Author Topic: Joel Bowden reveals he wants to play on (Herald-Sun)  (Read 962 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Joel Bowden reveals he wants to play on (Herald-Sun)
« on: July 21, 2009, 03:16:43 AM »
Joel Bowden reveals he wants to play on
Mark Robinson | July 21, 2009

JOEL Bowden wants to play for Richmond next year, but says if he is denied by the new coach, so be it.

The 31-year-old, who has played 264 games during a 14-year period, is often loved and sometimes loathed by Tigers fans, but unquestioned in his professionalism, common sense and honesty.

The candle still burns for Bowden, but it appears to have burned to the wick.

"It's not a decision I'll be making. It will be a decision the football clubs makes, the coach makes, and no doubt they will weigh it up," he said yesterday.

"I'd like to think I've still got something to offer, and if the club sees fit, then I would love to continue to play for Richmond.

"If they don't offer me a contract, then I've had a long, very enjoyable career. Had a lot of highs, a lot of lows, but at the same time enjoyed myself, met a lot of great people, and then there will be the next stage of my life."

Despite his positivity, a sense of finality pervades.

"There's always that possibility, but it's been refreshing to play in the VFL in Coburg and realise I still enjoy playing footy," Bowden said.

"And perhaps next year, regardless of what level, I'll enjoy running out there and getting a kick.

"I really hope I can continue playing AFL. But if not, I take a positive in the fact my children will be able to come and watch me play footy next year in the local league."

Bowden was axed by Jade Rawlings just days after the interim coach replaced Terry Wallace.

What was a messy period for the club became a confronting one for Bowden.

He has played the past five games for Richmond's VFL affiliate Coburg, and on Saturday was named Coburg's best player.

In Round 12, Rawlings dumped Bowden, Mark Coughlan, Kayne Pettifer, Jordan McMahon and Troy Simmonds.

Bowden said he never sought the reasons why.

It was a philosophical shift from the season before when Wallace omitted him from Round 4 to Round 7, a move that he resented but made him think about life after footy.

"I didn't try to delve too deep into it," he said of the Rawlings decision.

"I didn't need an over-the-top explanation because I understand how the club works and the reason why we're in the position is because we haven't had success.

"They need to look at other players, need to look at younger players, and that includes younger players in the positions I was playing.

"I understand and respect the decision."

Any frustration, even anger?

"The immediacy of it was something that caught me a little bit, the fact the coach was gone and within three days I wasn't playing in the senior side," he said.

"It did strike me, however. In saying that, it had been on the horizon for the past few weeks and it was just a matter of how the football club dealt with it when it happened.

"Again, I understand, because the club comes first, and I respect the way they've gone about making their decision."

Despite more than likely slamming the door on his career, Bowden holds no grudge towards Rawlings.

"No, not at all. I think Jade is doing a very good job. He's been able to convey his message strongly and concisely. He's doing a good job in a difficult situation," he said.

As for everyone, family comes first.

Bowden has two children, Alice, 3, and Charles, 14 months.

"He's trying to kick it already," he said.

"That's why I can look at my situation . . . which is maybe distressing for someone without a family, but when I get home, regardless of where I've played, my little kids say, 'Hi Dada'. It's grounding.

"Maybe that's the fortunate part of my career, that I've had children towards the end. They keep you grounded, they don't read the papers, they don't know the details of what is going on. They just need you to be about and look after them.

"I need to be a good father and do the best I can at that."

As the sense of finality continued, Bowden recalled being asked last year how he would like to be remembered.

"A good player," he said. "Certainly not going to be remembered as one of Richmond's great players, but I hope people think back and say he was a good player and, I hope, a good person."

Bowden has a testimonial dinner on August 15 at the MCG after the Round 20 Collingwood game, but rejected notions of a farewell game to accompany it.

"I'd like to think I could push my way back into the side, play well enough at VFL that they see fit to give me a game," he said. "I haven't dropped my bundle, haven't resigned myself to the fact I won't be playing this year.

"I'm hoping I can get the opportunity this year and perhaps if that is the case, push for an opportunity next year."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25811687-19742,00.html

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Joel Bowden reveals he wants to play on (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 07:39:53 AM »
A lot of class and strength of character has Joel Bowden.

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 08:36:44 AM »
Bowden has two children, Alice, 3, and Charles, 14 months.

Let's hope Charles can play a bit in 17 years.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 09:20:55 AM »
has certainly been on the rough end of it JB considering on form alone he should never have been dropped...he was caught in the backwash of pee poor form from the older brigade...simmo, browny and co....I wish him the very best but me thinks his next post maybe at Balwyn with his bro :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Ramps

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 09:51:00 AM »
No

Offline tugga

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 10:54:29 AM »
Should have been playing as a lead-up forward this year to relieve some of the burden on Jack. Can never understand why he was pigeonholed as a defender when it was obvious in his early days that he was a natural forward.
We will rise again and when we do, they will know.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 12:18:58 PM »
bowden is a champion

Ramps

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 12:36:53 PM »
bowden is a champion

not even close to being a champion. in jack dyer terms he is a good ordinary footballer.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 01:04:16 PM »
Joel Bowden isn't the chewy on a champions boot
Royce Hart was a champion, Bowden isn't even in the same galaxy

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 01:22:12 PM »
That article reminds me of when Steve Waugh was axed from the one day team.

I just hope Joel leaves the club with his dignity intact.He deserves that.
Unleash the tornado

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 06:58:15 PM »
Joel Bowden isn't the chewy on a champions boot
Royce Hart was a champion, Bowden isn't even in the same galaxy

Exactly.
Comment of this thread Infamy. :shh :clapping