Author Topic: Cousins Unmasked - Herald Sun Saturday  (Read 1482 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Cousins Unmasked - Herald Sun Saturday
« on: November 12, 2010, 06:21:56 AM »
The Herald-Sun tomorrow (Saturday) will also have a one-on-one interview with Cuz

Cousins unmasked Sneak peek: Patrick Carlyon reveals details of his exclusive interview with Ben Cousins, out Saturday

Carlyon - "In the Herald Sun tomorrow is an exclusive interview with Cousins where he talks about 5 day drug binges, insincere apologies and how he is still caught in the grip of his addiction."

http://video.heraldsun.com.au/1640358781/Cousins-unmasked
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 06:59:45 AM by one-eyed »

Offline Jacosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • No bish fish, the moon wasnt right.
Re: Cousins Unmasked - Herald Sun Saturday
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 07:31:44 PM »
Sensationalised bos primigenius manure.

heard it, watched it, seen and heard the criticism.  Why drag it all up again  :chuck

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
The real Cousins unmasked (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 04:17:35 AM »
The real Cousins unmasked
Patrick Carlyon
Herald Sun
November 12, 2010 6:34PM

Video:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/national/the-real-cousins-unmasked/story-e6frf7l6-1225952839167

DRUG addicts don't normally boast the deep tan and designer clobber of the bloke in front of you.

They don't talk about the 6km run they itch to tackle as soon as the interview has ended.

Their stubble isn't crafted.

The white of their teeth doesn't offset the green of their eyes.

They do not stand to be confused with models lifted from the set of an aftershave commercial.

This drug addict does.

Ben Cousins wants you to know he's just a "normal bloke with flaws".

He speaks of business "opportunities" away from the football world.

He wants out of the footy fishbowl, at least for a spell.

He loves living in Melbourne, which isn't claustrophobic like Perth.

There may be a new romance, although, as with the opportunities, he's not gushing with details.

Life's pretty good, he declares, gazing over the boats on Perth's Swan River from the second storey of his parents' home.

It became simpler once he grasped and accepted he had an extreme drug problem.

At least, finally, life could be something more than a smoke and mirrors act.

Yet there is a catch.

It dates back to the age of 17, when he took two ecstasy pills, and stared at the stars, and decided that drugs were terrific.

Part of Cousins still thinks they are.

The spectre of his well documented addiction has not dimmed.

Drugs remain at the nexus of his thinking, 15 years after he sat on a kerb and first marvelled at chemical euphoria.

All indications suggest they will for some time yet.

He remains vulnerable, he says.

His illness demands "permanent vigilance".

His family, it seems, believe Cousins faces many challenges before his emotional attachment to drugs will be confined to the past.

He cannot say for certain that he will not relapse.

If only the psychology of his addiction was that simple, he says.

He readily offers up this admission.

Other mysteries, such as the number of days or weeks or months he has been clean, are not for public airing.

He doesn't need strangers keeping count for him.

And the rumours - such as the whisper about his supposed demise just last Sunday - will perpetuate whether he is sober or not.

Yet Cousins does describe the train wreck he was. The lies to protect his habit. The plots intrinsic to the pursuit of his diabolical lifestyle.

For 12 years, Cousins smashed his body with illicit chemicals whenever he could get away with it - and sometimes when he could not.

It's the first obvious paradox, and just one of many seemingly illogical intrigues that swirl around the sportsman who prided himself on being fitter than any opponent.

The second paradox is more subtle.

Cousins refuses to disown all aspects of his drug-fuelled past, despite its ravages, even though he knows the public might expect him to.

He ventures to say that simplistic slogans, such as "drugs are bad", can be unhelpful when young people first encounter drugs.

He says his own drug experiences nurtured some good amid the overwhelming bad.

"Never once do you hear growing up, especially when you're pretty young, that there are actually some things about drug use that people get a lot out of," he says.

Cousins' view is shaped by his own anti-drugs stance as a child.

He tried pot at about 13 and didn't like it.

Yet the heavier stuff featured in his thinking from the time he donned West Coast Eagles colours, all clear eyes and cheeky grin at 17.

This contradiction - the clean look and the dirty habit - has not faded.

"It's never far from my mind, unfortunately," Cousins says of using drugs.

"That's the nature of where I'm at and that may change going forward ... (although) I think the fear of not using, and the fear of the future without drugs, is not quite as daunting as it has been in the past."

