Author Topic: Sugar and Bowden to play on in 2009  (Read 2483 times)

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
Re: Sugar and Bowden to play on in 2009
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2008, 09:08:17 PM »
I'm glad these 2 are on the list for at least 09, cos with Tivva, Hyde, Petts superceded by younger fella's there is a need for some experience retention on the list.

Also allows for some list management options in terms of the 2 nominated veterans in the salary cap.  Shrewd start for Craig Cameron as it provides for freedom come 2010 & 2011 when GC17 & Western Sydney RooDogs enter the comp.

2010 will see the clean-out begin in earnest of 3 of the 5 oldest vets on the list in Suga, Joel, N.G Brown, Simmo & Richo, so I'm satisfied that there will be a managed transition of playing stocks hopefully in to a sustainable successful era.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2008, 09:10:37 PM »
Bwaha! This has made my day.
Maybe we could have another half @rsed Bowden poll.  :P

What does 'Bwaha' mean? How has it made your day and why do want to make a poll up about Bowden?

We all know which posters believe Bowden should remain on our list and who doesn't. The trick is to argue the facts and not make it personal otherwise you show weakness.

I think Bowden has been an asset to the team over the last few weeks since he has been moved out of the backline where his flaws were exemplified.

It's interesting that TW is now using both Richo and Bowden all over the ground depending upon where the greatest need is. This also allows for an easier transition when they eventually move on with our team structures allowed to be established with youth without them being part of it.

He is a clever coach that TW.

Stripes

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2008, 09:21:20 PM »
These blokes when they do retire (Kane and Joel), their retirement needs to have the least amount of impact overall on the side and not leave a gaping hole in the sides structure lets say as when Richo retires. I would have seen it of merit if 1 of these blokes retired at the end of the year preferably Kane and Bowden possibly at the end of next year. Even though both of these players have at times been not in the side due to injury or form we have shown we can adapt and play competently without them so overall it won't be the huge loss many think will occur. Impact on the team will be minimal. Lets just say these two blokes will be used as pinch hitters more especially Joel depending on necessity and game trend as seen at either end of the ground v Bombers and Lions  hopefully Jonno gives up the captaincy to either Lids or Axel. Kane is slow as his and the game is passing him by. He should have been retired by the club at the end of the year.

Offline Rex

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2008, 09:56:58 PM »
Bowden most definightly he's a proven champ. Sugar I bloody hope not, especially as captain. He doesn't deserve the job, go back to where you came from is all I can say. I can see bowden helping out the young ones on what and how to position themselves on the feild.
But Sugar has nothing to add to the team.
Now if we put a hat in and everyone put in to show him we no long need him will he take the money and leave and never come back. I'll put in just to see his ugly butt walk out the door.
Dont agree at all. Sugar has had a pretty good year. A very good pick up IMO. I think he should stand down as captain though. JB and Sugar to play on is a great move. We need experience to go with the youth.

Ramps

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2008, 10:14:06 AM »
As I said in the previous post, we are making a list management error with this decision. One of the two players should have retired this year and the other at the end of 2009. We will have 5 senior players all leaving at the same time down the track and that will not help the club at all at that time.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2008, 11:20:52 AM »

.......Sugar I bloody hope not, especially as captain. He doesn't deserve the job, go back to where you came from is all I can say.

.......As long as Sugar signs off on the captainsy, He's the false pretender and should hand it over. But if he stays I bet he'll keep it. Cause it makes him feel important.

The captaincy of an AFL club is something much bigger than a '2 hour per week, inspire them with courageous deeds' role.  To captain effectively takes a commitment of 7 days per week and encompasses more than just leading by example.  I think Johnson gets treated very unfairly by many because they focus too much on the visible and do not pay enough respect to the role he plays off-field.  He gets mentioned very favourably in almost every article or interview with any of our players and that tells me that he has a significant amount of respect within the team.  He is not our best player but most definitely not our worst, is still well within our best 22 and plays an important role in the team structure, especially with so many kids still developing and learning.  A couple of unsolicited quotes from Deledio's interview with Caro sums it all up.......

"Kane Johnson has been the biggest influence on me at the club. He never lets up on me, he's been really good at making sure I have a level head and he doesn't let me get ahead of myself. He also wants me to make the best of myself."

"Kane's got a happy knack of throwing in a little dagger here and there; he always keeps me on my toes, I guess, because he could see how much ability I had."

"He's always got a couple of things he tells me I could have improved on after a game. He's not big on compliments but that's not what he's there for."

Johnson's brand of tough love was so intense in Deledio's first couple of seasons that there were concerns at the club that the captain might have pushed him too hard.

"It wasn't so much what he did say, but what he didn't," said Deledio. "The looks of disgust made me feel pretty bad. Like I'd let him down. He is a bit like a father figure and you don't like letting your dad down."  One week later Deledio completed the Tan in 13.08.

All this from a player with more potential than Johnson ever had and who will most likely surpass anything Johnson ever did on the field.  They all learn from someone and I for one am very comfortable with the job Johnson has done and continues to do as Captain, and if he does decide to step down from the job at the end of the year then I will be first in line to say well done and thank you.

Offline Beren

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2008, 11:34:30 AM »
Spot on Smokey!

It's interesting that TW is now using both Richo and Bowden all over the ground depending upon where the greatest need is. This also allows for an easier transition when they eventually move on with our team structures allowed to be established with youth without them being part of it.

He is a clever coach that TW.

Stripes

Not only easier transition but getting valuable mentoring and experience into the kids.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2008, 12:27:10 AM »

We all know which posters believe Bowden should remain on our list and who doesn't. The trick is to argue the facts and not make it personal otherwise you show weakness.

Hope you master the trick and get your strength back at some stage then.  :)
As far as Bowden goes, you use your personal opinion and sweeping statements about him instead of facts.

It's hard to know what to say if you actually think I want another poll about Bowden.  :help

In response to your earlier post (reply #6) , if Bowden was delisted someone would still have to go because it wouldn't free up one of the 3 compulsory spots on the main list
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Tigermonk

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2008, 08:27:58 AM »
Bowden played another great game yesterday with pinpoint kicks
Great player & some of you wanted him & Tuck dropped  :lol
Tuck has that B&F wrapped up, March is putting his name on it now  :thumbsup what a great player his become. one of my favorites

Tigermonk

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2008, 08:29:55 AM »

Hope you master the trick and get your strength back at some stage then.  :)
As far as Bowden goes, you use your personal opinion and sweeping statements about him instead of facts.

It's hard to know what to say if you actually think I want another poll about Bowden.  :help

In response to your earlier post (reply #6) , if Bowden was delisted someone would still have to go because it wouldn't free up one of the 3 compulsory spots on the main list

;D

Tigermonk

« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2008, 08:35:52 AM »

I think Bowden has been an asset to the team over the last few weeks since he has been moved out of the backline where his flaws were exemplified.

Stripes

funny that Bowden was mainly around the backline yesterday directing traffic again, helping out like always. Great foot skills & everyone makes a mistake or 2 but his one of the finess footballers l ever seen.
& they brought who to the club to clean up the kicking skills  :rollin you wouldnot rely on McMahon OMFG what a dirty day
his disposal is one of the worst at the club