Author Topic: We don't need picks: Newman (RFC)  (Read 1283 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
We don't need picks: Newman (RFC)
« on: May 06, 2010, 01:01:58 PM »
We don't need picks: Newman
richmondfc.com.au
By Luke Holmesby
Thu 06 May, 2010

RICHMOND captain Chris Newman says his club does not need priority picks to become competitive.

The Tigers sit winless at the bottom of the ladder after six rounds but no matter how badly they finish, they will not be given a draft pick higher than no. 4 because of concessions to the new Gold Coast team.

While wooden spooners traditionally receive the first draft choice and another early pick if they have performed poorly over a number of years, Newman said he accepted why the concessions were no longer as generous.

“I don’t believe we need any handouts from the AFL - it is what it is. It is what it is,” Newman said on Thursday morning.

"We believe we’ve got the group to be able to take us forward at the moment.

“We’re concentrating on developing the group we’ve got. We’ve got recruiters who can do the job and find the right mix we need. We’ve got absolute faith that we’ve got the crew we need at the moment.”

It has been reported that the Tigers may look at trading away draft picks for experienced players but Newman said the injection of youth was one of the positives of the year to date.

“If there’s one thing we can take out of the year it’s such a vibrant group because of the youth we’ve got. When you cop those big losses it helps with the morale throughout the week,” he said.

“I think there are experienced players there and it’s up to the club if they go for those players but I’m really confident with the group we’ve got.”

Richmond takes on the League’s only other winless team Adelaide, one week after a 108-point thumping from Geelong.

The Tigers were put through a tough training session on Tuesday partly as punishment for their poor showing against the Cats.

“We lost by over 100 points so we’re kidding ourselves if we think we’re just going to come out and have a light session,” he said.

“We let ourselves down with winning the hard ball and that is something we really pride ourselves on and [coach Damien Hardwick] is trying to implement into the group.

"It was a fair bit of punishment. It was a really gruelling session but I think we got a lot out of it”.

It was a lighter session at Victoria Park on Thursday morning, with midfielder Trent Cotchin doing modified training as he looks to return from a hip injury.

Newman said Cotchin and Dustin Martin could be a chance to return for the Crows game.

“They’ve trained OK throughout the week but I’m not sure on selection. We’ve made a few changes so we’re trying to give everyone an opportunity who deserves it,” he said.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/93727/default.aspx

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
Re: We don't need picks: Newman (RFC)
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 01:19:22 PM »
YES WE DO  - We just need fair compensation that the other cheating prix have received over the last few years.
Getting totally ripped bottoming out now  :banghead
My new most hated sides will be GC & GWS because the AFL are gunna throw everything at them to make sure they're successful ahead of traditional clubs such as us. Yes ahead of the skunks  ??? :shh
If Richmond folded I would give up on the AFL in a heartbeat. :banghead

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 01:27:21 PM »
YES WE DO  - We just need fair compensation that the other cheating prix have received over the last few years.
Getting totally ripped bottoming out now 

It is our own fault for winning games and drafting mid age/mature players early under Wallace instead of tanking like Collingwood, Carlton, Melbourne etc.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 01:34:56 PM »
Yes we do Chris but unfortunately we aren't going to get them.

Ox

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 01:44:11 PM »
ridiculous statement

Offline HD

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 03:52:36 PM »
ridiculous statement

What is he supposed to say - "Geez we definitely need some priority picks or concessions in the next draft or we are stuffed!!" - Yeah, that's the sort of public statement we need from the captain. At least Newman's statement show solidarity at the club from the CEO, through the footy department and into the playing list

Ramps

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 03:56:39 PM »
that newman is the captain of our club is a joke in itself, if we had any brains we'd off load him at the end of the season, he aint a leader, he cant play in the middle ... hes just another dime a dozen half back flanker. TRADE!

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 06:55:27 PM »
We'd want a good deal for him though, something that would perhaps bring a ruckman in his early 20's.

Could see him possibly being traded.

You wonder how Newmans meeting with Wallace sits in Hardwicks mind?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Ox

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 07:19:01 PM »
ridiculous statement

What is he supposed to say - "Geez we definitely need some priority picks or concessions in the next draft or we are stuffed!!" - Yeah, that's the sort of public statement we need from the captain. At least Newman's statement show solidarity at the club from the CEO, through the footy department and into the playing list

Only an idiot would say that.
Even Bomber Thompson would love priority picks.
I don't really understand how you could empathize on this issue.
It makes Newman look like he's clueless to the fact he is captain of the worst team in the history of the club.
Even a comment with a hint of discontent toward the afl would have been tasteful...but noooooo....he says we don't need picks.
Completely unprofessional and a needless show of futile leadership.

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 07:28:33 PM »
We might need them but hell will freeze over b4 they give us a break

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 07:31:19 PM »
of course we don't need the AFL's pity, we aint no beggars, Benny would spit on the ground vlad trod before accepting charity. we'll fight like the devil to restore this proud club back to it's glory and those PP well they can go where the sun don't shine, coz they aint welcome around here :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

tony_montana

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 07:55:45 PM »
of course we don't need the AFL's pity, we aint no beggars, Benny would spit on the ground vlad trod before accepting charity. we'll fight like the devil to restore this proud club back to it's glory and those PP well they can go where the sun don't shine, coz they aint welcome around here :shh
huh? the PP isnt asking for compensation, nothing wrong wth getting a PP! going to the AFL and asking for another pick on top of a PP s wrong.

Newman should stfu has nfi

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 08:27:55 PM »
huh? the PP isnt asking for compensation, nothing wrong wth getting a PP! going to the AFL and asking for another pick on top of a PP s wrong.

Newman should stfu has nfi

Exactly whats abit of futile bravery going to achieve now.

It's like getting your head kicked in at lunchtime at school for dobbing in the other kids for laughing and fooling around in class only in your clueless tears you mumble and stumble to your assailant and say I don't care I'll dob you in again tomorrow. Futility and stupidity at its best. Please can someone at the club gag Newman and maybe get Trent Brett Jacko or Dustin to talk.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 08:30:27 PM »
Unbelievable some on here!!!!

Can anyone point out where Newman said he doesn't think we need priority picks?  That was the journo that said that you knee-jerk Chicken Littles.  Newman's quote was “I don’t believe we need any handouts from the AFL - it is what it is. It is what it is,”.  Nothing to do with priority picks - all to do with extra picks, handouts, charity.  And if you don't have enough pride in yourselves as individuals or a club to stop yourself from running crying to the AFL for help in a situation that you were 100% responsible in creating then all I can say is thank goodness none of you are in charge at the club.  Come to think of it - thank goodness none of you have my back in a crisis either.

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 08:49:28 PM »
Lol that was funny Smokey