Author Topic: Mike Sheahan having a sook because Gale didn't let him break the story earlier  (Read 1215 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
C'mon, Brendon Gale, let's be more frank
Mike Sheahan | August 11, 2009

CALL it sour grapes, join the queue to tell me I'm precious, say it doesn't really matter, but ... The simmering hostility between the media on one side and players and officialdom on the other isn't always fuelled by those of us in the news business.

Here's an example of how frustrating it can be from our side.

I called AFL Players' Association chief executive Brendon Gale on Friday and, after the usual pleasantries, said: "Brendon, are you going back to Richmond as CEO?"

"Who told you that?" he asked.

I replied that the source was immaterial, adding his response was a dead giveaway about the validity of the question.

Then he said: "I don't know what you're talking about."

Really? I said: "I hear (chief executive) Stephen Wright is going and you're going to take his place."

Not the case, he said. Repeat, not happening.

He had to know what I was talking about because he was to say to me on the phone on Sunday night: "If you had have asked me the question in a different way, I would have had to say 'no comment'."

To me, Gale saying "I don't know what you're talking about" constituted a lie.

After so many years in this business and knowing how a word here or there, even the wrong tense, can provide an "out" for someone not wishing to confirm a breaking story, I pushed on, saying I had heard the powerful Richmond past players' group was pushing for the change.

He said: "Look, from time to time, people talk to you about jobs," adding what I understood to be a message that asked why the head of the powerful (and rich) players' association would want to go back to administration at club level?

I said to Gale I wouldn't be writing anything on the issue for the next day (last Saturday) because I trusted him and took him at his word, adding I would expect him to contact me if something material happened on that issue.

Sunday night, I received an sms from Gale saying: "I just want to reiterate that, when you asked me at midday on Friday whether I was considering an offer to join RFC as CEO, and I said 'no', I was being straight with you."

I replied: "What does that mean?"

He said: "Nothing, just

that there wasn't an offer to consider."

I called him and he said, "how are you?". I said that depended on the answer to the next question -- "Are you going back to Richmond as CEO?"

"No comment," he said.

Enough said.

The day after our Friday conversation, he had tendered his resignation to Joel Bowden, the AFLPA president and a former Richmond teammate.

Must have been some offer to have been offered and accepted inside 24 hours.

Three weeks ago, the AFLPA hosted a luncheon in the board room of a city legal firm to try to improve detente between the association and its members, and the media.

It was a function held in a spirit of co-operation and mutual interest.

Gale, who co-hosted the function, talked about respect and transparency and the upside of healthier relations. We parted warm and fuzzy.

I suspect most of you side with Gale on this one.

Let me ask, though, how can officials plead with us to ring them before we write stories, when they won't take calls or, worse, lie?

Sour grapes?

Maybe, but here's the closing address to the jury: our fundamental task role is to chase/break/report/analyse news.

Stories don't have to be gift-wrapped, but we are entitled to one concession, that we're not told lies.

Yes, I have made my share of mistakes. Those mistakes, though, have been based on considered views of the facts as I knew them, and what I saw as reasonable assumptions.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25911345-19742,00.html

Ramps

stiff poo mikey  ;D

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
The Riewoldt of the Journos.

Tissue Mike

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Very funny stuff by Mike

Hey Mike care factor = 0
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Tigermonk

No1 Cares  ;D

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Pot, kettle, black.

Offline 2JD

• RFC Hall of Fame
MY god! You mean someone didnt tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth to the media!!!!! :gobdrop
What is the world coming to!

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
Only day 1 and a Journo's already sticking the boots in. What are you doing Mike? are you rolling out the "Credibility Destroyer" campaign? I think you've spent to much time with Carlton Mike.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
I didn't realise Benny Gale was obligated to tell him anything
Last I checked, telling a lie isn't a crime

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
I heard Gales side, he didn't lie, as at the time of the question there wasnt a firm offer in front of him.

What obligation has Benny got to correct the position when the postion changed.

MMM, wonder where the leak came from, if they find out it is coming from inside Richmond they should show them the door.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Mike still sticking by his sooking tonight  ::)

* Whether Gale going back to Richmond is a move up yet to be seen. Surprised he left the AFLPA to go to a club. Believes he has higher ambitions in the AFL.

* On his Gale article - he didn't want to make a big deal about it. People will call him precious but he wanted to make a stand for the industry for the next generation [Ed. no kidding Mike actually said this  :rollin ]. He had a good working relationship with Gale so that's why he was so aggrieved when Benny didn't tell the truth. Mike hopes to sort things out sooner with Gale than when the next big Richmond story is out.

* On Joel - still believes Richmond treated him poorly. If he had played the last 2 weeks Richmond wouldn't have been as poor as they were. The young guys can still learn from him on gameday. In the next breath they got onto Russell Robertson and if he deserved a farewell game at the Dees and Mike says he wouldn't make any difference to Melbourne this year  ???.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
He didn't want to make a big deal about it.
Then why write about it and publish it if you didn't want to make a big deal of it Mike  ::)  :wallywink

he wanted to make a stand for the industry for the next generation

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com

"And coming up next on Open Mike is Richo ..... oops it's Judd instead. Oh no I told a lie!"
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd