Author Topic: Ben Cousins must lose friends to gain a fresh start (Herald-Sun)  (Read 1436 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Ben Cousins must lose friends to gain a fresh start (Herald-Sun)
« on: December 19, 2008, 02:28:15 AM »
Ben Cousins must lose friends to gain a fresh start
Jim Wilson | December 19, 2008

SO BEN Cousins says he will repay the faith shown to him by Richmond. They were well chosen words and Tigerland is buzzing with expectation.

But there's still something missing with the confessed drug addict and it all comes back to the illegal substances that plunged his world into turmoil and almost cost him his life, let alone his AFL career.

Cousins continues to live in fairyland over his refusal to sever ties with convicted drug dealers and accused killers.

During his media conference at Richmond this week Cousins openly spoke about his relationship with underworld identities.

The fallen star said he would continue to associate with shady characters and that they were a big part of his road to recovery.

Call me cynical, but are these the people you would lean on if you were a drug addict?

Cousins seems to think the likes of accused killer Angelo Venditti are the type of people to steer him out of troubled waters. "I know Angelo Venditti, yeah. I know him reasonably well, along with a number of people in the footy industry," Cousins said this week.

Sorry Ben, but mentioning Venditti, who is facing a murder charge in the Victorian Supreme Court, in the same breath as the footy industry is absurd and an insult to the AFL.

Venditti isn't a one-off. He is the latest "colourful identity" linked to Cousins.

Cousins argued this week that as part of his rehabilitation he sought support of other addicts.

That's probably fair enough, but drug dealers and accused gangland killers do not fit that category.

As a parent, I don't want my two boys running around in a jumper worn by a bloke who openly admits to having links with the underworld.

The warning lights have been going off for Cousins for years but, even when his AFL career seemingly gone, he has ignored the danger signs and persisted with questionable relationships.

When will it sink in and what will it take for Cousins to cut ties with drug dealers and killers?

What a baptism of fire for new Tigers skipper Chris Newman to sit next to Cousins as he explained his suspect associations.

It will be a test for Newman and the leadership group at Richmond to withstand the media scrutiny Cousins will bring.

He'll be watched like a hawk and every time drug testers front up to training asking for a urine sample, the attention will be intense.

And then there's he added scrutiny if one of his suspect mates turns up to watch him train. Cousins and the Tigers just don't need that sort of distraction.

Newman, Richo and co have welcomed Cousins to the club and they're hoping the former Eagle can regain the form that made him one of the competition's greats.

But surely, in the back of their minds, they'll have everything crossed hoping Cousins can stay on the straight and narrow.

To do that, he must sever ties with questionable identities for his sake and his teammates.

Cousins deserves another chance and, in full flight, he is a champion.

I just hope someone can get in his ear and make it clear that this is the last roll of the dice.

If he is serious about his career and his rehabilitation, his links to the underworld and the seedy world of drugs must end.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24821403-19742,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Ben Cousins must lose friends to gain a fresh start (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 06:00:08 PM »
As a parent, I don't want my two boys running around in a jumper worn by a bloke who openly admits to having links with the underworld.
Yet as a Carlton supporter Jim you're happy to have your two boys running around in a jumper with a convicted corporate criminal as president and that of a club caught for blantant cheating of the salary cap ::). We know Cousins has a past. Let's focus now on his present and hopefully a better future free from the scourge of drugs.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline 3rogerd

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 09:39:48 PM »
and none the athletes that Jim hasnt interviewed or had a drink havent had undesirable connections....mmmm perhaps Jim needs to do some more digging. :banghead

sometimes the grenades come back.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 02:02:49 AM »
Jim Wilson = dick head alert
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 08:47:26 AM »
Jim Wilson = Damien Barrett wanna be
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline 2JD

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 01:26:56 PM »
As a parent, I would be proud for my boys to wear the number 32 on their tiger jumpers, someone who has been given a second chance and who declares he will do his best to do his best, you cant ask for much more.
(Failing that....I quite liked Tivvers! ;) )

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 02:00:52 AM »
Of course Jim Wilson would rather his kids wear a Carlton jumper with number 25 on the back.

Pees up walls
Gets drunk
Cheats on his wife
Need I go on.  :lol
They're the values that he would want his kids to have ingrained on their psyche ::)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 08:40:02 AM »
Of course Jim Wilson would rather his kids wear a Carlton jumper with number 25 on the back.

Pees up walls
Gets drunk
Cheats on his wife
Need I go on.  :lol
They're the values that he would want his kids to have ingrained on their psyche ::)

Exactly.  What a hypocrite.  There have been so many "people in glass houses" rear their ugly heads over this whole Cousin's saga it has been amazing.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 09:23:29 AM by smokey_58au »

Offline Hes My Hero

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 08:54:29 AM »
Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone.

