Author Topic: Cameron Schwab  (Read 4177 times)

Offline dereel-tiger

• Future Richmond star
Re: Cameron Schwab
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2008, 08:42:33 AM »
l dont know if it will be schwab .
from media reports the tigers are looking at someone outside the afl BRIAN WALDRON.
hes doing a great job at the storm ,and is very highly regarded .
the rugby league is a very is alot more volatile market than the afl ,with players coming and going .
and hes done a great job at managing his players .
yes he has been a tiger in the past ,but he was at the tigers when the board was coming and going .
a more stable board would certainly make his job alot easier .

Im not a fan of seeing people back at the club, who have come from the clubs admin in the past,when the side was a diabolical mess at that time. I cant see Richmond supporters supporting the return of Cameron Schwab or Brian Waldron.

yeah thats true ramps but the supporters dont get to decide .
waldron is the only person l can think of that is outside the afl,and with the tigers having a good relationship with the storm he seems the logical one.
l would not be happy if we get someone who has no afl experience ,which l dont think will happen .
lambert could be an interesting one ,maybe the tigers have spoken to him about being director of football .
it pays alot more than being an assistant ,and sheep is a very smart guy .
the only thing would be if he wanted to shift his family back here.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2008, 08:15:58 PM »
I agree DRT Waldron would be one from outside the AFL who has AFL experience but I don't see him though taking a step back down from CEO to football manager. As for Lambert he would need a huge change of heart to come back to Richmond from what I was told.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline harry bosch

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2008, 08:18:02 PM »
http://blogs.thewest.com.au/sport/john-townsend-legacy-a-positive-for-schwab/

JOHN TOWNSEND - Legacy a positive for Schwab

There is a marvellous story about Cameron Schwab that reveals much about his strengths and weaknesses as a football administrator.

In 2002, Melbourne centreman Shane Woewodin was one of the hottest properties in footy.

He had won a Brownlow and played in a grand final with the Demons only two years earlier but had just been sacked because of salary cap pressures.

Plenty of clubs thought he was worth recruiting – if the money was right – though Collingwood were the frontrunners after talking to Melbourne about a trade.

Enter Schwab.

He had been in charge of Freo for about a year and prided himself on his recruiting prowess.

There was no player he didn’t think he could get to the Dockers. It was just a matter of coming up with the right deal.

His Woewodin plan was easy.

He rang Woewodin’s manager and made a plain and powerful offer.

“We will pay him $600,000 a year to come to Fremantle,” Schwab said, elevating Woewodin to the most stratospheric level of the AFL pay scale.

“If he agrees, we will do a deal that will guarantee he comes to Freo.”

The manager had a couple of questions, including wondering what Fremantle coach Chris Connolly thought and how the Dockers would fit him under their salary cap.

“Don’t worry about that,” Schwab said. “I’ll look after it.”

The news of Schwab’s unilateral offer didn’t take long to get around, particularly given that Woewodin’s manager was driving in his car with another club’s assistant coach when he took the call.

It eventually came to nothing but not before the Dockers, not for the first time, suffered some internal angst about the right hand doing something that the left hand knew nothing about.

That was Schwab in a nutshell.

On one hand, a visionary with a stunning plan that could give his club an immediate boost; on the other, a flaky opportunist flying by the seat of his pants with little regard for the consequences.

The Woewodin deal never happened but it says much for Fremantle’s operations during nearly a decade with Schwab at the helm.

Questionable recruiting has been Fremantle’s Achilles heel during that period but, equally, there were remarkable coups that saw Jeff Farmer, Josh Carr and Luke McPharlin while the club’s off-field position has never been stronger.

Fremantle still lacks respect but it has never been better placed as a club to start to move upwards on the field as it has done off it.

Schwab has left a positive legacy. And he eventually did get Woewodin the club, even if it was only in a short-lived role as a coaching assistant.

What do you think?

Offline Obelix

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2008, 10:53:06 PM »
Not sure if this guy is quite what we want for the job - would certainly be useful for other roles but not Miller's IMO.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2008, 01:49:48 AM »
Schwab joined Freo as CEO in September 2001. After our PF loss, Freo offered Gas $700k to cross the nullabor only for everyone to find out later, after we retained Gas on a $$$ contract mind you, that had the Gas to Freo deal gone through it would've pushed Freo over their salary cap. So that Woewodin story doesn't surprise me. Schwab did turn Freo from a $8m debt ridden club into a profitable one but history shows he should stay away from football dept decisions and he's not the person to replace Miller. 
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
March opposed to Schwab running the footy dept (Australian)
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2008, 04:41:06 AM »
Cameron Schwab favourite for Demons role 
Greg Denham | August 05, 2008

CAMERON Schwab has firmed as Melbourne's next chief executive after the Demons were informed yesterday that Geelong chief operating officer Stuart Fox would not be applying for the job.

Fox, who was on a short list of three for the vacant Melbourne position - the others being Schwab and Hawthorn chief operating officer Terry Dillon - informed the headhunting firm charged with recommending candidates on Sunday night that he was out of the picture.

Instead, it is understood Fox is interested in becoming the Gold Coast's first chief executive, and held discussions with the AFL's chief operating officer Gillon McLachlan last week.

Schwab, who returns to Victoria today for a month's break after seven years as chief executive of Fremantle, told The Australian last month that he did not know why his name had been linked to the Demons after Paul McNamee was sacked less than four months into the chief executive's role.

"I've given it no consideration and I won't be giving it any consideration," he said.

Yesterday he reiterated those comments and said: "I haven't given it any thought. I need some clear time to weigh up what I do next, and whatever that role is, I want to focus on it for the next eight to 10 years."

However, sources close to the new Melbourne regime - chairman Jim Stynes and general manager of football operations Chris Connolly - yesterday declared Schwab would be made a priority to rejoin the club.

It appears the most likely scenario in light of the fact that Richmond is now distancing itself from links with Schwab to take over the role of general manager of football operations following the recent sacking of Greg Miller.

It is understood Richmond president Gary March is opposed to Schwab running the Tigers football department, despite the 44-year-old former Tigers chief executive with a strong Richmond heritage fitting most of the criteria of March's job description.

March said Miller's successor should be a "contemporary" person with the necessary experience to have an immediate input into decisions made about drafting, trading and possible further changes to the Tigers' football department.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24128875-5012432,00.html

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2008, 02:35:41 PM »
Cameron Schwab has rejoined the Dees as their new CEO.

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2008, 02:42:21 PM »
Cameron Schwab has rejoined the Dees as their new CEO.

Thank Geez for that.  :clapping
EAT EM ALIVE!