Author Topic: A Fair Call (Examiner)  (Read 852 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
A Fair Call (Examiner)
« on: February 09, 2010, 12:38:24 PM »
A Fair Call
Alex Fair
Examiner
09 Feb, 2010

``I've witnessed Tiger people destroy pieces of Richmond-themed merchandise after losing games they were never going to win.

``And if their team happens to beat yours, you never, ever hear the end of it...''

# The Examiner's ALEX FAIR takes a look at the intriguing enigma that is the Richmond Football Club...

Usually the NAB Cup doesn't interest me that much.

Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that the footy is back and the opportunity to see new kids at each club and some older ``kids'' getting a second or third crack at the big time.

And a lot of that is usually based on making sure I make the right selections when it comes to the all-important dream team.

But the games usually lack a genuine feeling and a genuine interest for me, and from a results point of view I couldn't care less.

I actually blame the Carlton Football Club for that, by winning pre-season premierships and by failing to show up for the rest of the year, it really sullied the concept for me.

But surprisingly, this weekend's game has captured my attention, and it has got a lot to do with Richmond Football Club.

In 2010 the Tigers will very much have a new identity thanks to senior coach Damien Hardwick, who made 14 changes to the list in his first few weeks in charge, indicating how far the Tigers have fallen in recent times.

Whenever a side culls as many names as Richmond has, you're almost forced to have a look to see how they are going to rebuild.

And Hardwick is thinking long-term, with a lot of taller players drafted, but from the running players he has brought in, keep an eye on Dustin Martin.

The young midfielder looks a genuine gun, and at this early stage would be one of the favourites for the NAB Rising Star.

The move to cut so many players was one that Hardwick had to make to try to get Richmond out of the cycle it has been stuck in for the last couple of decades.

In my lifetime (25 years) Richmond has only reached the finals twice (1995 and 2001).

To put that into comparison Fremantle has made the finals the same number of times, but has only been around since 1995.

It's sad that Richmond can be compared to a club like the Dockers, because unlike Freo, Richmond has a real culture and history.

Ten premierships and players such as Jack Dyer, Kevin Bartlett, Tom Hafey, Michael Roach, Kevin Sheedy, Wayne Campbell, Matthew Knights and Matthew Richardson should indicate a club that reeks of success, but for Richmond it is the opposite.

For too long, close has always seemed to be good enough for the side known as ``Ninthmond''.

And the players that have gone weren't going to be part of Richmond's next premiership (mind you some who have stayed won't be as well), so there can be no arguments with any of the decisions made.

Gone are Joel Bowden, former skipper Kane Johnson, Andrew Raines, Jay Schulz, Nathan Brown, Mark Coughlan, Cleve Hughes, Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls, Adam Pattison, Kayne Pettifer, Dean Putt, and Jarrod Silvester, as well as the retired Richardson.

Richoman of course is the saddest loss, and not just for Tigers fans.

I'm not ashamed to admit I love Richoman.

In fact I wouldn't mind being Richoman, except I like winning.

He was the imperfect champion that everyone loved. It didn't matter how many times he'd miss a shot from 20 metres directly in front.

It's something that's always bothered me -- why he wasn't pushed up the ground sooner, or even given a run at centre-half-back -- but I'm not one to cry over spilt milk.

The question has to be asked: why he hasn't been given a lap of honour before this weekend's game? I know it's a Hawthorn home match, but how good would it be for the people of Tasmania to say goodbye to one of their favourite sons?

Hopefully, the Tigers can honour his memory of sorts and have some success with this new group that Hardwick is building.

Richmond fans will have to be patient, but waiting is something that they are used to.

They deserve this new chapter to have some element of success more than any other supporter groups (save maybe St Kilda, Western Bulldogs and Melbourne), because in many ways their fans are the most passionate.

And emotional.

And annoying.

Have you ever been to a Richmond game with a Tiger? They usually give up before the first bounce, start abusing their players from the word go and are happy to leave at three quarter-time, even if there is still a slight chance of victory.

I've witnessed Tiger people destroy pieces of Richmond-themed merchandise after losing games they were never going to win.

And if their team happens to beat yours, you never, ever hear the end of it.

There are even some Essendon supporters out there who are still constantly reminded about the 1995 semi-final...

There's no doubt it will be an intriguing journey to watch Hardwick's Tigers, and even though the rest of us will never hear the end of it, here's hoping it brings some level of joy to the long-suffering faithful.

http://www.examiner.com.au/news/local/sport/general/a-fair-call/1746159.aspx?storypage=0

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: A Fair Call (Examiner)
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 03:41:43 PM »
Here here!  :clapping

Good article and a fair judgment. It is depressing how long we have waited and how unsuccessful we have been and now we have to sit back again, take more punishment in the desperate effort to amount some type of finals success. I thought Wallace was building us the list we needed for sustained success yet that proved to be a false dawn and now I lay my hopes with Hardwick.

Surely now we can put together a list and game plan that will finally ease our pain... :pray

Stripes

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
Re: A Fair Call (Examiner)
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 09:24:56 AM »
This is rubbish.

``I've witnessed Tiger people destroy pieces of Richmond-themed merchandise after losing games they were never going to win.
So.. wot, did someone go buy a RFC mug, watch the game then smash it in front of him after the game?  Did they tear up their scarf, jumper, collectible spoon, place mat?  Did they buy a Richo poster before the game and tear it up after the game ?  this guy is a liar!  Or is he talking bout kids with some plastic tigers poo from a richmond show bag ?  I witnessed some kids wreck their tigers kit after we lost lol  seriously???
stuffing Liar is all I can say.  He witnessed the need to conjure up a rubbish drama for his article.
Lots of people name their swords......