Author Topic: Jade turns Tigers into tough nuts (Herald-Sun)  (Read 1240 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Jade turns Tigers into tough nuts (Herald-Sun)
« on: August 02, 2009, 03:28:26 AM »
I couldn't find this on the web so I scanned it in .....

Jade turns Tigers into tough nuts
By Jay Clark
Sunday Herald-Sun 02 AUG 2009, Page S19

JADE Rawlings has engineered a startling turnaround in the defensive deficiencies that have haunted Richmond for five years.

Six weeks into his post as caretaker coach, Rawlings's tactical imprint on the club has become clear.

He wants his troops to play a more direct, more accountable game style. And they are.

Champion Data statistical analysis gives Rawlings's first phase in charge a big tick, in all parts of the ground.

Almost gone is the one-way running that made the Tigers the least resistant team in the AFL, under former coach Terry Wallace.

It's not quite at St Kilda's levels, but Richmond's tackle count, pressure intensity and accountability has increased markedly over the past month and a half.

In that time, the Tigers have won two matches, drawn one and restricted the opposition to three fewer goals a game on average, from 111 points against to 93.

Backline coach David King hailed the Tigers' defensive improvements under Rawlings as ``enormous'' leading into today's clash against Melbourne at the MCG.

"The biggest change I'd say is that the group has grasped defensively more involvements,'' King said.

"No matter what position they play on the ground, they have had a part to play in us winning the ball back.

"I certainly think from a defensive point of view, or a back six point of view, it has made an enormous difference for us to be able to compete.

"They (players) have embraced that now and hopefully they don't take a step back from that.''

Richmond was the worst tackling team in the AFL under Wallace for the past two years, but not any more.
Since Round 12, when Rawlings took charge of the youngest Richmond team fielded in 15 years, its tackle count has increased by five a game on average.

It is a snapshot of the increased defensive work-rate, particularly around the stoppages, where the Tigers no longer run up the white flag if the opposition wins the ball.

Throughout the first 11 rounds, teams scored a whopping 36 per cent of the times they won a stoppage against Richmond, the highest ratio in the competition.

Under Rawlings, that number has been cut to 31 per cent, lifting the team above Melbourne and Port Adelaide.

When they have the footy, Rawlings's Tigers have abandoned attempts to mess around across half-back.

Contested possessions have increased, and uncontested possessions have plummeted, from the most in the competition, to 13th.

In attack, the Tigers' efficiency of scoring goals inside 50m has improved from 12th under Wallace to seventh under Rawlings.

The numbers represent a major change in tactical direction, and the improved results are expected to weigh heavily in Rawlings's favour in his bid to win the top job on a permanent basis.

Although the three-stage club coaching selection process has only just begun, Rawlings has become outright favourite in the betting race.

Four-time premiership coach David Parkin said it was clear the players had responded to Rawlings's message.

"I think he has put his hand up pretty well for the job,'' Parkin said.

"Jade has shown that the blokes want to work for him.''

From the day Rawlings was a surprise selection as caretaker, he has shown enormous passion and enthusiasm for the job.

"He's loving it,'' Rawlings's manager, Liam Pickering, said.

"He is a footy nut, he loves his footy and he knows his footy.''

TIGER TURNAROUND

Richmond under Jade Rawlings compared to Terry Wallace:

MATCH AVERAGES    WALLACE R1-11      RAWLINGS R12-17
Points against              110.9 (16th)           93.5 (10th)

Tackles                            56 (13th)              61 (12th)

Percentage scored against  35.9 (16th)        30.8 (14th)
when clearance lost

Photo Caption:  Harder edge: Jordan McMahon’s tackle  :o on North Melbourne’s Todd Goldstein in Round 16 typifies the Tigers’ more defensive approach under Jade Rawlings.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Jade turns Tigers into tough nuts (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 07:47:29 AM »
I know many of us (including me) are very aware and afraid of the perils of 'release the Geisch' but it is very hard to ignore some of these stats.  Thankfully we have this type of information now to assist the decision makers in the process - at least it will help sift through the emotion and highlight some facts, good or bad.

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 07:53:18 AM »
I know many of us (including me) are very aware and afraid of the perils of 'release the Geisch' but it is very hard to ignore some of these stats.  Thankfully we have this type of information now to assist the decision makers in the process - at least it will help sift through the emotion and highlight some facts, good or bad.

However could we understandably expect these numbers from such a small sample where we have been playing subpar teams most of the time since Jade took over.

We have to be very careful on how much we read into it but it's better than trends going backwards.  :thumbsup
EAT EM ALIVE!

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 08:04:25 AM »

However could we understandably expect these numbers from such a small sample where we have been playing subpar teams most of the time since Jade took over.

We have to be very careful on how much we read into it but it's better than trends going backwards.  :thumbsup

A win today will not be enough, if we have improved then it should be a 100 point plus win.

:cheers

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 08:39:13 AM »

Do you think these stats would have been the same if Wallace was still coaching?  I don't think the opposition is that relevant in this case - what is important is the type of stats - pressure, defensive efforts, tackle counts.  This tells me that the game plan has changed and the players have responded.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 08:43:08 AM »
Further to the changes that Rawlings has brought about, I read this on another forum this morning:

The following was written by Garry Young from the NW Tas supporters group......

