Author Topic: Daniel Jackson calls for second break (RFC)  (Read 595 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Daniel Jackson calls for second break (RFC)
« on: July 21, 2009, 02:29:01 PM »
Jackson calls for second break
richmondfc.com.au
By Luke Holmesby  Tue 21 July, 2009

RICHMOND midfielder Daniel Jackson has called on the AFL to introduce a second split round to help players cope with the rigorous season.

“The split round certainly came at a good time during the year but I would be a massive advocate to have the dual split round, maybe one in round eight and one in round 16 because that extra couple of days recovery is paramount when it comes to this time of year,” Jackson said.

“Speaking personally I’m sore every week. I’ve been battling through and haven’t been training that much. A lot of other guys are very similar.

“The game has really taken a turn over the last two years in the intensity of the running. You generally would only play 80 or 90 per cent as a midfielder but it’s all high-intense running. You come off for a short break and you go again.”

Ben Cousins and Trent Cotchin were late withdrawals from the Richmond side that drew with North Melbourne on the weekend because of soreness rather than illness, which was initially reported.

Cotchin trained with Richmond’s first and second-year players on Tuesday morning.

Jackson said he was expecting the pair to return for this week’s clash with Essendon.

“As far as I know, yeah. They were late withdrawals due to soreness. Hopefully they should be fine.  We’ll see how they go at training during the week,” he said.

Jackson said he felt deflated when the final siren blew on Sunday to signal a draw but he stopped short of suggesting there should be extra-time for tied games.

“When you’re 40 points up and you think you’re in control of the game and you draw it, it effectively does feel like a loss. I think North wouldn’t be happy with drawing but they’d at least be happy to fight back,” he said.

“At the same time we did concede the lead late in the last quarter and we fought back again.

“Footy’s about momentum and generally if you’re 40 points up and then you come to be behind you generally won’t win the game.

“Everyone’s pretty spent at that point. Draws are disappointing for everyone but I suppose both teams worked equally hard so why not share the points. I don’t know, I haven’t got a firm view on it so I’ll leave that to the authorities above.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/81065/default.aspx