Author Topic: Former AFL star, brother jailed for assault  (Read 1134 times)

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Former AFL star, brother jailed for assault
« on: July 30, 2008, 02:28:34 PM »
July 30, 2008 12:33pm

FORMER Richmond AFL player Andrew Krakouer has been sentenced to a minimum 16 months in jail for a serious assault in Fremantle in late 2006.

Krakouer was sentenced today in the West Australian District Court in Perth to 32 months in prison after a mandatory one-third discount on his sentence was taken into account.

The sentence has been backdated to June 18 this year, when Krakouer was convicted of the assault on 24-year-old Justin Martin outside a nightclub in Fremantle in December 2006.

Krakouer's younger brother Tyrone was today sentenced to a maximum 16 months in prison, with a minimum eight months, for his part in the assault.

Andrew Krakouer was found guilty of assault with intent to cause bodily harm, while Tyrone was found guilty of a lesser assault charge.

During the trial, Mr Martin had admitted to "king-hitting" Krakouer in 2001 as part of a long-standing feud between female members of his own family and the Krakouer clan.

Mr Martin said when the pair next met outside the Harbourside nightclub in Fremantle, Krakouer challenged him to a fight, saying, "let's sort it out now".

Prosecutor Bruno Fiannaca told the trial that Mr Martin was left in a coma after the fight and had suffered ongoing psychological problems.

Krakouer, from a famous footballing family, was delisted from the AFL after playing 102 matches and kicking 102 goals for Richmond.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,24101067-2,00.html

bushranger

Re: Former AFL star, brother jailed for assault
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 02:46:58 PM »
Is this a case of the apple not falling to far from the tree ?

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 05:22:14 PM »
Personally I think the punishment is pretty harsh
Mustn't have had a very good lawyer, that or racism is alive and well in WA

Offline mjs

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 05:43:20 PM »
Personally I think the punishment is pretty harsh
Mustn't have had a very good lawyer, that or racism is alive and well in WA

Were you in court for the trial? If you weren't how do you arrive at that view?

I posted two months ago that an unbiased Barrister friend of mine who specializes in work for the Aboriginal Legal Service predicted that he'd get 18 months with parole and he was spot on.

Ox

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 06:03:14 PM »
punching on with a sh itman who previously king hit u is far different than running lou reed over the Border for Eddie McGuire :rollin

Good on krak for standing up for himself.

imo the bloke deserved it

Offline shannon

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 06:09:59 PM »
omg we agreed on something

:banghead
DELEDIO FOR CAPTAIN ASAP!

Offline mjs

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 07:34:56 PM »
punching on with a sh itman who previously king hit u is far different than running lou reed over the Border for Eddie McGuire :rollin

That's a joke ......right?

Ox

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 07:53:31 PM »

No....

If someone king hit me I'd be hard pressed to hold back from smashing his head in down the track.

I reckon the story about the other bloke having mental problems has nothing to with the assault,just more money and a sympathetic outcome.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 08:29:38 PM »

No....

If someone king hit me I'd be hard pressed to hold back from smashing his head in down the track.

I reckon the story about the other bloke having mental problems has nothing to with the assault,just more money and a sympathetic outcome.

Bizarre?

He was a good tackle.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Tigermonk

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 09:32:42 PM »
tragic for a young fella, l think he copped it too harsh.
l seen repeat killer drink drivers get less so where is the justice in our society

Online julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 07:44:27 AM »
Wasn't there a thread already on this topic in General Discussion?