On Thursday night I attended the Advocate's Sports Star of the Year Awards at Ulverstone and got the opportunity to have a good chat with Richmond's current coach, Jade Rawlings. Believe me, he is the real deal as far as I am concerned and it will take someone very special to stop him continuing in the role beyond this year. I asked him about Joel Bowden's axing and Tuck's demotion before last week's game. With Bowden, he said that the game before he took over as coach, against the Bulldogs, Joel amassed 34 possessions but was "crap" - loose, unaccountable, lazy, picked up cheapies etc. Tuck was not meeting the requirements of his game plan - again, unaccountable, sloppy
disposals, doing his own thing etc. Commended both guys on their acceptance of his decisions and how they have performed back at Coburg. Tuck will probably get back but I think Bowden's senior career could be over. Rawlings said he doesn't care about reputations, how many disposals they got etc - he would rather have a team of players who follow instructions and do what is expected of them by the coaching staff and match committee to help the team win. Spoke about Delideo as well. He believes that from the day Brett was drafted at number 1, the view of the Club was to build the team around him.  Hence he got lazy and full of himself leading to him narrowly avoiding being
dropped after the 9 nine goal loss to St Kilda and a session of "home truths". It has obviously worked because Delideo (and Tambling as well) have both been great since Rawlings took over. Other players that Rawlings talked about were Cousins - sensational and a "must sign" option for next year and also Burnie boy Tom Hislop who has put behind him his errant ways whilst at Essendon and does not realise just how good he could be. Won't be a star but can be a very good player for the Richmond Football Club.

And the link:  http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/tiger-talk/message/91637

Ramps

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 08:53:37 AM »
If the account is true and accurate, youd have to be concerned at the level of disclosure on players and where they are at. Wouldnt it be better to keep these things inhouse?

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 09:06:25 AM »
If the account is true and accurate, youd have to be concerned at the level of disclosure on players and where they are at. Wouldnt it be better to keep these things inhouse?

I think we're past that with senior players.  It pretty obvious anyway since they're playing at Coburg of where they are at.
EAT EM ALIVE!

TigerTimeII

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 10:57:33 AM »
Further to the changes that Rawlings has brought about, I read this on another forum this morning:

The following was written by Garry Young from the NW Tas supporters group......

On Thursday night I attended the Advocate's Sports Star of the Year Awards at Ulverstone and got the opportunity to have a good chat with Richmond's current coach, Jade Rawlings. Believe me, he is the real deal as far as I am concerned and it will take someone very special to stop him continuing in the role beyond this year. I asked him about Joel Bowden's axing and Tuck's demotion before last week's game. With Bowden, he said that the game before he took over as coach, against the Bulldogs, Joel amassed 34 possessions but was "crap" - loose, unaccountable, lazy, picked up cheapies etc. Tuck was not meeting the requirements of his game plan - again, unaccountable, sloppy
disposals, doing his own thing etc. Commended both guys on their acceptance of his decisions and how they have performed back at Coburg. Tuck will probably get back but I think Bowden's senior career could be over. Rawlings said he doesn't care about reputations, how many disposals they got etc - he would rather have a team of players who follow instructions and do what is expected of them by the coaching staff and match committee to help the team win. Spoke about Delideo as well. He believes that from the day Brett was drafted at number 1, the view of the Club was to build the team around him.  Hence he got lazy and full of himself leading to him narrowly avoiding being
dropped after the 9 nine goal loss to St Kilda and a session of "home truths". It has obviously worked because Delideo (and Tambling as well) have both been great since Rawlings took over. Other players that Rawlings talked about were Cousins - sensational and a "must sign" option for next year and also Burnie boy Tom Hislop who has put behind him his errant ways whilst at Essendon and does not realise just how good he could be. Won't be a star but can be a very good player for the Richmond Football Club.

And the link:  http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/tiger-talk/message/91637

jade is spot on, well done
danog and dogged, you see it wasnt just me that saw this, maybe im not the dumbarse u think i am and your views on deledio were too biased
once again i repeat, nothing wrong with having an ego, as long as when u step over that white line team comes first! terry wallace was the worst thing to ever set foot in put road, hope karma smacks wallace in the face so hard one day

Con65

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 11:38:49 AM »

The mostly subpar teams have included 4 teams in the finals (saints, crows, blues and bombers) and only 2 out of the finals (weagles and roos)....

I wish RFC were mostly subpar  ;)....but i get your point..it is a small sample...at the end of rd 22 it will be clearer...but by then you can add dees and weagles who are clearly tanking....then again Wallace stats include games against dees (which we lost) freo roos...

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 12:19:55 PM »
Too many pro Jade articles at this point in time.

2 months ago there was all this negative writing and now its all too too positive.
It's as if the agenda is to get Jade across the line via the printing press.

Who have we beaten in his tenure and how?

Hardwick is the better man and we all know it but many have been seduced by a few wins against lesser opposition in a bleak bleak season.

When Terry left most people on here would have taken Hardwick over Jade full time.
I am still of that thinking.

Don't get stooged again Tigers.

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 05:23:42 PM »

A win today will not be enough, if we have improved then it should be a 100 point plus win.

:cheers

We went backwards today.

Just won against a Melb seconds side who didn't want to win.

:help

Ramps

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2009, 05:47:51 PM »
Hardwick or someone from a successful background should get the job. Todays effort shows that Rawlings isnt ready for the main gig.

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2009, 06:16:52 PM »
Hardwick or someone from a successful background should get the job. Todays effort shows that Rawlings isnt ready for the main gig.

Too early to make that call yet but today didn't help his cause.

:help