Cousins has never before offered such a raw insight into his drug preoccupation.

Throughout his career, as hints of his double life became more and more pronounced, he hid behind that smirk.

What others saw as smugness, he describes as his "nervous twitch".

He turned on the smirk when, high from a full day of smoking crack or ice pipes, he turned up at the airport for his 2007 trip to LA and rehab.

It wasn't far away when he apologised for his drug-addled behaviour in a television statement, a gesture he now dismisses as patent insincerity.

The smirk lurked when he turned up for an AFL hair drug test with a marine-style crewcut to erase the evidence of drug use in the months beforehand.

It was always there when he disembarked from the plane after interstate matches, abuzz in red wine and Valium, and routinely stumbled through the airport like a drunken Thunderbird.

Today, Cousins has put the smirk away.

He has no need for it.

He doesn't want to hide all things any more.

He jiggles like a tea bag at the dining room table.

He strums the table top with his fingers and looks at his phone a lot. Cousins was always a kid who couldn't keep still.

He yawns and sighs. He lapses into slang asides and can go vague when a question doesn't appear to interest him. Yet his answers are mostly generous and considered.

Cousins is willing to field questions about five-day binges and the time he nearly choked on his own vomit after passing out from heavy use of methamphetamine.

He will spell out how he lost his dignity and his mind - like the time he was convinced the police were tracking him through his television set.

He is ready to out not a spoilt brat who went too far, but instead the junkie he grew up to become.

"It was madness, what I did - madness," he says. "As you get older, you understand the fragility of life, and I was playing Russian roulette.

"I am the luckiest person I know. I could have been locked up. I could have overdosed."

Cousins may not qualify as a sympathetic figure.

He's never been forthcoming enough for that, not until now, anyway.

But his story is a sad one.

It's difficult to identify a single moment that best captures the Cousins saga.

His new book, Ben Cousins: My Life Story, offers a score of terrible tales.

Any one of them, in isolation, would have prompted front page headlines and public hand-wringing.

In the book, Cousins talks about the weird symbiosis of drugs and football, the training and "getting on" drugs, that were equally fed by a singular obsession that he says stems back to childhood.

The reward for training hard was the drug session, sometimes spilling into next week.

The damage of such drug sessions, in turn, motivated him to train hard for the coming game.

It's a rationalisation - what he calls a "go hard, don't hesitate" mentality - that may defy the imagination of those people unfamiliar with the extremes of addictive psychology.

Somehow, Cousins blended both pursuits for more than a decade.

He even embraced the constant battle against anxiety and paranoia - caused by the residue of chemicals in his system - as part of his unusual program.

He argues his drug use never jeopardised his on-field talent, even though he admits his close friends were baffled by his unerring ability to play well.

He never used performance-enhancing drugs, he says, besides the caffeine and Sudafed hits that many players once employed.

Cousins claims that football was always his first priority.

Yet by the time the Eagles suspended him indefinitely at the start of 2007, having just played two best-on-ground performances in pre-season matches, his need to get out of it had snuffed his thrill of the game.

Cousins had just played the two best years of his career. His silken hands, and that instinct for being where the ball landed, earned him a Brownlow Medal in 2005. The Eagles won the flag the next year.Cousins floated as a football star of a generation.

Yet his public rise reverse-mirrored his private descent.

By 2007, Cousins' support mechanisms had, understandably, begun to dissolve.

His girlfriend, Samantha, would leave him. His parents and family agonised when he went missing for days on end.

The smirk that had shielded him from scrutiny was not enough to combat the emerging glimpses of his drug-fuelled reality.

Cousins deceived people as all addicts do. He was also lying to himself. "The intensity of it, the juggling, you get addicted to that," he says.

"You probably don't realise until you are actually removed from it, and you sit down and take a couple of deep breaths, and you go 'F---, that was hard work'."

For years, Cousins had hunched up to coffee tables, alongside drug-using mates, barely moving except to rack up another line of cocaine or pack another ice pipe. He wouldn't sleep for days.

If mates dropped off, exhausted, he would badger other mates to join him. Cousins prided himself on being an endurance player.

These excesses were contained to after matches, or at the end of year when he would indulge a two or three-month twister.

Yet after the 2006 grand final win, the self-imposed controls had frayed.

The previous Christmas Day, his mother had busted Cousins smoking an ice pipe down the side of the house.

At the lunch table, his eyes had rolled back in his head.

He had embraced the scary rush of crystal methamphetamine, which offered him manic efficiency, energy and, he says, clarity - until the wiring of his brain started to break down.

This was usually four days or more into a binge.

In early 2006, the public got a hint of his troubles.

Cousins ran away from his Mercedes, leaving Samantha and others in the car, when confronted with a late-night booze bus in Perth.

He jumped fences, scaled roofs, scampered through back yards and dived into the Swan River.

He tried to cover it up, but would lose the Eagles captaincy.

His father Bryan had seen enough. In coming months, Bryan would trawl pubs and nightclubs late at night to drag Cousins home before he hurt himself.

Sometimes, Cousins would wait until his father drove away, and return to where he had been.

Cousins says he abstained for months before the 2006 grand final.

After the win, Cousins spent sleepless nights on his Perth balcony, listening to music and smoking pipes of crack cocaine.

Why didn't he stop?

"I turned them into positives," he says now of his escalating issues.

"They became the motivational force behind training hard and tightening all the screws and getting back to playing better footy than I ever have."

Did he realise he was falling? "Maybe subconsciously."

Yet the ritualised bravado of his football approach also applied to his drug use.

Cousins told himself to throw out his chest, to go hard, and to go fast.

To hesitate was to be weak.

His 2006 form appeared to have temporarily lent him an untouchable air. As far as he knows, he never officially tested positive in an AFL drugs test (he was well drilled in the technicalities of drug detection).

But surely people must have known?

"I think it was the worst-kept secret in footy," he says.

"I think the AFL knew. I think everyone knew."

Cousins argues his circumstances were unusual. No club or league had faced problems such as his in the past.

His twister took him to Sydney where, in one drug session shared with a Penthouse pet, a fellow user fired a gun for fun.

Cousins continued to use drugs in the 2007 pre-season. He turned up to training haggard, then missed a morning session.

Perhaps it was this moment that best sums up the Cousins' trajectory.

He was in a chemical haze when coach John Worsfold called him in. He was suspended.

Cousins bumbled out and quietly rejoiced.

In under an hour, he figured, he could again be out of it on drugs.

He went hard, too, spreading his time between strip joints and a recording studio where no one would find him.

He watched his father's public appeal to him on the TV news - while smoking crack cocaine.

The plea didn't slow him down.

Even then, Cousins tried to rationalise his behaviour as that of a larrikin on the tear.

It wasn't until he was bundled off to rehab, against his will, that he grasped the significance of the problem. Until then, he believed he'd hurt no one bar himself.

Cousins has relapsed many times since his rehab stay in Malibu.

But the four-week stint did shift his thinking.

He arrived off his face.

He was there only because he was told he wanted to be - if he hoped to play football again.

"For such a heavy drug user, I was very naive when it came to the concept of addiction," he says.

"I had been so functional. I was holding down everything. Then it just unravelled very quickly.

"But I was probably living with the condition for years."

He learned to accept the label of addict, which he had for so long rejected.

"I have friends of mine saying, 'I hate you using the word addict about yourself.'

"(But) it saves my dancing around the subject and I think the way we use words like addict will only become far more prevalent and less frowned upon."

Cousins was diagnosed with ADHD  - though he argues that every second person seems to get lumped with the condition.

More importantly, he learned to face up to self-delusion that fostered the extreme lengths of his drug-taking.

He confronted his illness. "A lot of the time, it's about being honest with yourself," he says.

"Sometimes you can bulls--- yourself and when you do that and you don't really know you're doing it to yourself, life can come along and give a little slap."

Rehab may have quashed the sense of carefree abandonment that accompanied Cousins' drug taking.

It slowed his spiral, certainly. But it didn't stop him taking drugs.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 04:18:39 AM »
Cousins returned to Australia and made the apology he didn't want to make.

At the time, he felt no obligation to explain himself to the public.

He describes a reality where yesterday merged into tomorrow. He craved space. He resented clamour.

"It probably would have made my life easier if I'd come out and shed a tear and apologised and told everyone I was never going to do it again and that I'm a changed person, and that I'm going to start counselling young people now and all that," he says.

"But it doesn't work like that, unfortunately."

Cousins persevered with his potted recovery, got back into the Eagles team, and gathered 38 possessions in his comeback game.

He says he had gone about six months sober when his mentor, friend and former teammate Chris Mainwaring overdosed.

