Author Topic: Hafey hits out at Cousins (Age)  (Read 874 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hafey hits out at Cousins (Age)
« on: February 26, 2009, 12:54:32 AM »
Tiger legend hits out at Cousins
Geoff McClure | February 26, 2009

TOMMY Hafey, one of the most famous Tigers of them all, has slammed the decision to draft Ben Cousins, saying Richmond erred in giving the recovering drug addict a second chance in the AFL.

Hafey's controversial comments were made to a group of about 50 people at a club footy season launch. He told the gathering he was "completely against" the drafting of Cousins from the day it happened.

Said Hafey: "People ask me, 'Doesn't he deserve a second chance?' I say, 'No, he doesn't'; he had his chance and he blew it.

"And if he plays really well, which would be great for Richmond, then that just sends the message to the younger guys that 'you can stuff up big time and a year later get back to your best'. It just doesn't work that way."

Hafey was reluctant to elaborate on his comments yesterday, saying the Richmond/Cousins deal was between them "and I prefer to leave it that way".

However, the four-time premiership coach who led the Tigers through their glory years during the 1960s and '70s, was forthright in his views, all this as the 2005 Brownlow medallist prepares to resume his AFL career in an NAB Cup quarter-final against Collingwood tonight.

Hafey, who boasts a clean-living lifestyle that involves a daily training routine that would challenge someone Cousins' age let alone a man of his age of 77 — would not expand on his comments when contacted by The Age this week. However, he admitted: "Because of my past involvement in the club — and the fact that I'm a teetotaller — I understand people would be interested in my views."

Hafey's best mate Kevin Bartlett, also a teetotaller, disagrees with the coaching legend's views on Cousins.

Said Bartlett: "Actually, I'm all for people having a second chance and that includes Ben."

"The only reservation for me was the lack of reaction from Cousins when the AFL gave him the green light to resume his career.

"He didn't say anything that gave me confidence that he was raring to go. If he had done so I reckon eight or nine clubs would have been clambering for his services.

"That said, I hope he goes well, for his sake and for Richmond's."

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/tiger-legend-blasts-cousins/2009/02/25/1235237738728.html

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Hafey hits out at Cousins (Age)
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 01:21:07 AM »
Tough of Tommy but not really a surprise from a clean living man like himself.
Personally I think everyone deserves another go but I also think sometimes Cuz's supporters tend to gloss over that Ben's already had more than one.
He won't get anymore chances after this so let's hope he makes the most of it for the Tiges sake.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 01:26:11 AM »
Yet the Herald-Sun has Hafey all positive about Cuz .... ???

Legendary four-time Richmond premiership coach Tommy Hafey revealed he had met Cousins in recent days and was impressed by the midfielder's attitude. "He's been lovely whenever I've been connected to him or in his company. We're in with a big chance, the Tigers - Ben is going to give us a massive boost," Hafey said. "I'd be disappointed if we didn't finish fifth or sixth this year."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25107159-2862,00.html

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 07:20:15 AM »
Flip a coin  :P
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 08:59:35 AM »

"And if he plays really well, which would be great for Richmond, then that just sends the message to the younger guys that 'you can stuff up big time and a year later get back to your best'. It just doesn't work that way."

Not many guys get a second chance when it comes to AFL Tommy, drugs or no drugs.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 09:02:23 AM »
 ??? ??? ???

No idea there but I think one of the papers must have their wires crossed.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 11:34:50 AM »
Everyone is entitled to thier opinion and for what it's worth Tommys' is a mighty good one.

As WP syas 'flip a coin' ! Six of one 1/2 d of the other really.

In the end I only care how Richmond perform on the Ground ! Whoever that is.