Author Topic: If Naitanui slipped to our pick would you draft him?  (Read 1968 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
If Naitanui slipped to our pick would you draft him?
« on: September 24, 2008, 07:27:19 PM »
Mike reckons Naitanui will slip outside the top 3 to pick 4.

If Naitanui slipped to our pick 8 would you draft him?

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: If Naitanui slipped to our pick would you draft him?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 07:45:33 PM »
Definitely

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 08:46:50 PM »
I'd probably pass, but even then you'd always have the "should I ??" nag itching at the back of the head.  With his undoubted potential NicNat could be the next Buddy.

His athleticism is outstanding, however I'm more concerned with his basic skill level by either foot.  It is not a penetrating kick ,and his goalkicking is inconsistent.

If he does a knee or has progressive soft tissue or OP injury he loses his biggest asset being his leap, I'm not convinced that the basic skill level is deep enough to do justice to his athletic potential.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 09:07:35 PM »
WTF do you reckon.

YES
YES
YES

3 months ago this guy was a number 1 all the way now all of a sudden a top 3 or 4 and you wouldn't take him.

please give me a break. heres a thought lets bypass the black man and use our pick 8 or Jordy's old mate Peter Street.

Some of you would love that.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 09:46:13 PM »
WTF do you reckon.

YES
YES
YES

3 months ago this guy was a number 1 all the way now all of a sudden a top 3 or 4 and you wouldn't take him.

please give me a break. heres a thought lets bypass the black man and use our pick 8 or Jordy's old mate Peter Street.

bigot

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 10:10:57 PM »
WTF do you reckon.

YES
YES
YES

bigot

wog

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 10:15:08 PM »
I'd probably pass, but even then you'd always have the "should I ??" nag itching at the back of the head.  With his undoubted potential NicNat could be the next Buddy.

His athleticism is outstanding, however I'm more concerned with his basic skill level by either foot.  It is not a penetrating kick ,and his goalkicking is inconsistent.

If he does a knee or has progressive soft tissue or OP injury he loses his biggest asset being his leap, I'm not convinced that the basic skill level is deep enough to do justice to his athletic potential.
He may no longer be a certain #1 pick but if he slips to #8 he would be an absolute bargain. People are making far too big a deal about deficiencies caused by a late start to the game.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 10:20:14 PM »

He may no longer be a certain #1 pick but if he slips to #8 he would be an absolute bargain. People are making far too big a deal about deficiencies caused by a late start to the game.

well strike me down i actually agree with you.

as i have some of you have been reading to much of that jake niall crappy articls and listening to hutchy too much. read my the jumping black man who be an outstanding find for any club. He is the new buddy. Tall, athletic and a membership drawcard for struggling clubs.

Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up at the blues or bombers.

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 11:54:41 PM »
It's not unusual to read uninformed opinion from someone that has not actually seen him play live, but sources comment from supposition and conjecture and attempts to pass it off in abuse.   :sleep

Peanut.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 12:24:36 AM »
I saw Naitanui play against Vic Metro. As I said in the WAFL thread he could end up the next freak who takes the comp by storm in years to come as he matures or he could end up the biggest flop. He's going to need a fair bit of work on developing his footy deficiencies. He's different to Franklin in that way. Buddy's main question mark before he was drafted was over his attitude and whether he had the necessary commitment for AFL footy. The only question mark over Buddy's footy ability was his lack of contested marking. Naitanui has athleticism to burn for his size and good peripheral vision (would've made a top basketballer) but unlike Buddy Nat has queries over his basic footy attributes as Darth said. He's not a big possession getter either for someone with his athleticism. He uses his athleticism at stoppages rather than to win the ball and link up around the ground in general play or on the lead as a forward. Once the ball spreads from the contest he appears to go missing. When he did get his hands on the footy there were a couple of times that made you go wow but just not enough of them. A big risk to draft him early but I don't see him slipping past the Eagles or Freo in the top 3 for us to be put in a situation to decide. At pick 8 you'd probably take him but I'd be nervous if we had first pick this year as Melbourne does. A pick that could blow up in your face if you do or don't select Naitanui.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 12:36:59 AM »
Would be great if he slips to #8.

Coburg would be fun to watch next season  :cheers

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 08:57:58 AM »
Can't see him getting passed Freo. They're about to lose Warnock and Natanui would be the perfect compliment to a giant like Sandilands. No go home factor either which they've paid for a lot lately.

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 09:07:07 AM »
No.

And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 01:26:08 PM »
Pass for mine...

I just reckon there are too many question marks

People on here have been critical of the Tigers using early draft picks on speculative types - people do this  :banghead and scream 'we wasted a draft pick".

I see Naitanui in the same light, yep there is upside but is there enough of it and how long will take to develop it ??? How patient are you prepared to be

Of all the vision I've seen there's no doubting the athleticism but what there a question marks on the other variables that are just as important, defensive pressure, tackling, contested footy and mostly footy smarts
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Beren

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2008, 03:03:48 PM »
No. Too many question marks. We need to use our picks wisely with the GC 17 affecting the Draft in the near future.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.