Author Topic: Goodbye Richo?  (Read 1881 times)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Goodbye Richo?
« on: October 14, 2009, 03:12:52 PM »
Rethink for Richo
14/10/2009 12:12 PM
Angus Morgan
Sportal

Richmond veteran Matthew Richardson may be wavering about playing on at Tigerland next season.

The 34-year-old, who was sidelined for all but six games in 2009 as a result of surgery to repair a partially torn hamstring tendon, was understood to be keen to continue next year for what would be his 18th season at AFL level.

As recently as last month, Richardson told Vega FM, "'I feel pretty good and I'm really looking forward to getting back running, so I'm pretty sure everything will work out all right."

Asked if that meant he would play on next season, he said: ''Yes''.

The signals from new Richmond chief executive Brendon Gale on Wednesday, however, were more equivocal.

He said that Richardson, who's away on holiday, had yet to confirm that he would be reporting for duty when training resumes on Monday week, October 26.

"I think there's a role for him in the coach's plans but the decision is Matthew's to go away and decide whether he has the capacity from a physical point of view and the conviction to go around another year," Gale told SEN.

"I guess we're confident at this stage that he will, but we're just awaiting final confirmation from Matt."

"I did see some reports a few weeks ago that were a little more bullish or unequivocal about where he was going, but my understanding is that he's just reserving his judgement for a little bit longer."

Richardson made a failed attempt to return to action late last season when he hobbled from the field only minutes into his comeback match in the VFL.

The club insisted at the time that the problem was not related to his hamstring treatment but that a decision had been made for him to undergo minor knee surgery.

An icon at Punt Road, 'Richo' had been urged by club president Gary March to keep playing and it's understood that new senior coach Damien Hardwick was supportive.

Last season's interim coach Jade Rawlings, who's also Richardson's brother-in-law, maintained throughout his term that Richardson should be entitled to keep playing if that's what he wants to do.

There's no suggestion that Richardson's rethink, if that's what's happening, has anything to do with Hardwick's grand plans to reconstruct what was one of the competition's oldest lists.

"He's got a blueprint for success which involves a number of ingredients and there's a real focus on youth," said Gale.

"We've got some established players that are young, 22 or 23-years-of-age ... and we want to complement that core with a young group and get a core bunch of guys between 21 and 25 in the next few years."

"We wanted to reserve our draft picks to get those sorts of players into the club."

"They're going to be developing years."

Richardson has played 282 AFL games which places him sixth on the club's all-time list, and has won the Tigers goalkicking 13 times for a career total of 800 goals.

http://sportal.com.au/afl-news-display/rethink-for-richo-79575

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Goodbye Richo?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 09:28:00 PM »
Bit of a space filler here.
Richo was always going to take his time on this decision to give the hammy every chance.
I'm guessing we'll know his decision soon enough.

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 09:44:18 PM »
Will be his last year IMO.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 10:56:06 PM »
Media getting bored again are they now that the Fev debarcle is over!!! :banghead

Fools, Richo will play next year IMO.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Jackstar is back

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 11:05:02 PM »
Media getting bored again are they now that the Fev debarcle is over!!! :banghead

Reality is that he wont play.
Even he doesnt know., so how do posters on here know ::) :banghead
He hasnt tried to run. Mail around is that he is more unlikely than likely.But he wont know till he tries to run

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 11:11:58 PM »

He hasnt tried to run. Mail around is that he is more unlikely than likely.But he wont know till he tries to run

Thats why I said IMO....IMO, lets remember this is a forum :banghead to discuss these issues and we all KNOW that you are the only one that really knows for certain what is happening at the club. Thats why you always post after the media has realesed the story then you tell us how it will turn out!! :whistle ::)

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 12:20:30 AM »

Spot the irony in that statement.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 12:31:29 AM »

Spot the irony in that statement.

:clapping :lol

"Rucks:

bushranger

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 02:21:24 PM »
In my opinion I don't think he should not play on.
Yes, I can hear you all shouting down at your computer screens now, saying how the hell would you know.
I don't, I just think he should leave the game and look after himself now, he ain't getting any younger.
And thing's take a hell of a lot longer to recover when you get older, as he is.
Just look at the VFL game he played or should I say attempted to play.
Yer, he could have been taken off for something totally unrelated to what is wrong with him.
But he never made it a match.
I know this will not win me friends but I have got as much rights to voice my opinion as you do.
Weather they go down well or not.

Jackstar is back

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 09:17:34 PM »

Thats why I said IMO....IMO, lets remember this is a forum :banghead to discuss these issues and we all KNOW that you are the only one that really knows for certain what is happening at the club. Thats why you always post after the media has realesed the story then you tell us how it will turn out!! :whistle ::)

Actually post before the articles are released. you might want to check your facts before your post rubbish

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 09:35:55 PM »

Actually post before the articles are released. you might want to check your facts before your post rubbish

Of course you do mate of course you do...... just like this time eh... :whistle

"Rucks:

Jackstar is back

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 10:46:29 PM »

Mate, dont crack the sads because I dont PM you :'(

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 10:58:11 PM »
The decision should be Richo's as the club is allowing him to do. As a veteran listed player he's not taking up a senior list spot and only half his salary counts towards the cap. If Richo decided to retire he would be replaced by our last pick in the rookie draft which is something like the 170th kid available overall in a compromised draft year. If he decided he's had enough and there's nothing to play for given we'll be wooden spoon favourites next year then fair enough, but I would keep Richo on and give him all the time he needs to recover and start running again. We've got nothing to lose.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2009, 11:00:44 PM »
How about putting us on your breaking news PM mailing list, Jacko?  Arguing with you is always fun.  ;D

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2009, 11:39:08 PM »

Mate, dont crack the sads because I dont PM you :'(

You have got to be joking me, get the stuff over yourself whoever the hell you think you are. I asked you for one PM, you didn't do it and it was never mentioned again by me or you.

Who ever you are or think you are just remember next time you are sitting on the toilet that it all ends up at the same place, but then again with the amount that comes out of your mouth perhaps you lean into the bowl.. ::)

"Rucks: