Author Topic: Sheeds: "Hands Off Our Boys"  (Read 884 times)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
Sheeds: "Hands Off Our Boys"
« on: May 15, 2010, 11:29:04 PM »
Sheed's has dead set lost his mind. How many times do you want to contradict yourself in one article?

Hands off our boys

Kevin Sheedy From: Sunday Herald Sun May 15, 2010 11:00PM

Some AFL clubs are telling our players - our 17-year-olds - not to sign with Greater Western Sydney.

Basically they're kicking the baby while it's in the cot and that is disgraceful.

Is Sheeds right to take the fight to the Victorian clubs?  Add your comment below.

Considering the AFL has asked us to form a club, it's pretty pathetic by some of these people.

And we know who they are. But we're prepared to fight for every player we can get and we have legitimate access to these teenagers in our under-18 team.

The Victorian clubs sent poor players up to the Brisbane Bears and now they're trying to do it with GWS.

And some of them haven't got it right for 30 years.

Richmond, for instance, has consistently failed with its recruiting - and you only need to look at the rookie draft for proof. Good players such as Aaron Joseph, Shane Mumford, Greg Broughton and Alex Silvagni have all been chosen with picks after the Tigers.

In 2008 they chose Clayton Collard, Jarrod Silvester and Tristan Cartledge in the same draft. In 2007, the Tigers chose Tasman Clingan with pick eight ahead of Clint Jones and Sharrod Wellingham.

And why weren't they looking at Michael Barlow or James Podsiadly?

Richmond hasn't done any better since it sacked Kevin Bartlett as coach in 1991.

The Tigers have had chance after chance and now we as a new team want to put our hand up and show some excitement by looking at someone changing codes and people come out and rubbish that.

Bartlett, Leigh Matthews and Jason Akermanis have all voiced concerns about GWS potentially recruiting Israel Folau. Their stance amazes me given we're trying to build a new club. It's disappointing they aren't adopting a holistic picture of talent.

When Matthews went north to Brisbane he took charge of a merged footy club. There's a big difference between that and starting one from scratch.

Akermanis was fortunate to play in three premierships with this club. Everyone's entitled to an opinion, but be careful.

The Swans worked their backsides off for a quarter of a century but they also had a relocated team.

I don't know what offer was made, because I don't handle contracts. But if any player wants to play in the AFL we should listen to them.

It's important to remember some great rugby league and soccer players have come from Sydney's west. Harry Kewell, Mark Schwarzer, Tim Cahill, Brett Emerton and Jason Culina have all learned their trade in our area and have been selected in Australia's World Cup squad. We sometimes forget the ruckman for Sydney yesterday was a guy called Mike Pyke who played rugby union for Canada.

So I just say: Get a life, for God's sake.

The world is changing. We've got a tough gig and if you want to keep hitting the baby in the cot there'll be retribution somewhere along the line.

If you are a player who doesn't think your club is going anywhere - don't sign with your club. Give us first choice.

There'll be some guys in the AFL who'll never play in a premiership because clubs haven't got it right for decades.

We'll have an opportunity to bring players together who want excitement and success.

And we could achieve it well before people expect. The landscape has been drawn between the Gold Coast and West Sydney. There's skulduggery going on behind closed doors and it's pretty average for clubs to be saying, "Don't sign with GWS".

So these clubs can't whinge when they start losing players.

We won't be taking crap from clubs who have been around for 100 years and done nothing. They're kidding themselves.

The best form of defence is attack, as Saints coach Ross Lyon said this week.

We'll be a force and we're happy to force clubs to breaking point with their salary cap.

We will eventually build a strong team because we are an attractive prospect.

And Sydney is a pretty good place to live. If you keep kicking the baby, the young cub will grow up very wild.
Go Tigers!

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
Re: Sheeds: "Hands Off Our Boys"
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 11:33:19 PM »
Kevin you're going insane...

What your whinging about is exactly what your doing to 16 other clubs you old goose. Goodness me.

Keeping throwing your cash around to young kids for selfish hopeless gain.

Integrity is diminishing by the day Kevin.
Go Tigers!

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 02:04:20 AM »
Why does he have to single out Richmond?  Get a life you old tosser.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 03:08:58 AM »
He really must hate Richmond now
Must be due to the comments taken out of context about Sheedy not being coach while March was in charge

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 06:15:50 AM »
Reads to me like look out he is going for our players regardless of our situation....
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 07:56:31 AM »
What has Richmond's recruiting got to do with telling players not to go? If we have been so poor at recruiting then why in the hell would you want our players anyway?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 10:01:01 PM »
From Sheedy's live chat on the Herald-Sun website

Is Richmond on the right track?

