Author Topic: Simmonds offered a 5 year contract  (Read 1857 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Simmonds offered a 5 year contract
« on: October 07, 2004, 12:38:46 AM »
By Stephen Rielly, Jake Niall
realfooty.theage.com.au
October 7, 2004

With Troy Simmonds informing the Dockers yesterday of his decision to reject a four-year, $1.2 million offer in favour of a five-year deal to join Richmond, via the pre-season route if necessary, Fremantle chief executive Cameron Schwab said the Dockers were considering a heavily front-loaded contract for Carr that could be worth as much as $1.2 million in his first two seasons.

"We've got the money we had budgeted for Simmonds available and the money we have set aside for Josh. Right now, we've just about had enough. It's a serious option open to us," Schwab said.

Schwab also confirmed last night that the Dockers had checked the legitimacy of such a move with the AFL yesterday and had been given the all-clear.

Relations between the Dockers and Port, already strained by the stalled negotiations, were scarcely improved when Port coach Mark Williams contacted Schammer in Thailand yesterday. The South Australian, on holiday on Phuket, signed a new three-year deal with the Dockers earlier this year.

Williams also spoke with Carr, who, it is understood, urged Port to accept Fremantle's offer of picks 11 and 27 and a player such as Antoni Grover or Dion Woods.

While Port continues to insist upon Schammer or Pavlich, it is understood that a four-club deal involving Essendon, Geelong, Fremantle and Port was being hatched as a Plan B on the Carr deal.

Essentially, the deal involves Essendon's Mark Johnson going to Port Adelaide, Carr making his way to Freo, Geelong getting pick 11 to help it swing the deal for Richmond's ruckman Brad Ottens and the Dons getting a player from Geelong and Fremantle.

The Dockers would have to give up pick 11 and send Ryley Dunn or Ryan Murphy to Essendon, who would in turn release Johnson and pick 14 to Port, who confirmed their interest in the 2000 premiership defender yesterday. The premier would give up Carr and send pick 11 to Geelong, who would give the pick to Richmond for Ottens and offer a player to Windy Hill. The Dons are asking for Kane Tenace.

Johnson's manager, Michael Quinlan, yesterday met Essendon to clarify his client's position. Quinlan made the point last night that Johnson was contracted for 2005.

While Simmonds indicated that he intended to walk to Punt Road, via the pre-season draft if necessary, the Tigers said last night that they wanted to trade with Fremantle. On Tuesday night the Dockers put a revised offer to Simmonds in the hope of keeping him.

Tiger football director Greg Miller acknowledged that keeping options open for the Ottens trade was a part of the reason for doing so.

"That's part of it. I just think you like to know you have the player, then you move on to the next thing," Miller said.

Should Simmonds go into the pre-season draft, Richmond's hand would be forced on the Ottens trade, with Geelong under less pressure to meet the Tigers' demands because Richmond would no longer have the option of redrafting the follower/forward. The Tigers were offering selection 20 for Simmonds earlier in the week, a pick that Fremantle could use to secure Heath Black from St Kilda.

http://realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/10/06/1096949587117.html
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Simmonds offered a 5 year contract
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2004, 12:41:47 AM »

With Troy Simmonds informing the Dockers yesterday of his decision to reject a four-year, $1.2 million offer in favour of a five-year deal to join Richmond, via the pre-season route if necessary

Bloody hell!  :gobdrop

I know we need a ruckman but I hope this doesn't turn into another Gas scenario  :-\

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2004, 12:53:19 AM »
If it was a 1.5 mill deal I can live with it, but if we are paying around 2 mill or more, which is what I suspect we will be, the people in charge of the club need medical help cos they are stuffen INSANE!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2004, 12:56:16 AM by JohnF »

Offline LondonTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2004, 12:56:36 AM »
I think the papers have come to the conclusion that one and one equal 3.

He didnt want to stay at Fremantle because he apparently wanted to come back to Melbourne for a 4 year deal  (Freo had offered 3)

Now Fremantle have offered 4, the papers assume he has agreed to 5 at the tigers.

Highly unlikely we have offered a 5 year deal

Very highly unlikely

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2004, 01:05:10 AM »
Let's hope so LT and all that got us across the line was us being a Melbourne club who could offer him a regular spot in the ruck. 5 years is ridiculous. It was stated earlier that we offered a 4 year deal.

Offline LondonTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2004, 01:33:29 AM »
Maybe a 2 year deal, with a 2 year option.

Once bitten twice shy

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2004, 01:34:46 AM »
I'd almost say I'm happy with picks 11 and 16 for Ottens in the end. Maybe we could try and swing it so we can include Zantuck into the deal for either Geelong or Essendons 2nd round pick, and then use that pick to include Simmonds in the trade. Yes we'd be ripping them off, but they don't have much say in the matter.

Richmond gain: Picks 11, 16, Simmonds
Richmond lose: Ottens, Zantuck

Geelong gain: Ottens
Geelong lose: Picks 16, 32, Wojinski

Essendon gain: Dunn, Wojinski*, Zantuck
Essendon lose: Pick 14, M Johnson

Freo gain: Pick 32, Carr
Freo lose: Pick 11, Dunn, Simmonds

Port gain: Pick 14, M Johnson
Port lose: Carr

Thoughts?  :help

*Example of Geelong player
My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.

Offline LondonTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2004, 02:09:35 AM »
Fwoy, looks fair.  Fax it to Miller now   :thumbsup

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2004, 02:21:48 PM »
I'd almost say I'm happy with picks 11 and 16 for Ottens in the end. Maybe we could try and swing it so we can include Zantuck into the deal for either Geelong or Essendons 2nd round pick, and then use that pick to include Simmonds in the trade. Yes we'd be ripping them off, but they don't have much say in the matter.

Richmond gain: Picks 11, 16, Simmonds
Richmond lose: Ottens, Zantuck

Geelong gain: Ottens
Geelong lose: Picks 16, 32, Wojinski

Essendon gain: Dunn, Wojinski*, Zantuck
Essendon lose: Pick 14, M Johnson

Freo gain: Pick 32, Carr
Freo lose: Pick 11, Dunn, Simmonds

Port gain: Pick 14, M Johnson
Port lose: Carr

Thoughts?  :help

*Example of Geelong player

Looks good Fwoy.

Send it to Miller.

We would be stuffen mad to give Simmonds a 5 year contract and to give up pick 20 for him. 
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Simmonds offered a 5 year contract on almost $2 million
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2004, 12:02:04 AM »
Breaking News - The Age
October 7, 2004 - 8:50PM

Freo was also working on a three-way deal with Richmond and St Kilda that would see Black traded to Freo, Troy Simmonds move to Richmond and the Saints gain a second-round draft pick.

Richmond had secured Simmonds with a five-year contract offer believed to be worth almost $2 million, but rather than get him with the first selection in the pre-season draft as expected, it could now agree to a trade and keep that selection up its sleeve.

"Troy Simmonds is at Richmond, and hopefully we can negotiate a trade deal to go after Heath Black of St Kilda, which we will aggressively pursue," Fremantle coach Chris Connolly said.

"The (Richmond) offer, which is a five-year contract to Troy Simmonds, is an outstanding offer and reflects how important they see Troy and it was something we couldn't match.

"He's taken that option and hopefully we can be compensated with Heath Black."

Freo chief executive Cameron Schwab said Richmond had "a strong incentive to keep their powder dry with the pre-season choice and use that to get another player" rather than use it on Simmonds.

"There's a lot of nervous clubs out there with an uncontracted player who might be the subject of (Richmond football manager) Greg Miller's desire," Schwab said.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/10/07/1097089490535.html

--------------------

:o  :o  :o

I'm finding that hard to believe. That would put him on nearly $400K a year which is on par with what Otto was on in the first place.