Author Topic: Luckiest players to stay on AFL lists (Herald-Sun)  (Read 977 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Luckiest players to stay on AFL lists (Herald-Sun)
« on: November 04, 2008, 03:59:52 AM »
Luckiest players to stay on AFL lists 
Captain Blood, Richmond Tigers
Herald-Sun blog
Friday, October 31, 2008 at 05:54pm 

Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls should buy a Tattslotto ticket.

When AFL lists were finalised last week JON was still on Richmond’s senior list.

Can’t argue too much with the deletions, although I was sad to see Danny Meyer depart without fulfilling the potential I spotted in a moment of insight (or delusion) about three years ago. Chris Hyde, David Gourdis and Travis Casserly were also shown the door, along with the retired Greg Tivendale.

A couple of others suggested as possible trades - Jay Schulz and Kayne Pettifer - also stayed put, but that wasn’t all that surprising. Petts might find it tough to get his senior spot back next year though.

So JON gets another year despite his inglorious form, possibly because it would have been too embarrassing for our recruiting staff to delist two first-round draft picks in the same year. I’ll be rapt if he proves me wrong by turning into an AFL player, but I would be very surprised.

But he’s not the only player who can consider himself lucky to still have an AFL career ahead of them.

As all clubs cut their dead wood, some of the hacks of the competition were sent packing (Cain Ackland, Courtney Johns, Peter Street, half the Melbourne list) but a few others hung around to stink up the AFL for another 12 months.

Other opinions welcome, but here’s my take on the luckiest players to keep their spot on their club list:

1. JARRAD OAKLEY-NICHOLLS (Richmond)
2. JASON LAYCOCK (Essendon)
3. NATHAN CARROLL (Melbourne)
4. KEPLER BRADLEY (Fremantle)
5. JOHN MEESEN (Melbourne)
6. ALAN TOOVEY (Collingwood)
7. ANDREW McQUALTER (St Kilda)
8. BRAD MORAN (Adelaide)

What do you reckon?

http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/afl/fanforce/index.php/heraldsun/comments/luckiest_players_to_stay_on_afl_lists/

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Luckiest players to stay on AFL lists (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 08:29:20 AM »
I'd expect this blog from cranny pete.  :banghead

Waste of space.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 09:10:10 AM »
Is this bloke Richmond's equivalent of Collingwood's Joffa? The media love to promote nuff-nuffs.
At least Joffa sticks up for his team's players.

The club or Dyer family should sue this clown for using that name.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 10:57:39 AM »
How Brad Moran is on that list I have no idea
Is showing plenty of promise and should have a really solid season next year with more regular senior appearances

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 01:29:10 PM »
I can't say I watch any other Melbourne games apart from when they play the Tiges but I thought Carroll was/is serviceable.

Certainly in such a woeful side he can't be too out of place.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 09:36:30 PM »
Carroll is too short to be a kpp and far too slow to keep up with any leading forward
Plus the fact that he's a friggen psychopath and would be a liability to any team list

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 09:39:47 PM »
Carroll is too short to be a kpp and far too slow to keep up with any leading forward
Plus the fact that he's a friggen psychopath and would be a liability to any team list

LOL yeah I probably felt a bit sorry for their backline after the pounding we gave them in the last game and gave him more credit then he has due.