Sheedy: "I am happy with Ben Gale’s appointment, and Hardwick too. They have to do their time. You will find they
will get on a highway and not wobble too far off it, which is what they have in the last decade or so.
The difficulty will be 2011-21 drafts going to the Gold Coast and GWS, but they will still be able to draft.
The rules are set in place already, and there is a Melbourne newspaper trying to gain them draft concessions to favour the Tigers, the only way you could do it is pick 4 and pick 6 could go to Richmond. It could be a way, but maybe the AFL won’t let them do it.
Maybe Ben Gale doesn’t want them to either. The other clubs might go against it too. But that could be a solution.
Picks 4 and 6 are guys like Ryder, and or Selwood. That’s what they need."

How have you seen Carl Peterson’s rise?

Sheedy: It’s frustrationg when you are an ex-Tiger and yous ee these guys playing at other clubs. His two goals probably helped Hawthorn over the line against Richmond.
He was beating his previous club. Obviously there would be reasons they let him go, but they let him go. I don’t know if he just walked out or got cut like Kepler Bradley.
Now watching Bradley, he has been one of the better players last week. Things happen in players’ careers. Richmond got nothing for him.
Peterson will be a good solid little player, but he’s no Rioli.’’

Dustin martin to GWS sheeds....hmmm?

Sheeds: "With Dustin Martin, everyone keeps telling me we are after him. We will be told by a lot of people, what about this player, or that player. The more conjecture there is about players, the more you upset them.
The real reason we will hit clubs or talk to their players, is they are telling our kids not to sign to GWS. When I draw that list up and I come after the players from certain clubs, they will know the reason why. Welcome to what we all know is a war off the field with regards to recruiting. They will know we are coming. "

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/live-chat-with-kevin-sheedy/story-e6frf9ox-1225869089020

Offline tiger till i die

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 10:12:32 PM »
From Sheedy's live chat on the Herald-Sun website

Is Richmond on the right track?

Sheedy: "I am happy with Ben Gale’s appointment, and Hardwick too. They have to do their time. You will find they
will get on a highway and not wobble too far off it, which is what they have in the last decade or so.
The difficulty will be 2011-21 drafts going to the Gold Coast and GWS, but they will still be able to draft.
The rules are set in place already, and there is a Melbourne newspaper trying to gain them draft concessions to favour the Tigers, the only way you could do it is pick 4 and pick 6 could go to Richmond. It could be a way, but maybe the AFL won’t let them do it.
Maybe Ben Gale doesn’t want them to either. The other clubs might go against it too. But that could be a solution.
Picks 4 and 6 are guys like Ryder, and or Selwood. That’s what they need."

How have you seen Carl Peterson’s rise?

Sheedy: It’s frustrationg when you are an ex-Tiger and yous ee these guys playing at other clubs. His two goals probably helped Hawthorn over the line against Richmond.
He was beating his previous club. Obviously there would be reasons they let him go, but they let him go. I don’t know if he just walked out or got cut like Kepler Bradley.
Now watching Bradley, he has been one of the better players last week. Things happen in players’ careers. Richmond got nothing for him.
Peterson will be a good solid little player, but he’s no Rioli.’’

Dustin martin to GWS sheeds....hmmm?

Sheeds: "With Dustin Martin, everyone keeps telling me we are after him. We will be told by a lot of people, what about this player, or that player. The more conjecture there is about players, the more you upset them.
The real reason we will hit clubs or talk to their players, is they are telling our kids not to sign to GWS. When I draw that list up and I come after the players from certain clubs, they will know the reason why. Welcome to what we all know is a war off the field with regards to recruiting. They will know we are coming. "

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/live-chat-with-kevin-sheedy/story-e6frf9ox-1225869089020

Good luck to you mate Richmond will destroy any hopes of you getting a golden boys and will match you for money .. Plus who the eff wants to be apart of GWS will will probably never see a Premiership cause we will be taking those ;)

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 10:14:57 PM »
Ok Sheeds, we know you are the master at mind games.... :thumbsup. But Sheeds Martin will re-sign with us and Peterson will fade out, wow one half decent game against a side that is yet to win... yes us, so will JON at the Eagles fade out, not that he has started. Our only real loss IMO to date is Rodan, Ottens of course but that was not our decision.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"