Author Topic: Worst games of footy you've ever seen in your life?  (Read 2518 times)

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
Re: Worst games of footy you've ever seen in your life?
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2009, 10:12:03 PM »
How about the Geelong game at the Dome in 2007

Got it in one  :thumbsup

ok, so we're ALL agreed then, this would be the worst thread ever... ::)
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2009, 10:20:26 PM »
Taking into consideration the opposition, this is by far the worst game i have seen for as long as i can remember! Jade did himself no favours today.

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2009, 11:03:41 PM »
no. this wasn't the worst match of AFL. this was only Richmond's worst win of the season.

how the f*** can they play like that today?

we should of won by seven goals or more.

Jade isn't going to coach us beyond this year, after that match, unless we were 'tanking'.

please tell me, we were 'tanking'?

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2009, 12:13:08 AM »
Great teams win ugly all the time ....This is a fact of life.

What if Geelong and St kilda were judged only by their efforts against WCE in recent weeks.

Ugly win...better than Ugly Loss.

This is where we are as a young club.We are going to take a couple of steps forward then take a step back....

I thought todays game resembled a steaming pile of dog poo...still glad we won so we didn't suffer the humiliation of losing to Melbourne twice in one season.

I predict a much better effort against the Swans.
Unleash the tornado

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2009, 12:16:06 AM »
Why? It's a fair question after what was on display yesterday. Nearly everyone around me in the Richmond members were saying the same thing. People were laughing it was that bad! And I didn't just mean worst RFC performance where we played crap while the opposition played well and we got flogged as a result. Yesterday was one of the worst poorly skilled games of footy from both sides I've seen. If we had played like that against St Kilda or Geelong we would've lost by 100+ points  :help. Thankfully Melbourne were just as embarrassingly woeful. The 2nd and 3rd quarters of the Carlton-Collingwood game two weeks ago would be up there in the shocker skill states too but yesterday simply wasn't AFL standard for virtually the whole 4 quarters from both sides. The only redeming feature was the scores were close throughout and the finish was exciting and we won. Probably the only games I can think of that were worse than yesterday were that Saints-Hawks night game a few years ago that made the news it was so bad and the Saints-Swans draw in the early 2000s where they each kicked 4 goals.

It was just so disappointing to take a big step back to old bad habits after last week's good and promising win.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 12:38:39 AM by mightytiges »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

TigerTimeII

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2009, 02:02:17 AM »
FFS :banghead :banghead

listen to you all, worst game ever bla bla bla

the only way to get better is to have a winning culture, geelong and the saints unnder bomber and lyon, became good teams after learning to win ugly ffs

look all you peoples who reckon the game was poo, what a crock, he showed character, he played pretty tough, conditions were crap but at least we were physical and kept at it and didnt fold

and to see the reaction of teh boys after jordy kicked the winning goal was a sight for sore eyes, have you ever seen such excitement from the team, the whole team even cuz had a bona!!

stuff me dead, melb are not as bad as many think, they should have beaten sydney last week

this game cintrary to many ppls beliefs was better and a moire important win than last week.

bloody hell some ppl are hard to please

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2009, 03:00:05 AM »
                         Round 12 1995

Richmond    5.5  8.9  11.13 15.19  109
Fitzroy        3.3  9.7  15.11 15.13  103

Even Richmond teams on TOP of the ladder can have "lucky" "uninspiring" wins over weak opposition.IIRC we won the above game in the dying seconds on the back of some questionable umpiring decisions in our favour.

Sounds strange....but yesterdays win is not the end of the world.

For the record poor old Fitzroy only won two games in 95...and did not win a match after rd 8.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 03:24:35 AM by mat073 »
Unleash the tornado

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2009, 11:55:43 AM »
Why? It's a fair question after what was on display yesterday. Nearly everyone around me in the Richmond members were saying the same thing. People were laughing it was that bad! And I didn't just mean worst RFC performance where we played crap while the opposition played well and we got flogged as a result. Yesterday was one of the worst poorly skilled games of footy from both sides I've seen. If we had played like that against St Kilda or Geelong we would've lost by 100+ points  :help. Thankfully Melbourne were just as embarrassingly woeful. The 2nd and 3rd quarters of the Carlton-Collingwood game two weeks ago would be up there in the shocker skill states too but yesterday simply wasn't AFL standard for virtually the whole 4 quarters from both sides. The only redeming feature was the scores were close throughout and the finish was exciting and we won. Probably the only games I can think of that were worse than yesterday were that Saints-Hawks night game a few years ago that made the news it was so bad and the Saints-Swans draw in the early 2000s where they each kicked 4 goals.

