Author Topic: And then there were 5 + 1 for the Job  (Read 8334 times)

Ramps

Re: And then there were 5 + 1 for the Job
« Reply #90 on: August 11, 2009, 08:27:31 AM »
then that makes Hardwick no different than Campbell, he shouldnot coach us if he never coached a team on his own

That's a very interesting point you make Monk.

Would be interested to here others comment on that one :thumbsup

HAVING SUCCESS AS AN ASSISTANT IS BETTER THAN HAVING COACHED YOUR OWN TEAM AND NOT GONE ANYWHERE. SOME OF YOU BLOKES WANT PEOPLE LIKE RAWLINGS AND KNIGHTS ETC. These guys have never had any success coaching ANYWHERE- Infact these guys in reality never had success in team environments. And that Gentlemen is the FACTS!

IF A CANDIDATE has NO PREMIERSHIP EXPERIENCE then they CANNOT Become Coach.

Tigermonk

« Reply #91 on: August 11, 2009, 08:56:14 AM »

HAVING SUCCESS AS AN ASSISTANT IS BETTER THAN HAVING COACHED YOUR OWN TEAM AND NOT GONE ANYWHERE. SOME OF YOU BLOKES WANT PEOPLE LIKE RAWLINGS AND KNIGHTS ETC. These guys have never had any success coaching ANYWHERE- Infact these guys in reality never had success in team environments. And that Gentlemen is the FACTS!

IF A CANDIDATE has NO PREMIERSHIP EXPERIENCE then they CANNOT Become Coach.

Ramps thats just stupid what you wrote about having success as a assistant is better than coaching your own team.
until someone has coached thier own side against other coaches being a assistant dont make you a coach.
Its a whole new world when you take control of the players & the staff you are directing under you.
many assistant coaches work for many years some like Royal, Bond, Odonnell, Crocker, just to name a few & are overlooked because they dont come up at interview or presentation.  Not everyone is cut out to be a AFL coach & thats why its important to have coached your own team so when you do present yourself for the top job you have the requirements what clubs are looking for.

Playing & coaching in premierships is very different

Tigermonk

« Reply #92 on: August 11, 2009, 09:03:44 AM »
Thats why its important to get it right this time around otherwise the supporters will drop off & Richmond will lose players like what happened with Ottens Or Maxfield which was one of Richmond worse mistakes

TigerTimeII

« Reply #93 on: August 11, 2009, 10:00:10 AM »
then that makes Hardwick no different than Campbell, he shouldnot coach us if he never coached a team on his own

i dont want hardwick, his all bark no bite, has this great reputation as a coach but really hasnty done anything as a coach , just been someones lil biatch

how do u rate the hawks coaching this yr wow fantastic great

hardwick fos

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #94 on: August 11, 2009, 10:03:17 AM »

i dont want hardwick, his all bark no bite, has this great reputation as a coach but really hasnty done anything as a coach , just been someones lil biatch

how do u rate the hawks coaching this yr wow fantastic great

hardwick fos

i couldnt care less about how about the Hawks this year i care about one thing. "a Flag". something that was delivered last year from their coaching staff. Thats got to count for somethiong wouldn't you say.

Now i dont know much about Richardson to be honest but i hear good things also but Hardwick is our man. If not ours North will grab him.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Jobba

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #95 on: August 11, 2009, 10:18:13 AM »
In my opinion there is successful players, successful assistant coaches and successful head coaches at any sport at any level. There are those who are going to be successful players, but not great assistant coaches. There are going to be successful assistant coaches who never become great head coaches (to many to name really), and there are going to be successful players who never become great head coaches (Tim Watson, I suppose Terry Wallace as well).

All this talk of we need a coach who ticks the box of being in a preimership side, or who ticks the box of coaching their own football team in some way shape or form are all cases where it would be handy but not essential. There are plenty of successful coaches in other sports who have not had success as a player or assistant coach and have gone on to have tremendous success as a coach, why is AFL football any different? As a Richmond fan, I want the coach who can do the job better than anyone else. Who has a plan for success which is logical and is possible. I want a coach who is going to better the team, and better the players, and start them on the road to success. If thats a successful player and a successful assistant coach then so be it. If its the assistant coach of the Craigieburn under 12 team then so be it.

Richmond's next coach needs to be a man who has the ability and plan to change the football club. It does not need a coach who has 'the right pedigree'.

Just my 2 cents.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #96 on: August 11, 2009, 10:40:55 AM »
In my opinion there is successful players, successful assistant coaches and successful head coaches at any sport at any level. There are those who are going to be successful players, but not great assistant coaches. There are going to be successful assistant coaches who never become great head coaches (to many to name really), and there are going to be successful players who never become great head coaches (Tim Watson, I suppose Terry Wallace as well).

All this talk of we need a coach who ticks the box of being in a preimership side, or who ticks the box of coaching their own football team in some way shape or form are all cases where it would be handy but not essential. There are plenty of successful coaches in other sports who have not had success as a player or assistant coach and have gone on to have tremendous success as a coach, why is AFL football any different? As a Richmond fan, I want the coach who can do the job better than anyone else. Who has a plan for success which is logical and is possible. I want a coach who is going to better the team, and better the players, and start them on the road to success. If thats a successful player and a successful assistant coach then so be it. If its the assistant coach of the Craigieburn under 12 team then so be it.

Richmond's next coach needs to be a man who has the ability and plan to change the football club. It does not need a coach who has 'the right pedigree'.

Just my 2 cents.

And an excellent 2 cents worth it is too Jobba!

TigerTimeII

« Reply #97 on: August 11, 2009, 11:10:48 AM »

Just my 2 cents.

And an excellent 2 cents worth it is too Jobba!

EXACTLY
hardwick has had the fortune of being surrounded by winners, does not make him a winner

paul roos is a winner, and he is poles apart from hardwick

we need someone who can bring us back from the lowest of lows, hardwick isnt the man

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #98 on: August 11, 2009, 11:27:54 AM »
I don't think we can judge assistant coaches on anything from afar. We can all guess how good they are. Point to the success they have been part of elsewhere. Talk about how they approached the game when they played. Ultimately we really don't know. We can only hope that our club is looking for the right things in a coach to bring us that success we have all been starved for for decades.

Jobba - great post.

Stripes

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #99 on: August 11, 2009, 06:25:54 PM »

Just my 2 cents.

One of the best posts on this subject i have read  :clapping :clapping

Well said Jobba
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Jackstar is back

« Reply #100 on: August 11, 2009, 06:32:55 PM »

Just my 2 cents.

One of the best posts on this subject i have read  :clapping :clapping

Well said Jobba

yep, I would agree with that