Author Topic: How Melbourne tanked against us in 2009 (Herald-Sun)  (Read 2039 times)

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: How Melbourne tanked against us in 2009 (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2011, 04:59:16 PM »
"Despite all the measures that Melbourne undertook to ensure a loss, Richmond were so bad they only managed to sneak a win after the siren. If ever there was a team who through their continued hopelessness needed to be helped with priority picks, and lots of them it's the Tigers. Funny how we always seem to miss out" Good call RR

Ox

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2011, 05:15:17 PM »
we so poo :scream
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 05:51:51 PM by one-eyed »

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2011, 05:26:49 PM »
This also is self inflicted though ppl.
We had 5 picks in the top 20 in 2004 and our 2005 picks weren't that good either. (Other than Lids).
It's one thing to be poor on field and another when you put yourself in a position to make a selection and you scuff it as we did during the Frawley/Miller/Beck/Wallace time at the club. The fact that McMahon kicked that goal suggests two things either we were not educated on the tank hence Rawlings went after the meaningless wins, which is an issue to take up with CC or we genuinely went out to win as most clubs do and lo and behold we got a win we barely deserved and hence was tarnished by Bailey's admission of shifting players which also suggests that players go and do their best its off field staff who manipulate the on field success in cases such as these.
Our position currently is only due to our poorly resourced and undermanned footy dept as well as our ineptitude in realising what the draft is all about and undervaluing its importance until recently.
We are paying for our sins and only now that it has become fodder with Bailey's so called cryptic confession do we as a club want some sort of retribution or change, whilst I feel change will be fair lets say offer monetary incentives to clubs finishing outside the top 8 where clubs with little finance or debt like Naught, Doggies and such can benefit from the cash boost and help them retain a star kid and notlured by these new plastic franchises.
Furthermore a lottery system based on the bottom 8 and wins can be set up thus ensuring that a club that finished in no mans land lets say 11-14 aren't guaranteed a pick 3 or 4 .
Yep some things like the Mercenary's Visy Deal are more obvious and need to be addressed also but we also need to be more "savvy" whilst the current system is in place to ensure we get the best for our team in the same way a CEO or any small business owner would do with their accountants to pay as little tax as also.
It is gullible to expect honesty in everyday life and then demand it from a sporting code/organisation when success and money is involved.
Unfortunantely this corruption is the by product of the society created in footy where bums on seats is more important than ethos and tradition except for when the Collingwood guernsey is concerned and corporatisation by faceless fat cats has reached the point where week to week footy fans like most of us on here are being forced by our clubs to upgrade our memberships in the off chance we get to a GF so that we don't miss out.
We need strong people with footy acumen at the club to address this rather than people who flutter from weak club to weak club to prolong a well paid but stagnant career. ie Craig Cameron.
Priority picks reward ineptitude on field not stupidity in terms of poor selections and not adapting to the draft and treating it with disdain and topping up. Whilst a priority pick to our picks would be nice our stupidity and inability will not and should not be rewarded and hence the problem of having poor coaches and footy department people in our recent history will haunt us for a few years yet.

gerkin greg

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2011, 05:48:19 PM »
That's the problem when you appoint a caretaker coach that want the full time position.

Rawlings wanted to win.

Which makes Craig Cameron even more the effwit.

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2011, 06:56:23 PM »
Tucker you say that we have undervalued the draft until recently.
I understand the point you're making but we still haven't grasped the importance of the draft when you look at the latest selections in the rookie draft.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2011, 08:47:18 PM »
That's the problem when you appoint a caretaker coach that want the full time position.

Rawlings wanted to win.

Not fair there gerks, did as he was told to do by the Club
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2011, 08:48:02 PM »
I was given tickets to that game in the Melbourne members and they were cheering for us all day and rapt when the goal went through.

That was bit off-putting, but I still say if the players are trying their best then anything else doesn't really matter.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Offline TigerTimTam

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2011, 09:50:22 PM »
We tanked in a previous year to Melbourne. Only problem we were out tanked by the masters of tanking Carlscum. Not sure people in glasshouses should throw stones.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2011, 08:10:39 AM »

Rawlings wanted to win.

Not fair there gerks, did as he was told to do by the Club

At the time I was adamant that Wallet should be made to coach the year out as untenable as it was.
We were crap largely because of him. He needed to wear the shame & we needed the draft picks as a result of his incompetence.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2011, 10:59:38 PM »
Browny was interviewed on the footy show tonight and said he first had suspicions about what Melbourne were up to that day (round 18, 2009) when big Paul Johnson lined up on him. Browny said it was embarrassing for both clubs - for us are we only won by two points and for Melbourne as their players would've known what was happening. He thinks from memory we didn't sing the song after the game. Jade Rawlings apparently ripped into the players that they shouldn't be proud of that win as Melbourne were trying to lose.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2011, 09:43:31 AM »
We tanked in a previous year to Melbourne. Only problem we were out tanked by the masters of tanking Carlscum. Not sure people in glasshouses should throw stones.
I don't recall this.  I just recall us being crap all year and getting whipped, not players being played out of position or players deliberately throwing games.
Lots of people name their swords......