Food for thought, one might think. ::)

bushranger

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 09:11:33 AM »
Lets give him the chance at least to prove to us all that he is well and clear of all the crap.
And this is what we have done, gave him the chance to prove than.
I think the rest of the footy world and media are all scared that one of the big meal tickets is turning a new page, and they don't like it as they might have to do real reporting for once.
Ben is here and now we are going to let him show just how good he is.
And the media can pee off.

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 09:37:14 AM »
and none the athletes that Jim hasnt interviewed or had a drink havent had undesirable connections....mmmm perhaps Jim needs to do some more digging. :banghead

sometimes the grenades come back.
Agree! And why were scenes from underbelly filmed in the stands of Optus Oval?

Offline Beren

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2008, 10:56:24 AM »
And lets not forget that it was only recently that a Carltank premiership flag was returned after being used by a well known underworld family at one of their many funerals. ;)
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Woman who saved Ben Cousins' career (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 01:03:04 PM »
Cuz appears to have some good influences in his life now  :thumbsup..

-------------------------------------------
Woman who saved Ben Cousins' career
By Jackie Epstein | December 21, 2008

AT 8.45pm last Monday, Carlie Merenda received a call. She was told Richmond president Gary March was after a mobile number for Ben Cousins so he could deliver the good news.

Not long after her phone rang again. "We got over the line,'' a relieved Cousins told her from Perth. Merenda shed a tear.

She had worked behind the scenes at the Flying Start player management agency to get Cousins back in the AFL.

Her boss Ricky Nixon, who manages many of the code's best players, was also emotional.

Merenda, in particular, shared the journey with Cousins - through the lows of his drug addictions, to the hope that he would come out the other side and play the game he loves.

Merenda is rarely heard or seen, bar the occasional glimpse of her whisking Cousins away from an airport. But she has ridden shotgun with the former Eagles superstar over every bump and hurdle for 18 months.

From the first time Cousins ventured to a Malibu rehab centre in April 2007, Merenda has maintained daily contact with the recovering drug addict.

"I would have spoken to him every day,'' Merenda said.

"You've heard stuff about him and how his phone might be off, but there's not one day over the past 12 months that I haven't spoken to him. And people like that, if they're trying to get away, they'll turn their phones off.

"No doubt Ben's had some testing times, but the work he's put into his recovery has been amazing and a credit to him. The first six months he was given no direction. He got banned and then we wrote to the AFL in May to say, 'what do we need to do here to satisfy you?' Then in the past two months we got this, this and this (criteria).

"There wasn't any room to move when he was being tested and being flown over for meetings with doctors.

"You've got to think on the positive side how well he's done in the past 12 months. He has dealt with a lot of things, he went away to rehab and came back for seven months and then Mainy (former Eagles team-mate Chris Mainwaring) died and there was a relapse then, but that's a hard thing. He was his close mate, best mate, and then another close mate died (convicted drug trafficker John Anthony Giannarelli), so he has had things going on.''

Merenda grew up in Perth and is the sister of Mark Merenda, who played for Richmond and West Coast. She admits the rumours about Cousins had filtered through for a while before he finally confessed his addiction.

She said they built a trust that developed into a friendship and a healthy professional relationship. While Nixon heads up Flying Start, it is Merenda who has effectively been assigned full-time to the Cousins case.

"I don't care to be the spokesperson for him, Ricky can do that,'' Merenda, 28, said.

"At times Ricky's been so passionate about it all and I think it's a positive that he has been. Some people have been very critical, but everyone's got to remember this has never happened before.

"We've never been through this before where a player has come out and said he's a drug addict and been suspended for bringing the game into disrepute and then got 12 months to go away and sort it out.

"I'm sure in hindsight we may have done things differently along the way, but I think we've done a pretty good job the whole way through. People have been critical of Ben, too, and that whole perceived arrogance, but tell me who deals with drug addiction and rehabilitation in the spotlight? It's very hard.''

She said Cousins had been determined to earn a second chance ever since his issues were exposed. Football has been the carrot, the reason behind his efforts and a catalyst for deciding to make a documentary about his experience. He knows he is in a position to educate and inform.

"To keep busy and have focus and purpose is why he did that,'' Merenda said. "(The documentary) started just when he got back from America.''

Merenda paid tribute to the support from Cousins' family - father Bryan, mother Stephanie and sisters Sophie and Mel. She said being rejected by St Kilda was the turning point for Cousins, the time he realised his chance was slipping away.

"Definitely the last few weeks have been the hardest. But also the best, because it was amazing how life can change with just one phone call,'' she said. "Ben's dad, mum and sister were so happy the excitement was amazing.

"You could have gone either way with Ben. Jumped off him and said, 'I don't want to have anything to do with you', or you could throw yourself right in there and that's what I did. You can't leave someone when they need you most. He lost a lot of support, but he caused that himself in a way by doing the things he did.

"He now will be able to give so much more than he has previously. At a club, he can help the young kids coming through and I think it's the best thing for him getting back in that environment.

"I think he's learned a lot about himself in the past 12 months, more than he could ever learn. He's got to help himself as well because he is a recovering addict.''

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24828531-5001023,00.html