Author Topic: Shades of the Hawks in Richmond's game-style: Clarkson (Herald-Sun)  (Read 546 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Damien Hardwick does it hard in first NAB Cup match
    * James Bresnehan, Launceston
    * February 14, 2010 7:56PM

HAWTHORN coach Alastair Clarkson was not surprised to see shades of the Hawks in Richmond's game-style in thier NAB Cup clash at Aurora Stadium.

Clarkson expected rival coach Damien Hardwick to take the tactics learned at Hawthorn to his new role at Punt Rd but, on the evidence of their opening display, the Tigers have a long way to go.

The Hawk boss was even more pleased his players were able to counter-punch with a run-and-stun game that left the Tigers helpless and delivered Hawthorn a 73-point win.

"No doubt Richmond will play a similar brand to what we've played over the past couple of years," Clarkson said.

"Damien was influential in setting up some of the Hawthorn structures and no doubt he'll take them to Richmond. You'll see similar styles."

Like Clarkson in his early years, Hardwick's approach is bound to develop.

"He'll have to change over time because he'll realise the personnel he's got can either play to the game plan really well or he'll have to make tweaks, so it will slowly change," he said.

"I remember my first few hitouts at Hawthorn. We played a very similar brand to Port Adelaide, the side I just left.

"Damien had a pretty tough night, but he'll get the troops back together and get them going pretty soon."

Hawthorn's run through the midfield and defensive pressure set up an avalanche of scoring opportunities and at the same time starved Richmond.

"Our guys placed enormous pressure on their ball carriers and that caused them to not get their game going to the fluency that they would have liked and that's a credit to our guys."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/damien-hardwick-does-it-hard-in-first-nab-cup-match/story-e6frf9if-1225830246681

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Shades of the Hawks in Richmond's game-style: Clarkson (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 11:08:58 PM »
Our intencity for the first 15 minutes of the first qtr and during the last qtr was excellent. We were hunting in packs and really putting pressure on their ball carriers. It's just a pitty they couldn't keep it going the whole time, but thats youth for you. There was definitely a different game plan and it will just take a while for the players to get it down pat.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 11:18:33 PM »
If this gameplan is like high shcool (as compared to primary), then last night we got a lesson off the senior graduates.

"He'll have to change over time because he'll realise the personnel he's got can either play to the game plan really well or he'll have to make tweaks, so it will slowly change," he said.

This could very well be the key. It will be interesting to see if the style does change over time to adapt to the cattle.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 11:21:18 PM »
If this gameplan is like high shcool (as compared to primary), then last night we got a lesson off the senior graduates.

This could very well be the key. It will be interesting to see if the style does change over time to adapt to the cattle.

That was Wallace's down fall, he did not have the cattle to execute his game plan and he did not deviate from the game plan as he should of. Lets hope Hardwick does, I think he will.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

the claw

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 12:12:20 PM »

hard big bodies and good footskills/decision making is the lynch pins to clarkson and hawthorn. while on hawthorn lisle looked a likely type who may hold down chb for them or go forward.

look to hardwick in a short space of time only playing those who meet these criteria.

isnt it amazing the new kids all picked in the nd  because their skills are up to standard, all show they likely belong.it goes to show you cant teach basic skills to 18 19 yr olds or rarely.
development at the club has been lambasted but we have been asking people to turn sows ears into gold it doesnt happen.

any way i think they deserve some kudos for the latest crop of kids  even though im critical that we didnt take a few more talls.at least we are not attempting to fix skills they should already have.

to me the players with the best chance to carry out his plans are. but it will take time.

B/    Farmer      Thursfield/gourdis      Moore/grimes/dae.
hb/  tambling           post           webberley/newman/connors.
c/    collins             martin          cotchin
hf/   astbury           riewoldt       nason./nahas
f/      morton          griffiths        roberts/gilligan.  
r/    simmonds       deledio        cousins
int/  sheesh a ruckman well maybe a combo of vickery/polak/browne.   foley  jackson