Author Topic: Leigh Mathews  (Read 2411 times)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
Re: Leigh Mathews
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2009, 03:59:06 PM »
If you've ever employed someone, normal practice is to find out the reasons of leaving there previous jobs. If Matthews left Brisbane because of bad blood I'd say that'd hurt his chances coming to Richmond.

By no stretch am I saying this happened I just remember that he was on the decline when he left Brisbane.

Think Lethal if he had the passion along with any other candidate couldn't do any worse then what we've seen in the past.
Go Tigers!

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2009, 04:09:11 PM »
Can anyone confirm this:

I slightly recall Matthews been pushed out of Brisbane for similar reasons to Sheedy being pushed out of Essendon.

"Finished" "Washed Up" "Lost the players" The poor treatment of his players etc.

Why did Matthews leave Brisbane?

Wasn't there a rumour that Brown said it was either him or Matthews that goes

Offline nahadaman

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2009, 04:35:07 PM »
Being on a decline after so much success and stepping away when he did was I believe the right thing to do. Refreshed Mathews could rise to the coaching arena with us once again.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2009, 04:36:01 PM »
Can anyone confirm this:

I slightly recall Matthews been pushed out of Brisbane for similar reasons to Sheedy being pushed out of Essendon.

"Finished" "Washed Up" "Lost the players" The poor treatment of his players etc.

Why did Matthews leave Brisbane?

Wasn't there a rumour that Brown said it was either him or Matthews that goes

No rumour - that was fact. I went to a sportmans night where Aker told us he heard those words come straight from Browns mouth. The admin knew, Brown was as good as gone before Matthews pulled the pin and then all of a sudden Brown was denying everything. Akar claimed he  :chuck when he saw Brown on the Footy Show blatantly lie.

Call him what you will but Aker is painfully and dangerously truthful which is why he has got himself in so much trouble over the journey

Stripes

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2009, 04:47:23 PM »
Just been reading that live blog on the Hun with Robbo and apparently rumor is that Richmond has had talks with Leathal this morning!! Anyone else heard this one?

Can tell you all this.
Richmond are after a ""senior coach"" and the whispers arond say that both Matthews or Malthouse are there preferred options.
They dont want to take on a "'younger coach ""
Beleive what you want, dont shoot the messenger

Is this the same messenger that delivered the scoop to all of us that Sheedy would be the next coach of Richmond?? If it is, I thought he would have had enough bullets in him by now to make his own fallout shelter.  ;)

Jackstar is back

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2009, 05:23:37 PM »
no different messenger, if was from the Indian taxi driver. LOL

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2009, 07:09:08 PM »
For what it's worth Caro doesn't believe Leigh will ever coach again. He's just acting as a statesman.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2009, 07:41:59 PM »
For what it's worth Caro doesn't believe Leigh will ever coach again. He's just acting as a statesman.

In the blog today Robbo thought quite the opposite.  He mentioned on quite a few occasions that he had asked Matthews a number of times and each time was given a 'non-answer'.  Not a yes but definitely not a no.  His opinion (and he stressed it was just an opinion) was Matthews was a good chance to coach again and that he (Matthews) has already spoken to Richmond about that.  Interesting times.

Offline 3rogerd

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2009, 09:54:51 PM »
the process will be followed through. 
as for LM there are many suitors willing to listen. :thumbsup
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 11:56:15 PM by 3rogerd »

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2009, 10:48:51 PM »
the process will be followed through. 
as for many LW there are suitors willing to listen. :thumbsup

LW?

Leigh Watthews? ;D

maybe Ricky Ponting will be our coach after all.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2009, 09:11:30 AM »
As much as I'd love him as coach, there appears to be a bit of a Malcolm Blight type scenario here
Would we be convincing someone who really isn't that interested in coaching again out of retirement?
Does he still have that fire in the belly?

Don't get me wrong, he's almost exactly what we need, but I just hope he'd be partly driving the process, not just chasing a carrot