Author Topic: Take a punt on Ben (Adelaide Advertiser)  (Read 1114 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Take a punt on Ben (Adelaide Advertiser)
« on: December 14, 2008, 04:47:29 AM »
Take a punt on Ben
CHRIS McDERMOTT | Adelaide Advertiser | December 14, 2008

THE deal is all but done and, while nothing in the football world is certain, Ben Cousins' move to Richmond via Tuesday's pre-season draft is as close as it gets.

This decision is not just a win for Cousins but the game itself and, while it comes with a high level of risk for a club that probably can't afford it, justice has been done.

Cutting Cousins adrift from the game he loves would have done far more harm than good to a number of parties.

He would never have been out of sight or out of mind and had his life spiralled out of control again the AFL would have rightly been held accountable.

The governing body now looks certain to save face and allow Richmond to place Graham Polak on their rookie list and free up a second selection in the draft where Cousins will be taken.

Had Ben not found a home the AFL would have created a major issue the next time someone succumbs to substance abuse.

That scenario is inevitable.

Let's hope in the future they don't make life quite so difficult for the player concerned.

Collingwood has been the most vocal to air their grievances over some special treatment given to Richmond, but surely they are missing the point.

Drugs and alcohol abuse is an increasing problem in sport – not a decreasing one.

The Magpies know that better than anyone given their recent history with Alan Didak, Heath Shaw and a few others.

Next time it might just be their club looking for some special treatment from the AFL.

Club rivalry should take a back seat in the Cousins debate and his reintroduction to the game must be the example to follow in the future, not the process to be ashamed of.

You've got to think Kevin Sheedy has been a major player in recruiting Cousins to Richmond.

Getting the ex-West Coast skipper back into a regular football routine is a major step in his recovery and having one of the game's greats in Sheedy involved in a mentoring role would be a masterstroke.

His role in rehabilitating Cousins and rebuilding not just his football career but his entire life will be his greatest triumph yet.

Richmond coach Terry Wallace must also be applauded for this act. While decisions as big as this are made by more than one man, the Tigers boss would have rubber-stamped the deal and in turn put his coaching future on the line.

It is, however strangely, an all-risk and no-risk move for Wallace.

His coaching career could well be over if the Tigers fail to make the eight in 2009.

Cousins' inclusion to their playing squad helps that challenge enormously and if it all goes pear-shaped Terry's more than likely history anyway.

Adding Cousins to a midfield rotation that already boasts Brett Delidio, future star Trent Cochin, Kane Johnson, Nathan Foley and Shane Tuck arms the Tigers with one of the strongest engine rooms in the game.

The minute he is selected on Tuesday, Richmond's odds on a finals berth will shorten dramatically.

With the mention of two words – "Ben Cousins" – a new Premiership contender will be born and their legion of fans will be salivating at the possibilities that lie ahead.

There are few better sights in the game than the Tigers' faithful in full voice belting out the club song after a big win at the MCG.

The build-up to a football season is always exciting, but the thought of Carlton and Richmond on the charge guarantees another year of record-breaking crowds.

In recent times, to their credit, Richmond have defied convention and put man before club.

Their unconditional support for injured star Graham Polak on his long road to recovery from a serious brain injury has been well documented and now, not 12 months later, they are ready to step up to the plate for a recovering addict to resume his place in football.

In an era where players are traded and delisted without too much compassion, this football club is standing head and shoulders above the rest and making a serious statement about what this game is really all about. Mateship.

Let's hope some on-field success comes their way as just reward.

Ben Cousins' life hasn't just got easier, it's got much harder.

He will know beyond any doubt his next mistake will be his last and certainly end his time in the AFL.

Many will be waiting for him to fail. Sadly some will be hoping he does. He has made his mistake and paid more than his price.

The time has come to cut him some slack.

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,24797393-12428,00.html

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Take a punt on Ben (Adelaide Advertiser)
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 09:55:58 AM »
I couldn't agree more with McDermott, but one thing is starting to bug me, although i think it suits us.....Why are all these people starting to come out in support of Ben Cousins being picked up now and not earlier? It seems to me that everyone (the experts that is) were waiting to see if someone would be the first to publicly state an interest in him so as to have a reason to get off the fence. If we pick up Ben i would be proud to support a club that is willing to give a bloke another chance when it appears that no-one else is. To keep Polly on the list as well as Sarge after his indiscetion a few years and now Cousins can create a close knit culture at the club of loyalty.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 10:12:21 AM »
I think the fact that Cousins has been on the front foot, calling Wallace and pleading his case shows a lot more humility than the "why wouldn't they want me" attitude from a couple of months ago. It shows that just perhaps the penny has dropped.

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 11:17:26 AM »
I think the fact that Cousins has been on the front foot, calling Wallace and pleading his case shows a lot more humility than the "why wouldn't they want me" attitude from a couple of months ago. It shows that just perhaps the penny has dropped.
Maybe going through a whole draft and not being touched pushed that penny along.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 11:44:09 AM »
Maybe going through a whole draft and not being touched pushed that penny along.
That and having all potential suitors in the PSD saying "No"

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 08:02:15 PM »

Made a massive difference from the look of things
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 10:16:27 PM »
That and having all potential suitors in the PSD saying "No"
Yep it would be the first time in his life that Cousins hasn't had people falling over him. 
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd