Author Topic: AFL warns clubs of tough economic times ahead (Herald-Sun)  (Read 851 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
AFL warns clubs of tough economic times ahead (Herald-Sun)
« on: November 11, 2008, 03:27:15 AM »
AFL warns clubs of tough economic times ahead
Damian Barrett | November 11, 2008

THE AFL plans to slash millions of dollars from its 2009 outlay and is urging all clubs to brace for potentially heavy downturns in revenue as football begins to deal with the global economic crisis.

While stressing the game was as well placed as any industry to ride out the financial meltdown, AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou said yesterday the league was not immune to its reach and that it had cautiously budgeted for 2009, effectively setting an example for the clubs.

In his most direct public assessment of the expected impact of the financial crisis on football, Demetriou told the Herald Sun:

HE HAD already urged clubs to have contingencies for possible dire financial outcomes, including the loss of a contracted major sponsor.HE WOULD meet club chief executives as a group next week to "see how they are finding it out there".

WESTERN Bulldogs, Richmond and Melbourne had been and would continue to be assisted by the league in their increasingly desperate pursuit of major sponsors for 2009;

UP TO $5 million would be cut from AFL spending next year, coupled with financial plans that incorporated no increases in expenditure growth;

THAT the entry to the national competition of Gold Coast, in 2011, and Western Sydney, in 2012, remained an AFL Commission decision, but in his eyes they seemed on track, arguing the cyclical nature of the financial crisis could be trending upwards in three years.

The AFL decision to cut costs will be only the second time since the AFL was formed, in 1990, that the game's controlling body will spend less from one season to the next.

"We have taken a very, very conservative, prudent approach, and we have basically attacked our budget to have zero expenditure growth, so our expenses are planning to go up by zero per cent, and we have cut costs probably to the tune of around $4 to $5 million," Demetriou said.

Asked where the cutbacks would be made, Demetriou said: "Programs, staff freezing, we are looking at doing things more efficiently. Where we might have spent $100 on something, we might now be spending $80.

"It has been a very lengthy process, but it wouldn't be unlike a lot of businesses."

The 16 clubs expect the corporate arms, particularly hospitality, of their businesses to be hardest hit in 2009.

While attendances are confidently predicted to remain strong, there is speculation from some club chief executives that membership will drop significantly, possibly by more than 10 per cent.

"What's happening financially on a global perspective is something none of us has seen in our lifetime, and on that basis, it is the unknown and the uncertainty of what lies ahead that provides food for thought as to how to approach the next 12 months to two years," Demetriou said.

"We will work collaboratively to make sure we can withstand what lies ahead, and I think our industry is in very good shape to do that.

"But it means we need to act proactively to try to minimise the downside. Football is not immune to what is going on globally, there is a cascading effect with what is happening around the world."

At a meeting with club marketing managers 11 days ago, Demetriou urged the creation of back-up financial plans to combat worst-case scenarios.

"I did say we should all factor in hypotheses, as it is not beyond the realms of possibility, what if one of your major sponsors walks in tomorrow and says: 'Our business has suffered severe cutbacks, we can't afford to pay your sponsorship'," he said.

"How would you as a club react to that? Do you have a contingency and plans in place for that happening?

"What happens if you are one or two million dollars short of your revenue because corporate hospitality isn't where you wanted it to be, or membership is down?"

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24632904-19742,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: AFL warns clubs of tough economic times ahead (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 03:38:48 AM »
"what if one of your major sponsors walks in tomorrow and says: 'Our business has suffered severe cutbacks, we can't afford to pay your sponsorship'," he said.
Eddie and the Pies might be next. Emirates' half-year profit fell by 88%!

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24632881-5005961,00.html
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 11:42:44 AM »
This is making the hunt for a major sponsor even more desperate! If the AFL is reducing their spending this sends a clear message to any businesses who are considering new sponsorship that now is certainly not a good time to do so.

I hope we can claim a sponsor soon.

Stripes

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 12:00:07 PM »
This is making the hunt for a major sponsor even more desperate! If the AFL is reducing their spending this sends a clear message to any businesses who are considering new sponsorship that now is certainly not a good time to do so.

I hope we can claim a sponsor soon.

Stripes

Believe me Stripes I would say that all large businesses that can afford major sponsorships already know the impact the devaluing dollar and financial crisis will have on their business.  They would not need the AFL's advice on this, my own company which is a "small" large business has been having crisis meetings for the last month on this. 

bushranger

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 01:57:02 PM »
If thing are going to get harder I would be thinking those clubs that have struggled up until now will find it even harder. Thus giving the AFL the power to push the likes of Melbourne and North Melbourne to another state.

As I know, if it was me, and these teams struggling even in good time, will have it harder, so to push them would make the right move weather they think so or not.

As the Roo's have fought all the way even after winning a Grand Final they still didn't have as many members as we did.
I could be wrong as this is what I read somewhere.

So sending the Roo's north as that what was one of the names thy had for themselve at one stage.
And the Demon's down to Tassie to be the Tassie Devils.

But I can see two team getting the heave out of Victoria weather they like it or not.
Though there is always the old merge thing that no team looks for.

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 02:44:50 PM »
i don't understand!

Richmond has a major sponsor in Dick Smith Electrontics ... right?

i heard Sony might be another sponsor?

so what is the problem?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 12:05:17 AM »
i don't understand!

Richmond has a major sponsor in Dick Smith Electrontics ... right?

i heard Sony might be another sponsor?

so what is the problem?
A $800,000 hole in our sponsorship revenue that needs filling  :-\ while major companies who could fill that hole are putting up the shutters thanks to the current economic downturn. Their revenues are down and/or still falling so they are being extra prudent with their marketing expenditure. Any company still wants a positive return in increased sales and exposure from any sponsorship investment. It's their money after all they are handing over.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd