Author Topic: Xavs and Richo, Cogs, Sugar and Petts... enough flags to go around? (Age)  (Read 2553 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Xavs and Richo... enough flags to go around?
Cameron Noakes
December 27, 2009

THE CHANCE of Matthew Richardson tasting premiership glory is still alive — albeit by the dimmest of heartbeats and not at AFL level — with the recently retired Richmond great training with powerhouse Old Xaverians in the Victorian Amateur Football Association.

If ever a club was the antithesis of Richmond it is Old Xaverians. Xavs, unlike the modern Tigers, win stuff; in fact, they have won 10 flags, including six in a row, since 1995 — so it is not surprising that success-starved Richmond players are attracted to Xavs like moths to a flame. Pssst believes it is possible Mark Coughlan, Kayne Pettifer, Kane Johnson and Richo could all take the field for the reigning premier next season.

Richardson, however, is the most unlikely starter. Outgoing Old Xavs captain (and ex-Tiger and Blue) Tim Fleming says Richo's television and radio commitments will prevent him from playing.

“If Channel Seven sack him before the finals he might be a chance,” Fleming told Pssst with a nudge and a wink, clarifying that the scenario was highly unlikely. “At the moment he's just training with us to try and keep the fat off the gut.”

Fleming says Pettifer is a more realistic chance of playing for Xavs when his busted knee recovers, former Richmond captain Johnson may play when he returns from overseas, and the club is at present having “a crack” at Coughlan. “But I haven't told Cogs that I'm not playing,” says Fleming.

As for Fleming, he has played in five of Old Xavs' premierships and has been captain for the past two years, but the 31-year-old officially retired when Xavs won the 2009 flag. “I thought I would go out on a high,” he says, without completely ruling out playing again.

If a handful of Fleming's former Tiger teammates line up for Xavs, one suspects the temptation will be too great for him … and don't ever rule them out of an 11th flag in 16 years (with or without Richo – or Pettifer, for that matter).

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/carltons-soup-on-the-nose-20091226-lfuk.html

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Xavs and Richo, Cogs, Sugar and Petts... enough flags to go around? (Age)
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 02:53:16 AM »

As for Fleming, he has played in five of Old Xavs' premierships and has been captain for the past two years, but the 31-year-old officially retired when Xavs won the 2009 flag. “I thought I would go out on a high,” he says, without completely ruling out playing again.

I see that spud Fleming finally found his level after getting punted by Richmond.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 04:32:29 PM »
The Border Mail reckons Petts is going to play alongside Hydey at the Albury Tigers who are cashed up.

Cogs would star in the Ammos if he joins Old Xavs. He was just too slow after all his injuries to keep playing AFL.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 03:39:04 PM »

I see that spud Fleming finally found his level after getting punted by Richmond.

Fleming was not a bad player.

At least he put his head over the ball.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 09:09:02 PM »

Fleming was not a bad player.

At least he put his head over the ball.
But he couldn't kick to save himself.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Nor could most the players on our list the last 5-10 years.

As list Flemming could get the ball.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Nor could most the players on our list the last 5-10 years.

As list Flemming could get the ball.
So he could give it back to the opposition?
He was a tryer, put his body on the line constantly, but simply not an AFL grade player

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
The Border Mail reckons Petts is going to play alongside Hydey at the Albury Tigers who are cashed up.

Cogs would star in the Ammos if he joins Old Xavs. He was just too slow after all his injuries to keep playing AFL.
Petts is going back to play with mates in Kyabram when he gets his knee right. (last half of the season)