Cousins was with Mainwaring hours before he died.

The media joined dots that Cousins stridently maintains did not exist.

He was a pall bearer at Mainwaring's funeral.

The grief he felt, paired with the manner of Mainwaring's death, stood to steer Cousins in one of two opposite paths.

It was only after Mainwaring died, Cousins says, that he resumed smashing drugs again.

Ironically, when Cousins was pulled over by police soon afterwards, and plastered over the airwaves shirtless and looking sheepish, it was the first time in five days he was not carrying a large quantity of illicit drugs.

Cousins was sacked from the Eagles.

His bender stretched to LA, where he ingested cocaine every 20 minutes or so for five days.

After a while, he ate it instead of snorting it.

This prompted the 911 emergency call, when a female companion explained that Cousins was suffering a drug-induced psychosis.

In hospital, confused and distressed, he tried to escape by throwing himself at a window.

He returned to Australia, was deregistered by the AFL, then headed to the Gold Coast for more drugs.

In Sydney, he was holed up for days watching a man called The Chef cook cocaine powder into crack cocaine.

He kept passing out on another drug, GBH.

A mate turned Cousins on his side when he was choking on vomit.

Between odd bouts of sobriety, the drug use continued back in Perth, then Melbourne.

Spare time was his enemy, he says in his book.

He would move from house to house around Perth, using drugs and moving on each time his latest host tired of his stay.

"For a long time there, I lived like a gypsy," he tells the Herald Sun.

"It was a pretty tough time for me.

"I lost a lot of grounding, I'd exhausted my parents' place and various friends.

"I couldn't look too far ahead because I didn't know what my future held."

He had wearied of the drugs.

Yet the fear of going without them consumed him more than the fear of where bingeing would lead.

He felt like a host for what the drugs dictated.

The addiction felt bigger than him.

In home rehab, Cousins kept using drugs, despite the vigil of family members outside his bedroom door to ensure he didn't go and get more.

This led to the well known scenario of his father - in a protracted compromise of desperation - going with his son to score drugs late at night.

Cousins would set about a future without drugs. He describes a slow shift in attitude.

Being clean demanded reducing his life to tiny victories and he found the process humiliating.

Overcoming the stress of paying a phone bill, for example, came to be considered a challenge to overcome.

By the time Cousins appeared for his AFL hair drug test in late 2008, he had been clean for more than six weeks.

He knows the shaving of his hair added weight to long-held perceptions that he shirked responsibility when it suited him.

"(But) I was desperate to get back to playing footy," he says.

"I had no faith that people of positions of power could understand the 12 months I'd been through, or could comprehend what drug use or relapse meant."

Cousins is grateful to Richmond for taking him in last year.

It was his chance to straighten his confusing relationship with the game.

He avoided fanning media scrutiny until his football retirement this year.

The approach deepened curiosity, he believes.

Almost inevitably, his past was linked to the present.

In July, Cousins was rushed to hospital after being found unconscious in his Elsternwick home.

He maintains he accidentally overdosed on prescribed sleeping pills.

A day later, he was sprinting and drilling at Punt Road, a vision in vitality.

Rumours swirled, of course.

The contradiction embedded within the Cousins persona - the physical specimen and the physical wreck - was reheated.

Even now, months out of the game and keen to find a healthy balance that defied him throughout his football career, Cousins cannot distance himself from the sorts of chemical temptations that could have killed him.

Some good friends remain drug users.

He must constantly guard himself from lapsing into the ruts of self-deception that allowed his addiction to overshadow all else.

Thinking about drugs is healthier than not, he says, without a hint of a smirk.

There is no happy ending - not yet, anyway.

"I still find myself romanticising about the idea of being able to take it and leave it, and keep it there for a rainy day," he says.

"But it just doesn't work that way for me.

"It probably was manageable for a long time. But once it tipped, it tipped properly."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/national/the-real-cousins-unmasked/story-e6frf7l6-1225952839167
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 04:47:25 AM by one-eyed »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Drugs still rule Ben Cousins' life (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 04:49:35 AM »
Drugs still rule Ben Cousins' life
Patrick Carlyon
Herald Sun
November 13, 2010

BEN Cousins has admitted he thinks about drugs every day and remains vulnerable to relapse into the addiction that almost killed him.

"It's never far from my mind,'' he said.

"That's the nature of where I'm at and that may change. The fear of not using, and the fear of the future without drugs, is not quite as daunting as it was.''

In an exclusive interview, Cousins opened up about his obsessive pursuit of hard drugs, including crack and ice, tracing back to his first game as a West Coast Eagle, aged 17.

In what he said was football's "worst-kept secret'', his drug "twisters'' escalated during his finest on-field years, when he won the 2005 Brownlow Medal and the Eagles won the flag the following year.

"I think the AFL knew,'' he said ahead of the release of his book, Ben Cousins: My Life Story.

"I think everyone knew.''

Yet Cousins somehow beat the AFL's drug-testing program.

He believed he tested positive once, in 2002, when testing was limited to research analysis only.

Cousins said he never saw or heard of players taking performance-enhancing drugs.

All the time his continuing spiral alarmed family and friends.

At Christmas lunch in 2005, after bingeing on ice, Cousins' eyes rolled back in his head. 

Cousins said he would routinely return to Perth from interstate matches awash in red wine and Valium.

When his father publicly appealed to him, Cousins hazily watched on television - while smoking crack cocaine.

On a five-day binge in LA, which ended in hospital, Cousins took to eating cocaine as well as snorting it.

Cousins admitted his public apology after a stint of rehab in 2007 was a display of "patent insincerity''.

Now living in Melbourne, he spoke  of "permanent vigilance'' being critical to his recovery:

"I am the luckiest person I know. I could have been locked up. I could have overdosed.''

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/national/drugs-still-rule-cousins-life/story-e6frf7l6-1225952868451

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 04:37:05 PM »
Sensationalised bos primigenius manure.

heard it, watched it, seen and heard the criticism.  Why drag it all up again  :chuck

There's a book to sell. :rollin

He wants out of the footy fishbowl, at least for a spell.

The irony is staggering.

Get your life sorted Benny..out of the spotlight.

So over it.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
The night cops cuffed me: Ben Cousins (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 07:00:27 AM »
The night cops cuffed me: Ben Cousins
Ben Cousins
Sunday Herald Sun
November 14, 2010

WEST Coast footy champion Ben Cousins had a dark secret that would shatter his dreams and precipitate a long and public fall from grace. He tells how he hit rock bottom soon after a great triumph, the 2006 premiership.

FOR a decade, my drug use and my football career had been in a kind of race. Would I fulfil my football potential before the drugs wrecked my chances?

Well, on September 30, 2006, the good side had won: by being part of a Grand Final-winning team, I'd achieved the thing I played the game for. Football had won.

But from that point, starting two hours after the full-time siren, the dark side was going to take its cut.

Vegas wasn't the only bullet I had to dodge. October in Perth meant temptations. Sam (girlfriend) and I tried to bust it.

My best way to avoid trouble was to get out of Perth. We spent a week in Sydney, a week on the Gold Coast and some time in Port Douglas, chilling out and diving on the Great Barrier Reef. It was the perfect rest.

But having had a rest, when we got back I was bubbling with energy and ready for a bender. I got on the rock (the drug ice), which was like running a triathlon a day for six days.

Each morning I'd wake from a nap and say to myself, "I can't put myself through that again". But sure enough, I was right back on it.

Some wires in my brain had skipped a connection, so that I was applying all my powers of endurance to this, instead of to getting fit.

I was digging deep, finding new reserves, defeating the signals of pain my body was sending me. While I was on it, I felt perversely proud of myself.

But as soon as I came down, I was vulnerable, fragile and paranoid, malnourished and dehydrated, waking up alone on a couch with no idea where I was or who I'd been with the previous 18 hours.

Dad was finding out how serious it had got. As my benders got worse, there were nights when he sat up with me until 5am in my apartment, just talking, to keep me from getting on; and then he'd get in his car and go train his horses.

He was single-handedly trying to absorb all the pain, protecting not only me but also Mum and my siblings.

There were nights when Dad was the only person standing between me and mates who wanted to drag me out again.

"Guys," he'd say, "It's pretty obvious Ben's not doing too well. He's not going anywhere."

At my place on those nights, he'd drag a mattress to the door and sleep on it to stop me heading out.

Nobody, except for Sam, knew better than Dad how serious my problem had become. Through the years, like any parent, he'd wanted to believe my mates were the issue.

During a bender, mates would turn up at 1am to take me out and Sam would call Dad in hysterics: "Bryan, those idiots are here trying to take him out again."

And Dad would be straight over, in the middle of the night. Sometimes I'd have gone already.

He'd console Sam, get some clues to where I'd gone, then set out to find me. Once he tracked me down in some horrible pit in Northbridge.

I grinned: "G'day, mate!" But it wasn't the time for humour. Dad was sober, seeing the place for the sh--hole it was.

Sometimes I'd leave with him, sometimes not. Once, he dropped me off at my place at 4.30am, then drove home.

He rang Sam to ask if I was asleep.

"What do you mean?" Sam said. "He's not here."

I'd gone up in the lift, waited till Dad had driven off, then gone straight back to Northbridge and my crew. It was more than any father should have to take.

Again I was testing Sam's patience. She'd been the driving force behind our holiday in Queensland and now I was undoing all her good work.

We flew to Melbourne for a friend's wedding. Another bad idea and I acted like a tool. Frustrated with my behaviour, Sam went back to our room to sleep.

After the reception, a crew kicked on to Eve, a nightclub near Crown casino. I didn't even know my name, I was so gone.

THE club owners put me in a limo and sent me to Crown, where they thought I was staying. But I wasn't, so when I got out of the car on the Crown concourse I was disoriented, literally lost and alone.

I'd lost my wallet and phone. There weren't many people around, so I thought I'd try to find my way back to Eve.

Problem was, I had no idea where it was, so I stumbled along the riverside.

Soon, hit by a wave of exhaustion, I sat down and fell asleep on a bench. Apparently a passer-by took a photo of me. Someone else called the police and the next thing I knew, two coppers were shaking me awake, asking who I was and what I'd taken.

"I'm Ben Cousins," I croaked.

"No you're not. Ben Cousins is bigger than you."

I took my shirt off and showed them my muscles.

"I was bigger a week ago," I said. It was true. When you're doing ice, you lose so much fluid and you're so malnourished that you can drop from 80 to 75 kilos in a week.

You go from being Ben Cousins, super-fit footballer to a wasted shell.

The cops still said they didn't believe me. I didn't know if they were taking the p--s.

"You don't believe me," I said. "Let me prove it. I'll take off and you try and catch me."

That's when they cuffed me.

When they searched my pockets at the police station, they came up with a phone.

It was Gardy's. I said if they let me make a call, I'd find someone who could verify my identity.

I went through Gardy's numbers and found Trevor Nisbett's. He didn't answer. I left a message.

Then I found Chris Judd's.

"Juddy'll come and get me. It's the least he can do," I joked. "He took the captaincy off me."

Again, no answer. It was 4am. I left a message for Juddy, asking him to pick me up at the police station, heaping a bit of s--t on him.

The cops were clearly enjoying the show by now. It had all been fairly tongue in cheek and I was playing up to them, but now they said I was on my last call.

I found the number of Ben Sharp, a Melbourne guy who was on our rookie list at the Eagles.

He answered! But so bad was my luck that night, Ben was in Perth on a dance floor.

"I can't hear you," he shouted. "Hang up and I'll walk outside and call you straight back."

"Don't hang up, it's my last call!"

But he hung up. The cops said: "That's it, you're in a cell."

Then Ben called and the cops answered. He told them who I was, but an argument ensued and he told them to f--- off.

"Mate," the copper said, "Every time you f---in' abuse me and carry on, I'm going to keep your mate in here for an extra hour."

So I spent the last few hours of the evening, right through into the next morning, in a cell.

Ben Sharp had arranged for his sister to pick me up. She dropped me at the house of a mate who Gardy was staying with.

I didn't have the courage to go back to our hotel and face Sam.

AFTER crashing on the couch, I woke up and was about to step outside the front door to check the day when the bloke who owned the house ran down the stairs and said: "I wouldn't go out there."

"Why not?"

"There's press everywhere."

"Who for?"

"You."

Who else, I guess.

Another mate from the Melbourne scene, Angelo Venditti or "Fat Ange", as we called him, walked in through the front door.

"Don't worry, mate," Fat Ange said. "I've given them all a f---in' spray and told them to f--- off and leave you alone."

Great, I thought, I've got a public character reference from Fat Ange, a good bloke but one who'd had his share of strife. I knew what fun the press would have with that. They camped out front, but Robbie Bottazzi eventually came over and smuggled me out the back.

Sam had flown home. I stayed in a hotel for a few days to let the dust settle, but in Perth the storm broke.