It was just so disappointing to take a big step back to old bad habits after last week's good and promising win.
well i still stand by the fact you mustnt have followed RFC for too long if you rated that game worst ever...notwithstanding some of this years pathetic performances I could go on all day about insipid efforts that i would prefer to forget...We went down to the wire when we 'rent even playing that well...in recent times we would have folded and LOST...if that effort can be described as WORST then you need to take a good look...I feel you should rephrase the thread title to something like Boy it wasn't pretty but we got the job done...ok :whistle
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2009, 01:40:30 PM »
Whether it was the worst ever or not, that can be debated til the cows come home, but IMO it is definitely up there with the worst.  Absolute pile of poo and painful as to watch.

It was good to see the standard of umpiring matched the game on display as well.  ::)

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2009, 02:38:06 PM »
1999 Rnd 11 Tigers 3-12-20 Power 4-8-32

The only thing you could say about that game was that it was close and in the players defence the conditions were shocking but it wasn't pretty to watch,

Tigermonk

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2009, 05:13:59 PM »
some of the worst games l have seen would have to be Jason Dunstall kicking 17 goals twice flogging us alone with his goal kicking & Gary Ablett Snr doing the same everytime he played against us. we needed a player like Jake King back in them days

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2009, 05:41:02 PM »
1999 Rnd 11 Tigers 3-12-20 Power 4-8-32

The only thing you could say about that game was that it was close and in the players defence the conditions were shocking but it wasn't pretty to watch,

You could say something else - the scores didn't add up.   ???

Jackstar is back

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2009, 06:24:37 PM »
really, your mind does not go back to when we played them last time or try Round One for size in front of 87,000...If this was the worsrt the RFC have played ever , I will be monkeys hairy behindd uncle :o

Actually my mind does go back.
I would say "'strategic wise "" it was the worse. Not scoreboard wise .
Players ''wrong sided"' at stoppages etc
Players giving off when only 20 metres out from goal with a set shot.
Switching in D 50 when players were clearly covered.
Kicking to contests when kicking in. etc etc

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2009, 06:35:25 PM »
some of the worst games l have seen would have to be Jason Dunstall kicking 17 goals twice flogging us alone with his goal kicking & Gary Ablett Snr doing the same everytime he played against us. we needed a player like Jake King back in them days

Of course if Bowden was at full back that day on Dunstall, JD would have been lucky to have kicked one goal.  :lol :rollin :lol

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2009, 01:15:49 AM »
That Port game was played in torrential rain at night at Footy Park so that explains the low scoring. We kicked 1 goal to 3/4 time it was that difficult and slippery to score but we almost pinched it in the last. IIRC the Birdman had a final ping in the last couple of minutes but just missed and Port won by 2 points.

well i still stand by the fact you mustnt have followed RFC for too long if you rated that game worst ever...notwithstanding some of this years pathetic performances I could go on all day about insipid efforts that i would prefer to forget...We went down to the wire when we'rent even playing that well...in recent times we would have folded and LOST...if that effort can be described as WORST then you need to take a good look...I feel you should rephrase the thread title to something like Boy it wasn't pretty but we got the job done...ok :whistle
You're missing my point. In terms of the standard on display by BOTH sides it would be up there as the worst game I've seen live. Even KB on SEN replayed after the game a 3 minute period of commentary to the tune of Benny Hill it was that bad. Yes Richmond have put in pathetic efforts many times before in the past 27 years and we've all had to painfully sit through them  :help but at least you can say the opposition was superior and played good footy. Sunday was sheer comedy. Just when you thought the standard couldn't get any worse, it did lol. Thankfully we just won to save total embarrassment for the club. Weren't even playing that well is a bit of an understatement  ;) :yep
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd