Author Topic: Hardwick challenges core group (SMH)  (Read 1119 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hardwick challenges core group (SMH)
« on: March 24, 2010, 11:10:16 PM »
Richmond coach challenges core group
GUY HAND
March 24, 2010 - 8:19PM

New Richmond coach Damien Hardwick says the start of his reign should be judged on whether he can improve the Tigers players who were part of the failed Terry Wallace era.

Hardwick begins the difficult task of reassembling last year's 15th-placed club shorn of several senior players - including superstar forward Matthew Richardson - against Carlton in the AFL season-opener at the MCG on Thursday night.

Four players will make their Tigers debut including three first-gamers, while Ben Cousins has overcome a mystery stomach complaint which hospitalised him to prove his fitness.

But it is the second, third and fourth year players Hardwick has earmarked as those who need to improve for the Tigers to ensure no more wasted time at a club which has unsuccessfully frittered away three decades.

The ex-Port Adelaide and Hawthorn assistant believes the improvement of players like Jack Riewoldt and fringe dwellers Tom Hislop and Adam Thomson from their time under Wallace is how he and his new team of assistants should be initially judged.

"Those are the guys we're expecting to become better players, and that's the measure of our coaching as well," Hardwick said.

"If we can do that, we become a better side a hell of a lot quicker.

"We've put a lot of work into those guys over the summer.

"It's the emergence of players we need to come forward - Hislop, Thomson, (Daniel) Jackson, those type of players.

"The first round players - you're always excited to see them out there - but I'm not expecting a great deal from them.

"It's the emergence of (Jack) Riewoldt and those sorts of players that we're really looking forward to see how they go."

Impressive No.3 draft pick Dustin Martin will debut for Richmond, along with forwards Relton Roberts and Ben Nason.

Ex-Port utility Mitch Farmer will also make his Tigers debut in defence, while Hardwick confirmed Cousins as a starter.

"He's right to go. He's had four training sessions since his illness, and he's looked really good," Hardwick said.

"We're very happy with the way he's headed."

Carlton have handed club debuts to new recruits Brock McLean and Lachie Henderson, while ruckman Robert Warnock is slated for his first Blues appearance after missing all last year through injury.

Tigers fans will also farewell favourite son Richardson with a lap of honour prior to the match.

Richardson retired in the off-season after a 282-game, 800-goal career over 17 seasons.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/richmond-coach-challenges-core-group-20100324-qwmq.html

tony_montana

Re: Hardwick challenges core group (SMH)
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 11:17:06 PM »
like the cut of his jib, this is exactly what i said in the measure of success thread a week ago  :bow 

even if i do say so myself ;D

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 01:17:33 AM »
good to see his focused on helping our fringe players like hislop even though they could be on the chopping board end of season.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 10:02:46 AM »
I guess if you look back at the Hawks in 2005, guys like Ladson, Bateman, Osbourne and even Croad, were underperforming fringe type players. Clarkson turned them into important TEAM players, that's all we want from Hislop, Jackson, Thomson, Connors etc.

They get a role, do the role well and are reliable.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 11:54:33 AM by wayne »
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 12:41:24 AM »
Whereas the first gamers showed something it was a fail first up for most of the senior "core group" who Hardwick apparently challenged. McGuane, Moore, Jackson, Thomson, Nahas, Tambling, Newy, Cuz let the kids down. Too many passengers from senior players when they needed to stand up.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

TigerTimeII

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 12:47:03 AM »
Whereas the first gamers showed something it was a fail first up for most of the senior "core group" who Hardwick apparently challenged. McGuane, Moore, Jackson, Thomson, Nahas, Tambling, Newy, Cuz let the kids down. Too many passengers from senior players when they needed to stand up.

deledio only playing 1 good qtr is a let down too, but its rnd one, lets move on , we will get better

just gotta get rid of players that cant kick

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 12:48:35 AM »
the core group better lift after tonights efforts for the dogs next week or its going to be a much bigger loss then tonights.

TigerTimeII

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 12:54:53 AM »
i think newman should show leadership and step down as captain, its time cotchin was made captain

Ox

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 01:40:02 AM »
that stuffen deledio wanker.
supposed to be our judd but will never make the grade.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 08:37:09 AM »
that effen deledio wanker.
Come off it, he was still out best on the night, even getting tagged by #1 pick Gibbs in the 2nd half

TigerTimeII

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 09:39:00 AM »
that effen deledio wanker.
Come off it, he was still out best on the night, even getting tagged by #1 pick Gibbs in the 2nd half

he wasnt oor best on the night , had a great 2nd quarter, but thats it

what i dont understand is why dosnt deledio use his pace to take the game on, my feeling he lacks confidence in himself and the team
and needs a dose of richos ticker

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 10:11:54 AM »

Agree with you on most of those names MT, but not all. Biggest senior disappointments were Tambling, Nahas and Newman, and you can throw in Lids too. But I thought despite looking underdone, Cuz was okay. Not great, but good.
As for Jackson, yeah he butchered the ball a few times as he will. But he won his fair share of it too. They kept flashing the major ball-winners on the screen, and they were all Carlton players. This made me think they were doing it team by team, and I kept waiting for ours to go up  :lol (yeah,honestly.)
I twigged when Jackson's name went up as the solitary Richmond player in the top ten.