Author Topic: Tigers build from back: Hardwick (Herald-Sun)  (Read 762 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers build from back: Hardwick (Herald-Sun)
« on: March 25, 2010, 04:12:49 AM »
Tigers build from back

*  Bruce Matthews
  *  Herald Sun
  *  March 25, 2010

RICHMOND coach Damien Hardwick has warned the style of game tonight could be ugly as he tries to educate his players.

He didn't dismiss the prospect of using "winning ugly" tactics similar to those employed by Ross Lyon when he began at St Kilda.

"There is a possibility of that. I remember watching Ross when he took over in 2007 and the St Kilda side struggled early. I don't think they won a pre-season game," Hardwick said yesterday.

"It's all about basing your structure on defence and that's what we're about and build forward from that. There might be stages where it doesn't look pretty, but, believe me, they're learning about the way to play the game.

"The importance of (Will) Thursfield, (Luke) McGuane and (Kelvin) Moore. They've only played together once in the course of the pre-season campaign and we won that game. If we can develop those players as the cornerstone of the defence, it will sit well for the future.

"We know it's the start of a long process and our game plan will stay the same throughout the year. With a young group, if you swap and change, they lose confidence. We have to instil the belief it's a game plan that will stand the rigours of an AFL final."

The Tigers will introduce Dustin Martin, Relton Roberts, Ben Nason and Mitch Farmer against the Blues, but the progression of their second and third-year players will determine if they can rise up the ladder.

"Those are the guys we're hoping to become better players," Hardwick said.

"If we can do that, we'll become a better side a hell of a lot quicker.

"I reckon by 60 games you know where a player is at. They will either go on or fall away relatively quickly. It's the same with our young guys coming in, we've got to get as many games as we can into our under-22 players to set ourselves up for our 11th premiership."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/tigers-build-from-back/story-e6frf9ix-1225844968268

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Tigers build from back: Hardwick (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 11:21:48 AM »
So doesn't look like we will keep this game next year then by "winning ugly", I am not really looking forward to watching an ugly game either, particularly when it's our team that will cop the flack yet again. Demetrio (spelling) has already said that us and Carlton do not have this game locked in every year so I suppose after tonight that will be the end of it.

Anyway all part of the rebuilding I suppose... sigh.... ;D
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 12:50:02 PM »
Beats losing ugly.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 01:38:10 PM »
Does it mean Setanty O'tailspin is going to get a kick in the back of his scrotum everytime he launches for a mark or is DH playing Jedi mind tricks?....either way  ill be happy with the spectacle. :thumbsup 
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 05:11:37 PM »
I remember when we won ugly against the Crows, gee the flack that week, all up until the critics saw the logic behind the win.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 04:40:49 AM »
The backline is a major concern. McGuane gives his all but he just doesn't have the skill level and nouse to give you confidence he'll be around in the future when we are finally talking finals. Kel has had one good year (2008) in his whole time at the Punt Rd and another who is struggling. Thursty was decent last night but he doesn't have the size to be a No.1 KP defender. Overall we lack the necessary footskills and smarts in our back half and we don't as yet have any reliable ready-made replacements in our key defensive posts.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ramps

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 05:31:17 AM »
I no longer have any confidence that we have any key position defenders. In fact I have come to the point where I wouldnt mind off loading the 3 key position defenders in Moore Thursfield and McGuane- preferably in player for player swaps. Rance struggling as well. Looks like we need to find some players in a hurry!