The bloke's photo of me unconscious in front of Crown, with a bunch of associated stories, took up the first five pages of the West Australian newspaper.

I couldn't avoid it now. For years there'd been rumours of my activities, but nobody had seen me face down in public, off my face.

I knew the club and my family would be embarrassed and I was dirty at myself.

I'd done the right thing by not going to Vegas, I'd taken a quiet holiday with Sam to straighten myself out and now I'd nullified all that with one ferocious bender.

I guess it always had to happen. Now it seemed the whole country was talking about it and I had no excuses, nowhere to hide.

If the warnings from Sam, my friends, my family and my club weren't enough, now there was this visible evidence screaming at me: Stop!

I chose not to listen.

Extracted from Ben Cousins: My Life Story, published by Macmillan Australia, RRP $35.99. On sale tomorrow. Buy Ben Cousins: My Life Story for the special Sunday Herald Sun reader price of only $26.99 + $5 p/h. Ph: 1300 306 107 or post a cheque to Book Offers, PO Box 14730 Melbourne, Vic., 8001.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/national/the-night-cops-cuffed-me-ben-cousins/story-e6frf7l6-1225953216203

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
How I let down my hero Dad: Ben Cousins (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 07:06:51 AM »
How I let down my hero Dad: Ben Cousins
Ben Cousins
Sunday Herald Sun
November 14, 2010

MY father has been a lot of things to me. As a footballer for the Geelong and Perth clubs, Bryan Cousins was my first hero.

He was my role model, and I imitated him in everything from how I ran to how I dressed at school. I’d wear shorts every day of the year, because Dad said that’s what he’d done when he was a kid.

He was the best coach I had, both one-on-one and in teams. He was my mentor, my confidant and my manager. He was, and still is, my closest mate.

But for a while, I turned him into something else: my victim. He suffered horribly from the things I did, and when I reflect on it now it thumps me in the gut. Remorse? That doesn’t even begin to describe it.

There was this night in 2008, in the dead of winter in the worst year of my life.

I was a drug addict, publicly disgraced, without a job, and living with my parents in southern Perth. I’d fallen a long way, but I still clung to the convenient belief that the only person I was harming was myself.

Home rehab was a stage in my recovery, but every minute of every day was a battle I lost as often as I won.

Even though I was surrounded by people who loved me I felt sick and hunted and angry, and lived in a reality where all my parameters of what was normal would have been unrecognisable to anyone who had not been there themselves.

My skin itched. I couldn’t sleep. Thoughts chased each other around in my head. I was a wreck.

Although I was mostly clean during home rehab, every minute I thought about drugs.

One thought led to a hundred more, and I wasn’t strong enough for that. I was totally scattered, lost inside my disorganised mind.

I lived in my bedroom, reviewing interviews from a documentary that was being made about me, facing up to the shame of seeing on film what my family thought of me; but there was only one firm anchor for my racing mind, one idea that could keep me on track: where I could get more gear.

Just thinking about how I would go about scoring, who I would visit, how I would get there, how much I’d get, and how I’d use it, gave me a merciful distraction from the loneliness, the regret, the anger, and the four walls closing in around me.

Dad, Mum and my sisters Melanie and Sophie were my keepers. They were in tears a lot of the time, seeing me battling this thing that we all knew was ruining me.

Through the night, they had a roster of guard duty outside my bedroom door. Two-hour watches, from ten to midnight, midnight to two, two to four, and so on. I was still using, not a lot but just enough – I wasn’t ready yet for abstinence.

At this stage I was smoking ice and cocaine, whichever I could get. It helped me focus on the small tasks and routines that got me from one hour to the next, and gave me fleeting moments of escape from myself.

It was about three in the morning when I began to obsess about running out of gear. I wasn’t quite out yet, but was nearly hysterical at the prospect of not having any to hand.

I was that far gone, I didn’t need to run out before I started panicking.

Having worked out a plan, I took a shower. Now that I knew where I was going and why, I was all business. I began to get dressed: jeans, a T-shirt and a jumper.

Mum, who was on shift, heard me moving around in my room.

"What are you doing up?"

"Nothing," I said.

From my earliest childhood, I can only ever remember loving my mum. I thought she was the most beautiful lady in the world, as much an idol, in her way, as Dad was in his.

But the thing with Mum was, I’d always been able to work her. Dad says my three siblings and I had Mum well trained. But it wasn’t manipulation. We just loved to charm her.

