Author Topic: Players believing their own press  (Read 1009 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Players believing their own press
« on: August 02, 2009, 05:04:11 PM »
We have ONE good win and the following week we pump ourselves up in the media and on gameday try to be heroes and stop doing the 1%ers and team things that earnt us the praise in the first place. No point bragging about us being tougher and better defensively if we just revert back to selfishly peeling off trying to boost our possie numbers while leaving the ballcarrier isolated and exposed. Today was a step back to Terry's handball mad gameplan  :banghead. I hope Jade blasts the crap out of them and on the track if he wants the job next year. We need to get rid of this lazy "satisfied after ONE win" attitude.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Tigermonk

Re: Players believing their own press
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 05:08:25 PM »
  :lol  :rollin They will never learn to zip it ;D

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 05:12:55 PM »
Players have to realise that there are no easy games in the AFL.Not for us anyway.
Unleash the tornado

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 08:42:32 PM »
We have ONE good win and the following week we pump ourselves up in the media and on gameday try to be heroes and stop doing the 1%ers and team things that earnt us the praise in the first place. No point bragging about us being tougher and better defensively if we just revert back to selfishly peeling off trying to boost our possie numbers while leaving the ballcarrier isolated and exposed. Today was a step back to Terry's handball mad gameplan  :banghead. I hope Jade blasts the crap out of them and on the track if he wants the job next year. We need to get rid of this lazy "satisfied after ONE win" attitude.

First sane post about today's game that I have read.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 08:53:17 PM »
We have had 5.5 wins from 19 games.

With a draw against North
With a win against Freo by 3 points
Melbourne by 4 points
Essendon by 5 points

Could so easily had 2 wins for the year to this stage.
Certainly nothing to crow about.

Ramps

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 08:56:02 PM »

With a draw against North
With a win against Freo by 3 points
Melbourne by 4 points
Essendon by 5 points

Certainly nothing to crow about.

yep but unfortunately reality isnt in real focus with some of our supporters. the lower we finish the better picks we get. and we definately need the best pics we can get.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 09:11:06 PM »
Wins over the last few weeks attract too much backslapping and not enough attention to the reality of our on field plight. Hence people can easily get caught up in the romance of this. Even if we win 2 of our remaining 4 matches and finish with 7.5 wins this season is still a failure as a whole and the deficiencies exposed need to be prompty addresses rather than focussing on 5.5 wins against less than spirited and weaker opposition in the second half of the year.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 09:18:15 PM »

And the game we lost to Geelong after looking a good chance in the last quarter.
And the game we lost to Sydney after looking a good chance in the last quarter.
And the game we lost to Brisbane after looking a good chance in the last quarter.
And the game we lost to Port after looking a good chance in the last quarter.
And the game we lost to Adelaide after looking a good chance in the last quarter.
And the game we lost to Carlton after looking a good chance in the last quarter.

Could so easily have been 11.5 wins from 19 games.  Your point?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 09:20:10 PM »
I hope Jade blasts the crap out of them and on the track if he wants the job next year. We need to get rid of this lazy "satisfied after ONE win" attitude.

He certainly let rip at qtr time  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 09:24:42 PM »
Smokey you just answered your question a good team would have won all those games you mentioned as well as the ones I did too. We would be somewhere close to 11.5 wins, 12 to exact if we were a good side.

5.5 wins is not acceptable after the hype and hysteria of the pre season and a few narrow wins at the end of the season are merely the equivalent of sticking a piece of chewing gum in the crack of the dam wall.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 09:37:52 PM »
Smokey you just answered your question a good team would have won all those games you mentioned as well as the ones I did too. We would be somewhere close to 11.5 wins, 12 to exact if we were a good side.

5.5 wins is not acceptable after the hype and hysteria of the pre season and a few narrow wins at the end of the season are merely the equivalent of sticking a piece of chewing gum in the crack of the dam wall.

Yes it is not acceptable, just as believing that tanking to lose games to pick up one extra player will make that difference.  However, learning to win those games that we had played well enough in to be a last quarter chance will be acceptable.

Tanking is the equivalent of adding an extra piece of chewing gum in the belief it will hold better in the wall.  At the end of the day it's only one piece of chewing gum.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 09:43:03 PM »
Was not referring to tanking Smokey.

By the time we are finished I think we will have a pretty big gob of chewing gum. :thumbsup

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2009, 09:44:30 PM »

By the time we are finished I think we will have a pretty big gob of chewing gum. :thumbsup

:lol