Author Topic: Gerard Whately on ABC radio  (Read 1287 times)

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Gerard Whately on ABC radio
« on: August 03, 2008, 12:52:54 PM »
Whately on the ABC brought up a few interesting comments, interesting to hear your opinions.
* Thought the Tigers played well yet lost by 63 points
* Alot of mistakes but at least they took the game on
* Played corridoor footy and that played into Geelongs hands
* Hopes there is no back lash on Wallace as at least he put on a game plan that displays where the Tigers are headed
* Hopes other teams tackle Tackle Geelong ie. Melbourne next week, the same way we did last night.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Gerard Whately on ABC radio
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 04:41:46 PM »
Agree with a lot of those comments. Our endeavour was good and we never gave up trying to take them on but after the first 15-20 minutes we got smashed if we're honest. Geelong are/were just too classy and experienced and they wore us down body on body and forced us into error after error. Not a disaster but it shows where we really are at at this stage. It also shows we shouldn't trade away our picks for just one experienced player.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

jackstar

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 04:51:09 PM »
It showed that ''smaller bodied " players arent going to match it with powerfull 6ft 2 runners, as was the case last night.
Jake King was easily pushed aside by taller opponents.
Morton -likewise, was pushed off the ball to easy.
We bascially have recruited too many small players and some of the taller ones hardly put any pressure on the opposition. eg Schulz and Patterson- PATHETIC!

Offline mjs

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 07:26:46 PM »

I wasn't that upset except for our turnovers - haven't seen the final figures but at one stage it was 45 to 15 errors on the scoreboard and that's the game.

We were not out of it completely when Edwards Sarge and Jack missed complete sitters and cats kicked the last four or so in junk time.

Umpiring ruined the game for me - it seemed like every contested mark was a free kick to the player in front.

Re the crowd - how many does it actually hold? Looked basically full to me. Saturday nite is a big social time - people have plenty of other commitments.

Offline mjs

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 07:31:56 PM »

I watched Ottens after the siren to see how many - if any - tiger players went up to him and heaps did. He didn't have to go looking for any, so he might have more mates there now than he did when he left.. ;)

Didn't do much all nite.

Won't be writing him any more love notes Jack   :rollin

(bet he regrets leaving - more money than we were paying let alone the drop we asked him to take plus a premiership in the kit bag and a few more to come.  :banghead

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 07:38:26 PM »
Was happy with our endevour but we were outclassed, outmuscled and outplayed. They are just such a strong team with little to now weaknesses. I agree with you about Kingy and Patto - just look out of their league.

I was not disappointed with the result but if we lose next week I will be...and I know I won't be the only one!  :invasion

Stripes

jackstar

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 07:42:17 PM »
Was happy with our endevour but we were outclassed, outmuscled and outplayed. They are just such a strong team with little to now weaknesses. I agree with you about Kingy and Patto - just look out of their league.

I was not disappointed with the result but if we lose next week I will be...and I know I won't be the only one!  :invasion

Stripes

King, Patto and Schulz.
Need to give Angus Graham a game next week

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 08:34:02 PM »

Would think Cartledge deserve a go ahead of Graham...IMO his form has been much better but slight problem is he is a rookie ;D

I thought last night we were fighting out of our weight division Heavy weight champs -v- junior light weights but we are improving

Agree with most of Whately's comments

Turnovers were costly but game plan as as been shown over the last 7 weeks is good, it is the execution that's the issue when under pressure. Whether that pressure is direct or implied
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 02:24:32 PM »
Whether that pressure is direct or implied

How true WP.
esp in the 2nd and 3rd qt, a lot of our players thought they were 'hotter' than they actually were.
Geelong, like Brisbane a few years ago, can do this to you. The trick is to give it back, like we did in the 1st quarter. 

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 02:46:57 PM »
King, Patto and Schulz.

Schulz has been an asset to the backline. With Polak's future uncertain he in unlikely to be going anywhere.

Stripes