Author Topic: Mark Neeld  (Read 946 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Mark Neeld
« on: July 21, 2009, 03:13:43 AM »
Neeld is another candidate in the running to be our next coach....

Pies float Mark Neeld for Richmond job
Jay Clark | July 21, 2009

COLLINGWOOD chiefs have declared assistant coach Mark Neeld capable of causing a boilover in the Richmond coaching race.

The Magpies have thrown their full support behind the assistant, whose two-year reign as backline coach has won high acclaim at the club.

Neeld, 38, will present to the Tigers' selection panel this week on the back of a strong recommendation from Magpies coach Mick Malthouse.

Collingwood chief of football Geoff Walsh said Neeld's impressive turn in control of the team's NAB Cup campaign had convinced it he was ready to become a senior coach.

"He handled that responsibility during the pre-season extremely well, endorsing our opinion that he is a very strong senior coaching candidate," Walsh said.

"We are delighted with the way he has progressed, and he would be the first to admit the AFL environment has really allowed him to blossom.

"Players appreciate his honesty and the way he can deliver a constructive message."

The club credited Neeld for a major role in the improvement of its backline, which includes four - Simon Prestigiacomo, Nick Maxwell, Harry O'Brien and Heath Shaw - in the All-Australian mix.

Nathan Buckley will have the pick of the coaching jobs, but it is believed the Magpies legend is favouring North Melbourne or a senior assistant's opportunity at Collingwood over the Richmond job.

Neeld, who played 26 games with the Tigers and 48 for Geelong in the mid-1990s, will have to overcome a lower profile than leading candidates such as Hawthorn's Damien Hardwick and Leon Cameron from the Western Bulldogs.

But Magpies captain Maxwell felt Neeld's 13-year teaching background and ability to develop young players gave his coaching an edge.

"He's someone the players didn't know much about when he arrived, but as soon as you work with him you realise how good he is," Maxwell said.

Neeld's coaching resume includes four straight premierships with Ocean Grove in the Bellarine Football League and a three-year stint at TAC Cup club Western Jets.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25812018-19742,00.html

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Mark Neeld
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 07:43:01 AM »
And here's the return of serve from Collingwood over the Malthouse move.  All fun and games until the first domino falls.

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 08:38:58 AM »
So. Neeld was Collingwood's defensive coach during their NAB CUP campaign was he? Yes, I remember the game that we played against them. They stacked the backline all night long, and made mounting an attack something akin to trying to squeeze a fart through a bathtub full of molasses. No thanks.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 09:18:59 AM »
hmm, something tells me to be wary of anything collingwood was to recommend to us..or is that just the cynic in me ::)
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 11:09:28 AM »
hmm, something tells me to be wary of anything collingwood was to recommend to us..or is that just the cynic in me ::)

Eddie McGuire: How do we get rid of this guy Neeld, so that we can make room for Buckley?

Gary Pert: Uh, Eddie, your highness, what if we tell Richmond he's really good and they may take him as senior......

Eddie McGuire: I know! We'll tell Richmond he's really good and they may take him as senior coach! (to Pert) What do I pay you for!
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 07:32:09 PM »
So. Neeld was Collingwood's defensive coach during their NAB CUP campaign was he? Yes, I remember the game that we played against them. They stacked the backline all night long, and made mounting an attack something akin to trying to squeeze a fart through a bathtub full of molasses. No thanks.

Hilarious RR   :lol

Collingwood the club with the heart as big as its ego. :whistle