Author Topic: Humiliated then cleaned out, Richmond is fighting back (Herald-Sun)  (Read 864 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
I couldn't find this on the web so I scanned it in....

YEAR OF THE TIGER
Humiliated then cleaned out, Richmond is fighting back

By Mike Sheahan
SAT 13 FEB 2010, Page 048

Humiliated then cleaned out, Richmond is fighting back, writes Mike Sheahan

CHRIS Newman seemed to surprise even himself as he reflected on player turnover during his time at Punt Rd.

The Richmond skipper is just 27, yet no longer has a teammate who was at the club when he started at senior level in 2002.

A transition bordering on slashing and burning was completed after the 2009 season, when Joel Bowden, Mark Coughlan, Kayne Pettifer and Matthew Richardson all retired.

With them went Nathan Brown and Kane Johnson, who joined Richmond from elsewhere post-2002, plus Jay Schulz, a 2003 arrival. It's been a savage cull.

By contrast, Gary Ablett started at Geelong in 2002 and still has 13 teammates from that year.
For Newman, 2009 was exciting, testing, frustrating, disappointing and demoralising.

In his first year as captain, the Tigers tumbled to 15th after finals were part of pre-season expectations; they won just five games, and the coach's office had three different occupants from January to October.

Yet every new year brings renewed hope, and Richmond is no different despite its sorry recent history.

``The vibe's brilliant,'' Newman said this week. ``There's a different feeling this year. It's one of excitement.

``I'm just really anxious to get playing and put everything into place that we've been learning over the summer.''

Despite the club's implied promise to do the hard yards from here rather than be seduced yet again by the prospect of instant gratification, Newman is optimistic.

``I'm definitely really, really hungry to have some success at the club. My first year was 2001 when Richmond made the preliminary final. I never played a game that year, but I thought, as a young guy coming into the system, `This is going to be a really good ride and we're going to have a lot of success', and, 10 years down the track, it still hasn't come.

``At no stage this year have they (the administration) said, `This is going to take however many years to get right'; we're not putting any limitations on where we could go.

``(Coach) Damien (Hardwick) is putting something in place that he feels is going to bring us our 11th premiership and when that is, nobody knows.

``I really don't know where the future is going to take us, but I know we have the right people in place to be able to take us where we want to be.''

Newman said 2009 was disappointing to the point of humiliation and despair.

``There was such a big build-up and we just didn't deliver.

``I felt like it was the year we were going to stamp our mark on the competition, and we fell . . . well, short.

``Why? A lot of senior players probably didn't come to the table and play their role the way we should have.''

A subtle yet interesting switch mid-sentence from ``their'' to ``we''. As you would expect of a sensitive captain.

``We just didn't connect out on the field, turned the ball over a lot,'' Newman continued, an admission that won't surprise any Richmond supporter.

He recalled that fateful Round 1 engagement with Carlton as ``a bit of a kick in the guts . . . because of the build-up, we were really excited to get out there and play in front of a big crowd.

``It turned into one of the most humiliating losses I've been involved in.''

So, is it a case of a clean slate this year or, with another first-up game against the Blues, the thirst for retribution?

``Totally different playing group, totally different game style, totally different year. We'll have a different mindset.''

Newman promised a simpler game plan, a stronger emphasis on defensive pressure (i.e. when the opposition has the ball) and more efficient use of the ball (hopefully).

Predictably Newman is full of praise for Hardwick.

``Probably his work ethic is one thing that stands out. His drive and, I guess, his passion.

``He's really embraced the Richmond Football Club, the players and the people involved. You can see it in his eyes, the desire and that passion to get that 11th premiership.

``It's a really lovely thing and a warm thing to see.''

Hardwick has reminded Newman of their encounters on the field, when the coach played at Port Adelaide.

``I think he might have given me a clip now and then. There was no doubt I was probably scared of him (we think he meant ``respectful'', because Newman's courage never has been an issue) because he had that reputation, and that's probably something that he brings as well, that hard edge.''

NEWMAN ON ...

Richo
He was such a big presence round the club and obviously a big presence on-field.

"It was a real eye-opener for me when he left. For me to sit there and say I'm the last guy standing from when I first got here, which is a little bit disappointing. But it's just an indicator of how youthful we are.

"That's just the way it is in footy clubs. You lose some of your best mates every year.

"I actually haven't met anyone like Richo. He's got the right to get round like a rock star, but at no stage doeshe ever do that.

"He's always got time for theyoung blokes, the fans. On familyday, he will stay out an extra half-hour to sign autographs. It's somethingI admire."

Dustin Martin
All he wants to do is learn, andhe listens.

"He's got the skills that we need.He'll put his head over the footy no matter what the circumstance, and he's a really good decision-maker.

"I think he can play Round 1."

Ben Cousins
Ben's going really well. I think he's come out of himself a little bit more.

"When he first got to the club, he really wanted to prove to the guys he was worth taking a chance on. Now he's showing he's got so much to offer the group. So much more than I ever expected.

"He has a huge influence on the way we play. He'll ... ask me whether it's OK if he can address the boys at halftime or before the game, which I really respect and admire."

Jack Riewoldt
Jack's one of those influential-type players, a natural leader.He's one guy I'm really lookingforward to seeing play.

