more bizarre side effects of the troubles besetting the Allco Finance Group, a totally unrelated company, Australian Finance Group, has been copping plenty of unjustified flak.

Perhaps best known in Victoria for sponsoring the Richmond Tigers, AFG has endured a string of abusive phone calls, the deflation of company car tyres and even a hoax anthrax attack after an envelope of white powder was sent to their Perth office.

"The problem we are facing is that although AFG is the trademarked name of our company, it is also the ASX code of Allco Finance Group," explained AFG director Kevin Matthews.

"While everyone in the industry knows the difference, there is a blurring of identity by people who are further removed.

"While we really do sympathise with Allco investors, we're having to cope with a lot of internal disruption and unpleasantness from misdirected hate calls."

Kevin said AFG - which is Australia's largest mortgage aggregator - was now reconsidering plans for a poster campaign because it might just make the company a bigger target.

He said AFG was obviously concerned, particularly about the biohazard attack and incidents where AFG branded company cars had their tyres let down.

Let's hope there is no similar backlash of angry investors against the Richmond Tigers - they have enough problems on the park as it is.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23351308-664,00.html

richmondrules

The calls and emails have come from angry Allco investors, who have seen the company's share price plunge from $12.60 in May to a low of 39 cents in February.

If you don't even know who the company is that you have invested your money with then I can say I am surprised that you might lose it.  ::)

Ramps

If you don't even know who the company is that you have invested your money with then I can say I am surprised that you might lose it.  ::)

thats actually a fair point lol. these idiots dont seem to know what they have invested in.

Offline F0551L

• One Eyed Richmond Gold member "eat em alive" Marching on to Victory in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Strong and Bold
Re: AFG kicking into the wind (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 04:25:11 PM »
   maybe an envelope or 2 of white powder sent to punt road will provide some impetus for the players  :rollin :rollin

AFG kicking into the wind
John Beveridge
March 11, 2008

WHO would have thought a stock market code could cause so many problems?

In one of the more bizarre side effects of the troubles besetting the Allco Finance Group, a totally unrelated company, Australian Finance Group, has been copping plenty of unjustified flak.

Perhaps best known in Victoria for sponsoring the Richmond Tigers, AFG has endured a string of abusive phone calls, the deflation of company car tyres and even a hoax anthrax attack after an envelope of white powder was sent to their Perth office.

"The problem we are facing is that although AFG is the trademarked name of our company, it is also the ASX code of Allco Finance Group," explained AFG director Kevin Matthews.

"While everyone in the industry knows the difference, there is a blurring of identity by people who are further removed.

"While we really do sympathise with Allco investors, we're having to cope with a lot of internal disruption and unpleasantness from misdirected hate calls."

Kevin said AFG - which is Australia's largest mortgage aggregator - was now reconsidering plans for a poster campaign because it might just make the company a bigger target.

He said AFG was obviously concerned, particularly about the biohazard attack and incidents where AFG branded company cars had their tyres let down.

Let's hope there is no similar backlash of angry investors against the Richmond Tigers - they have enough problems on the park as it is.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23351308-664,00.html
EAT EM ALIVE 2016 TIGERS

Retired to the Bench

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame

Heh, yup must have googled it, found the contact details hoped for the best.   :-[
EAT EM ALIVE!

Tigermonk

l make one mistake in a post & your after my blood welldone forum troll  :clapping :clapping :clapping

kick it to me

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
l make one mistake in a post & your after my blood welldone forum troll  :clapping :clapping :clapping

kick it to me

lol one mistake.  You've been posting rubbish on this forum almost since you first started, I've just managed to ignore you but that post was full of so much rubbish it just needed ripping apart properly, and I did.

Chin up Magpie.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Tigermonk

you just been peeed off since the Collingwood vs Richmond thread haha so what you big football star
l couldnot care less what you think cause l dont have any problems with it forum troll
girlie

Tigermonk

l stuffed up one post Forum Troll on Cotchin & you think your a ambassador to the forum  :rollin :rollin :rollin l already admitted in previous posts that night l was drinking who cares your great footballer
you wanted to be a footballer but had no balls

kick it to me

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame

l stuffed up one post Forum Troll on Cotchin & you think your a ambassador to the forum  :rollin :rollin :rollin l already admitted in previous posts that night l was drinking who cares your great footballer
you wanted to be a footballer but had no balls

kick it to me

lol cant read either?

Already told you it's because you've pretty much always been a major effwit who babbles pooh but I've let it go.  It wasnt just Cotchin, your whole post was full of rubbish

Its about time you were told about it.

Hmm yeah I think you should understand that pretty clearly now, surely.  ::)

BTW this is overall the end of saga.  By now if you dont see what I think of you, you clearly will either never get it or just keep being a worthless tosser.   :gotigers
EAT EM ALIVE!

Tigermonk

haha you can personaly attack me all you want forum troll your shining  :rollin :rollin

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Enough with the personal insults and sniping and back to the topic >:(
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: AFG kicking into the wind (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2008, 08:48:30 PM »
   maybe an envelope or 2 of white powder sent to punt road will provide some impetus for the players
Can't recall the chicken poo having any long term effect!  :o