Author Topic: Richo taking it one year at a time / Tigers must perform in '09, says Richo  (Read 828 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
I can't find an online article on it but SEN have been playing snippets of Richo saying he'll decide on his future at the end of the season. See whether he is still getting a kick before deciding whether to go on beyond 2009 or retire.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 09:15:02 PM by one-eyed »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers must perform in '09, says Richo (Age)
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 09:12:53 PM »
Tigers must perform in '09, says Richo
Roger Vaughan | March 11, 2009 - 6:04PM

Richmond's much-loved veteran Matthew Richardson is enjoying the excitement, but also feeling the pressure ahead of the AFL season.

While injuries to Trent Cotchin, Kane Johnson and Mark Coughlan have hurt their midfield, the Tigers are otherwise coming to the end of a solid pre-season.

The combination of an encouraging end to last season and the recruitment of Ben Cousins has meant they have smashed their membership record.

They have reached 31,000, beating the 30,800 they set in June last year - the fourth straight year Richmond have set a membership record.

But Richardson, another big reason for the optimism at Punt Rd, points out the team must follow up on the field.

Richmond were ninth last year and coach Terry Wallace knows his future hinges on the Tigers making the finals.

"Every year you're full of optimism, obviously, but this year it does feel different, there's been a lot of statement around the club for a few different reasons," Richardson said.

"But the proof is going to be in the pudding, you've got to get out there and win games.

"The players have to step up now, the fans have stepped up and signed up, it's our turn."

The Tigers will open the season on Thursday, March 26 with a blockbuster against arch-enemies Carlton at the MCG.

It looms as a much-anticipated duel between Cousins and his former West Coast teammate, Carlton captain Chris Judd.

The Tigers have noticeably boosted their team for Friday night's NAB Challenge against Brisbane on the Gold Coast as they build up to the Carlton game.

Richardson, Cousins, Brett Deledio, Nathan Brown, Nathan Foley and Troy Simmonds all return, meaning the Tigers will be near-full strength.

"You need to do that leading into round one, so it will be a good test up there against Brisbane on the Gold Coast," Richardson said.

"It's going to be pretty humid and stormy, we'll find out where we're at."

Richardson also had no sympathy for the Blues, who are unhappy about having to travel to Bunbury, south of Perth, to play Fremantle on Saturday.

"You've got to get used to it - it's probably not ideal leading into round one, but somebody has to go over there to play the (Dockers).

"We're pretty happy it's Carlton, probably."

Richardson turns 34 on Thursday next week and the retirements last season of players such as Robert Harvey and Shane Crawford mean he is now the oldest player in the AFL.

He is also among the most popular.

Richardson rejuvenated himself last year by often playing off the wing, as well as his traditional role as a key forward.

He finished third in the Brownlow Medal and earned his third All-Australian selection.

There are no guarantees beyond this season, but Richardson is enjoying the ride.

"I wasn't sure how it was going to work early on, I thought the next position might have been out of the team, but it worked out well, I'm obviously happy about that," he said of last year's changed role.

"It's given me a new lease on life, I guess, so it was a good move for everyone."

http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-news-sport/tigers-must-perform-in-09-says-richo-20090311-8v46.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Sportal has a bit more:...

But Richardson refuses to be drawn on just how much longer he can continue his remarkable career.

"I am not sure," he said.

"I am definitely looking to play out this year but I haven't made a decision on what is going to happen."

"You have got to see how you are going - I mightn't get a kick and it (the decision on when to retire) might be made for me but I am not putting any time line on when I finish playing."

But if Richardson performs half as well in his new role in 2009 as he did last year, expect one of the game's most popular players to continue playing on for a while yet as he closes in on becoming only the fourth Richmond player behind Kevin Bartlett, Jack Dyer and Francis Bourke to play 300 games.

http://sportal.com.au/afl-news-display/richo-tigers-time-is-now-66491

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
But if Richardson performs half as well in his new role in 2009 as he did last year, expect one of the game's most popular players to continue playing on for a while yet as he closes in on becoming only the fourth Richmond player behind Kevin Bartlett, Jack Dyer and Francis Bourke to play 300 games.
Touchwood for the champ he could even make it this year if we play finals :pray
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Finals fever eats at ageing Richo (GC Bulletin)
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 04:28:54 PM »
Finals fever eats at ageing Richo
Gold Coast Bulletin
Terry Wilson
March 12th, 2009

HE is an irresistible presence out on the field, but how much longer Richmond champion Matthew Richardson will continue to do so is in the lap of the footy gods.

Richardson, 34 on Thursday, will as usual be a headline act in the club's final pre-season hitout against Brisbane at Gold Coast Stadium tomorrow night.

The burning question is whether Richardson will continue to thrill the Tiger horde past this season. The big forward-cum-wingman is unsure and will go through this season with a wait-and-see attitude.

How things pan out will determine what he does in 2010.

"The only real focus I have now is to participate in a team that plays finals footy," he said.

"Once you get to my level of experience -- and I haven't played in a lot of finals (three only) -- that's something you only really want to do, to be honest. Obviously we've added a bit of depth in the midfield with Ben (Cousins) coming on board.

"Plus we're looking at another year of experience in the younger players like Nathan Foley, Brett Deledio and Trent Cotchin. Hopefully they'll improve as you're not going to get improvement out of your older players. You hope they can continue at the level they have always been at.

"We nearly made the finals last year, missed by half a game, so if we don't make it this year it'll be disappointing."

There is no question about Richardson's standing in the game. He has played 278 times in the yellow and black and has mixed sheer brilliance with erraticism, characteristics that have bemused fans and detractors alike. He has often been criticised for his body language when things went wrong, but what you see is what you get, even if maturity has taken an edge off somewhat.

"I've always sort of let my emotions do the talking out there," he said. "As I've got older I've learned to harness it in the right ways.

"But yes, I guess I wear my heart on my sleeve out there, some times for good, some times not so good."

Richardson has been Richmond's leading goalkicker 13 times since he made his debut in 1993, with 91 majors in 1996 his best haul.

Yet getting the century in a season is not on the Richardson agenda. Playing in finals is far more important.

Meanwhile, Brisbane made clear how seriously they are treating tomorrow night's match by naming a squad that is close to full strength.

The regulars missing are Jared Brennan, Jason Roe and Tom Collier. The Lions also brought back Tim Notting and Justin Sherman.

Brennan, who looked so good in the opening NAB Cup win against St Kilda, is out for up to six weeks with a quad strain.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2009/03/12/58195_gold-coast-sport.html

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
3 finals matches ever for the big lug.

It's absolutely criminal that we haven't been able to see more of him on the big stage throughout his career.

What a waste. :-[

Ox

3 finals matches ever for the big lug.

It's absolutely criminal that we haven't been able to see more of him on the big stage throughout his career.

What a waste. :-[

Don't blame us !!!!!!!!!!!
If he could kick straight he could have seen more.