Author Topic: Top 4 Draft Picks  (Read 3423 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Top 4 Draft Picks
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 10:10:01 PM »
at this very early stage Doc looks to be 12months ahead of the others, scully looks to be bloody small out there, if I was a dee I'd hope he isn't like that young Hawthorn player No 3 or 4 pick who has not got much bigger since draft day.

Xavier Ellis?

The Hawks nailed one draft (2004) and got Cyril at 13, but apart from that their drafting has been quite terrible.

Clarkson when he took over at the end of 2004 inherited a young core built from the previous 5 drafts. Schwab and Spud had similar coaching stints but Schwab didn't decimate Hawthorn's list. At that time we didn't realise this Hawk young core (most mids) was a decent group to build around.

Ellis was one of the Hawks best players in the GF before he went off injured. They also picked up Birchall at 14 and Gilham from Port as a rookie. At least they got a couple of decent players out of that draft despite taking a risk on some injured kids (Dowler, Bailey and Muston) which haven't paid off. Better than our 3 strike outs from just 3 picks  ::).
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

tony_montana

Re: Top 4 Draft Picks
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 10:32:57 PM »
at this very early stage Doc looks to be 12months ahead of the others, scully looks to be bloody small out there, if I was a dee I'd hope he isn't like that young Hawthorn player No 3 or 4 pick who has not got much bigger since draft day.

Xavier Ellis?

The Hawks nailed one draft (2004) and got Cyril at 13, but apart from that their drafting has been quite terrible.

Clarkson when he took over at the end of 2004 inherited a young core built from the previous 5 drafts. Schwab and Spud had similar coaching stints but Schwab didn't decimate Hawthorn's list. At that time we didn't realise this Hawk young core (most mids) was a decent group to build around.

Ellis was one of the Hawks best players in the GF before he went off injured. They also picked up Birchall at 14 and Gilham from Port as a rookie. At least they got a couple of decent players out of that draft despite taking a risk on some injured kids (Dowler, Bailey and Muston) which haven't paid off. Better than our 3 strike outs from just 3 picks  ::).

never ceases to amaze that we took 3 picks in TWO drafts whilst apparently rebuilding.  :banghead

Your first paragraph reminds me of the situation we are in now. Realistically, I think we now have a decent core of 10-12 solid/class players we can build around, the problem is the hawks got some good players in 04,05,06,07 to complete the rebuild, unfortunately for us we have uncompromised drafts coming up over the next several years which theoretically will hinder us following on in their footsteps.

We better cross our fingers, toes and every other part of our anatomies hoping that we absolutely aced the last draft as well as find some hidden/written off gems that will prosper under hardwick. (by this I mean 3-4 year players who look like they won't make and are onthe list by default but will 'miraculously' prosper under hardwick ::) playes like edwards, connors, thursfield, polo) yeah unlikely but tha's the type of goodfortune we're going torealistically need if we're going to be a consistent finals side in 3 years