"He's had a really good pre-season; he's taken control of the forwardline. There's no reason he can'tcome out and have a really bigpresence as a centre half-forward.He's got a lot of natural abilityand his work rate has improvedout of sight."

Nathan Foley
He's battling a little bit (recovering from ankle surgery). It's really disappointing for him, he's a really influential player, a really good example for the young guys.

"He's one of those guys that does everything right and when he breaks down, it's a real downer because he doesn't deserve that. He deserves to be out there playing. Every night, he'll get up every two hours or whatever and ice his ankle.

"He's one of those players that can change the course ofa game, a really good clearance player."

Trent Cotchin
I'd like to see Trent have a consistent year - time on the ground, I mean.

"He's one of those guys, like a Nathan Foley, who really deserves to be out there and show his wares.

"Hopefully, he can get his bodyright. At the same time, he's soyoung we don't want to push himover the limit."

Justin Leppitsch (assistant coach)
He's brought a lot to the place.He's very concise and very sure about what he wants. He relays that well to the boys. He brings a certain vibrancy to the club. He's very upbeat and he'sgot that experience; he knows what it takes to win a premiership. Brendon Lade (another assistant with a premiership), too."
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 03:21:16 PM by one-eyed »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Coach breathes life into Tigers (Examiner)
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 05:23:05 AM »
A bit more from Newy in the Tassie Examiner....

Coach breathes life into Tigers
NAB Cup by Alex Fair BY
The Examiner
13 Feb, 2010

JUST like in his playing days, Richmond coach Damien Hardwick hasn't shirked an issue since taking over at Punt Road.

The tough half-back, who played his part in both Essendon's 2000 flag side and Port Adelaide's 2004 premiership unit, has overseen an overhaul of the Tigers' playing list, making 14 changes in his first few weeks in charge.

But the new environment has been a breath of fresh air for those remaining at Richmond, as skipper Chris Newman explained in the lead-up to tonight's NAB Cup encounter with Hawthorn.

"Damien's been really good for the group. He's settled in nicely - it would've been a really huge challenge to take on this role, but he hasn't shown this at all," Newman said.

"He's been really calculated and precise with the decisions that he's made and with his work ethic, and I think he's really doing a good job so far."

Newman said that it was a bit strange to have a coach with whom he would have crossed paths on the footy field, Hardwick having retired in 2004, Newman's fourth year in the game.

"I can't really remember when we played on each other, but I think we crossed paths a few times - I probably kept clear of him when were playing," he said.

"The relationship between myself and Damien is a good one. We're both really open and honest about the goings-on in the day-to-day at the club.

"We try to keep close tabs about everything that is going on from a player's end and from a coaching perspective as well."

Hardwick's success as a player would be a positive for his new club, according to his skipper.

"He's obviously had that experience with grand finals and playing in successful teams and I think it's very important for a coach to come in and bring a winning culture to the whole playing group," Newman said.

Twenty-seven-year-old Newman, who was recruited with pick 55 in the 2000 national draft, said last year was a tough initiation as captain of an AFL club, when the Tigers crashed to 15th with five wins.

"It was pretty tough and it was pretty frustrating - we obviously came off a big second half of the year before where we won eight out of 11 games and everything looked positive. But we obviously felt well short of what we expected and it was disappointing."

Newman said the young Tiger outfit was looking forward to its meeting with Hawthorn and would be fielding a strong side, despite missing Ben Cousins, Troy Simmonds, Nathan Foley and Daniel Jackson. "We've put a lot of things in place over summer with our game style," he said.

"There's a feeling of excitement that we can test ourselves and everything that we've put in place against a team that we know will be a quality outfit."

http://www.examiner.com.au/news/local/sport/general/coach-breathes-life-into-tigers/1750054.aspx?storypage=0

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Humiliated then cleaned out, Richmond is fighting back (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 07:39:16 PM »
The Richmond skipper is just 27, yet no longer has a teammate who was at the club when he started at senior level in 2002.

By contrast, Gary Ablett started at Geelong in 2002 and still has 13 teammates from that year.
Says it all about how poor our recruiting has been.

``At no stage this year have they (the administration) said, `This is going to take however many years to get right'; we're not putting any limitations on where we could go.

``(Coach) Damien (Hardwick) is putting something in place that he feels is going to bring us our 11th premiership and when that is, nobody knows.

``I really don't know where the future is going to take us, but I know we have the right people in place to be able to take us where we want to be.''
Yep as it should be. Not making false promises six months before the season starts and not overrating ourselves because we made finals as we did in 95 and 2001 and then just topping up with duds even though being flogged in September showed we were far away from being a genuine contender.

``A lot of senior players probably didn't come to the table and play their role the way we should have.''
Been that way for the past 3 decades :P

Nathan Foley
He's battling a little bit (recovering from ankle surgery). It's really disappointing for him, he's a really influential player, a really good example for the young guys.

"He's one of those guys that does everything right and when he breaks down, it's a real downer because he doesn't deserve that. He deserves to be out there playing. Every night, he'll get up every two hours or whatever and ice his ankle.
Doesn't sound too good news for Axel does it  :-\
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd