Author Topic: Pick Your Top 5 - Your Selecting  (Read 1379 times)

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Pick Your Top 5 - Your Selecting
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2009, 12:02:09 PM »
newbies

1/ Hird
'2/ buckley
3/ campbell
4/ ricciuto
5/ hinkley

oldies

1/ sheedy
2/ matthews
3/ malthouse
4/ pagan
5/ williams

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2009, 01:14:03 PM »
I'm steering more and more away from an older coach as things go on.  I have a feeling (just a gut feeling - not based on too much fact) that our list will 'hear' the message of a younger contemporary rather than an older coach from a different generation.  So based on that:

1.  Buckley
2.  Hinkley
3.  Hardwick
4.  Campbell
5.  Silvagni

Probably scratching for choices with the last 2 but had to make up numbers.

If we have to get an older coach then:

1.  Matthews
2.  Williams
3.  Malthouse
4.  Pagan
5.  Tigermonk    ;D

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2009, 02:58:54 PM »
Hard to say as an outsider. You would want to know from the newbies their coaching philosophy and from all candidates where they see our list at (do they want to cull?). So basing this more on their experience. Over the past 20 years all the premiership coaches apart from Paul Roos have been associated with a premiership as either a player or assistant coach prior to becoming a senior coach.

1. Damien Hardwick
Dual premiership player under two top coaches at the time (Sheedy and Williams). Saw another premiership as an assistant coach under Clarkson at Hawthorn. So he's been apart of reaching the ultimate summit many times. Probably the only minuses is he hasn't coached his own team and he missed out at Essendon due to that laptop incident.

2. Ken Hinkley
Premiership as assistant coach to Bomber Thompson (maybe x2 by September) and premierships on his own at lower levels in the Hampden and Geelong football leagues. He was also assistant coach under Blight at the Saints. Minus - lower profile than the others.

3. Stephen Silvagni
Dual premiership as a player and now in his third year as assistant coach under Lyon at the Saints. Part-time assistant roles at Collingwood, Sydney and the Bulldogs, and a member of the Australian IR coaching team. If the Saints win the big one this year then his stocks will rise further. Minuses - hasn't coached his own team except for the Saints in the NAB Cup this year. Also could the club handle a Carlton champ coaching Richmond?

4. Mark Williams
I'd prefer us to go with a younger hungrier coach who needs to prove themselves and I can't see Williams leaving Port either but IMO he would be the best of the older coaches. Once again been to the top as player in the SANFL and coach in the AFL and he comes from a successful coaching family with father Fos winning 5 SANFL flags in a row and he has all his dad's notes. The minus would be he is a mad Port man so would he have the same passion at another club especially as he's won a flag already.

5. Leon Cameron
Former Tiger who was one of the stars of 2001 in the twilight of his playing career so he would have good memories of Punt Rd.  Had around 5? years experience as an assistant coach. He was a smart and classy player and the sound of it has the smarts as a coach. The Bulldogs rave about him. The minus is he hasn't coached his own side and has never experienced a premiership as player or assistant coach.

6. Ben Cousins
He's effectively coaching us on the ground now during games  ;).
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2009, 03:38:59 PM »
1. Warrick Capper
2. Mark Jackson
3. Mal Brown
4. Straughnie
5. Sam Newman

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2009, 09:29:26 PM »
Excellent breakdown MT.. :thumbsup. I am more on the Hardwick or Hinkley wagon now than ever, but what was the laptop incident please... ???
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2009, 02:34:06 PM »
1.  Leigh Matthews
2.  Brad Scott
3.  Damian Hardwick
4.  Mick Malthouse
5.  Grant Thomas
6.  Guy Mckenna