Author Topic: Plough's aftermatch media conference / A reality check, says Wallace  (Read 598 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
* Most sides who play Geelong get a reality check. Our competitiveness he has no issue - contested possies, tackling.

* They are clearly a very experienced side with 13 100+ game players. We were able to compete early in the quarters then got the better off us. They kicked 10 goals to nil in time on.

* They get rolling back forcing us to make decisions and we turned it over. It's a kicking game and you've got to be good with your skills.

* 13 goals to 6 from turnovers. Massive difference. Structural difference too. We didn't have tall hit up targets. Their experienced backline keep rolling back and we didn't handle it well at all.

* We're not where they are obviously but we're around the mark where others they've beaten are. We're going in the right direction but we've obviously got to tidy things up still and need to do so to get better.

* Are Geelong unbeatable? Well we play Hawthorn in 2 weeks so ask him again then.

* The media gave Jacko praise for keeping Bartel quiet after halftime.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 12:04:19 AM by one-eyed »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
A reality check, says Wallace (RFC)
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 12:03:07 AM »
A reality check, says Wallace
By Matt Burgan
10:29 PM Sat 02 August, 2008

RICHMOND coach Terry Wallace has labelled his side's 63-point loss against Geelong at Telstra Dome on Saturday night as a reality check.

In his post-match media conference, Wallace said he had no problem with his side's competitiveness, but he conceded turnovers cost the Tigers.

"Thirteen goals to six from turnovers – that's a massive difference between the two sides," he said.

"We've still got a way to go and we know that and understand that, but also if you have a look at other sides – good sides in the competition – they've beaten Adelaide in Adelaide by 68 points and the Bulldogs two weeks ago down at Geelong by 61 points. They're a very good side.

"We're not to where they are, but I think we're around the same mark as where they've beaten other sides by.

"I would think the Geelong footy club is getting more competitive games against Richmond now than in the past. I still think that says we're going in the right direction, but clearly we've still got some things to clean up if you want to be the best."

So does Wallace think Geelong is unbeatable come September?

"Oh well, they're a great side, but we've got Hawthorn in a couple of weeks, so ask me the question in a couple of weeks and I'll probably have a better answer for you," he said.

Meanwhile, Wallace said in relation to Richmond's finals prospects that "you do your head in" trying to work out the permutations that would see the Tigers make the top eight.

"That's why people love this time of the year, because it's exciting. And it's great to be part of an exciting game over in Adelaide next week for our supporters and obviously the Crows supporters – that's what footy's about..

"We're very pleased to be still alive and in that position and compete."

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsId=64695

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Wallace tells Tigers to put loss behind them (Age)
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 03:40:44 AM »
Wallace tells Tigers to put loss behind them
Lyall Johnson | August 3, 2008

THE true impact of Richmond's 10-goal touch-up by Geelong would be assessed over the coming weeks, according to coach Terry Wallace, who said his side had to put it behind them and "reload" in its push to make the finals.

The Cats put the boot into the Tigers last night with pressure football that caused the young Richmond side to cough up the ball consistently. Of the Cats' 20 goals, 13 of them resulted directly from turnovers.

"We just need to reload and get on with the rest (of the season)," Wallace said. "There's been plenty of sides beaten by Geelong and it's what you do over the three or four weeks after you play Geelong — whether it puts you back into your shell or whether you are just prepared to get on and play the footy.

"What were we? Five out of six leading into this game? It's five out of seven now — that's still pretty reasonable form for this time of the year, so we've just got to reload."

Wallace said the result showed how good Geelong was rather than how poor Richmond might have appeared and that his side, while still with plenty of work to do, was somewhere about where other sides were in relation to Geelong.

"I think that most sides that play Geelong get a reality check don't they? I mean that's the nature of where they're at and their football at the moment," he said.

"I thought our competitiveness in the game I had no issue with at all. When you look at contested possessions and tackle rations between the two sides, there wasn't that much difference.

"So cracking in and trying to get first use of the ball. It was 13 goals to six from turnovers, that's a massive difference between the two sides.

"We've still got a way to go, we know that and we understand that. But you have a look at other sides, good sides, in the competition. I think they beat Adelaide in Adelaide on their own ground by 68 point. They beat the Bulldogs two weeks ago down at Geelong by 60 points. They're a very good side.

"We're not to where they are, (but) I think we're around the same mark as what they've beaten other sides by. I would think Geelong would say they've been a much better side than (Richmond) over my period of time (as coach), but I think Geelong footy club would say we're getting more competitive games against Richmond now than what we were in the past."

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/wallace-tells-tigers-to-put-loss-behind-them/2008/08/03/1217097625337.html