When she saw I was dressed, she got me to sit down and talk with her. I imagined I was drawing on all those lifelong tricks to persuade her to let me go.

"I’ve got to go, Mum."

"Where?"

Beyond the odd harmless fib, I don’t believe lying had been part of my repertoire in getting my way with Mum in the past. But I was a different person now, a stranger to both of us.

"I’ve got to go and see Rani," I said. The widow of one of my best mates, Chris Mainwaring, Rani was close to our whole family. We’d been to hell with her. "I’m going to help her get the kids ready for school."

It was three o’clock in the morning. The thing about the lies, in this state, is that you don’t know how ridiculous they sound. I really thought Mum would believe anything I said.

Instead, shaky and weepy, she said she was going to get Dad.

"Don’t tell him - he’s not going to understand," I burst out. "I don’t want a huge blue over this. I’m going. I’ve done the right thing, I’ve told you I’m going, I’m not sneaking out, I’ve given you a heads-up, so just let me go."

Mum ran up the stairs and got Dad, who appeared at my bedroom door in tracksuit pants and a singlet. I’d say he was half-asleep, except that Dad was never really sleeping those nights. He looked shocking.

‘I’m off,’ I said.

Dad shook his head. ‘You’ve come too far to do this.’

‘I need to go and get something. Don’t ask me to explain. I’ve been upfront, I’m not just leaving, but I’m telling you that this is what I need to do.’

Dad braced himself across the doorway. As tired and stressed as he was, he still had his fit, compact footballer’s body: the body his genes had given me.

‘You’re not going anywhere.’

We’d had our blues from time to time, but it had never come to this. I was ready to charge him.

‘Don’t try and stop me,’ I said, ‘because you know you can’t.’

He met my stare. ‘I know you’re going to get some stuff, I know what you’re doing.’

‘I just need to get out,’ I said, becoming frantic. ‘I can’t handle this anymore.’

In that moment, something passed over Dad’s face. He’d known I was using at home, and while he and Mum didn’t condone it - far from it - they took some comfort from at least knowing where I was.

‘Okay,’ he said. ‘If it’s that f****** important to you and you’re going anyway, I’ll drive you. You can get it and bring it back here.’

Dad went out and got into the car. Once I was sitting beside him and we were moving, he noticed the difference in me.

‘Now you know you’re getting your stuff, you’re okay.’

‘No,’ I lied.

‘I can see it. A few minutes ago you were going to belt me, and now you’re relaxed.’

I told him the address, in a semi-industrial area in the back of Canning Vale, and said: ‘You can’t come all the way. If I rock up to these people’s place with you in the car they’ll pull a gun out. They’ll think you’re a cop.’

When we were a few blocks short of the place, I told Dad to stop and get out, and I’d take the car the rest of the way.

It was pouring with rain, pitch-black and cold.

‘What am I going to do here?’ Dad said. ‘It’s peeing down.’

I didn’t see any of this as a problem. I was on my own mission. Dad was a means to the end I was seeking.

I told him to wait under a lamppost, and that was where I left him, in the dark, in the rain, in nothing but his trackie daks and a singlet, no phone, not even a pair of shoes.

Memory is an incredible thing. I went to my dealer’s, woke him up and got what I wanted, but I only have a hazy recall of that meeting.

It was, as with a lot of my drug-using life, a mundane occurrence just like any other. What I have a much clearer vision of is where I wasn’t.

What I can see is Dad. As the rain got heavier, he found a bus shelter and curled up on the bench. A man came up and asked him if he was all right.

Dad said yes, he was okay, he wasn’t waiting for a bus. Dad was wondering what he’d do if the cops came past and asked him what he was doing, without shoes or a phone, hanging around a bus stop at this hour.

He worried that he’d be recognised, and that more bad headlines and public embarrassment would follow.

He worried that I wouldn’t turn up.

I did come back, and Dad got into the car.

‘Did you get something?’ he said.

I was still feeling stubborn, not wanting to give an inch. He was only trying to understand me and take the journey with me, but I wasn’t ready to let him on board.

‘Yeah, not much,’ I grunted.

‘Is it going to make life any easier?’

I said nothing. I’d left my hero out in the rain, half-dressed, on a winter’s night, and all I could think about was what I’d do when I got home.

We stopped at a service station and bought the newspaper as well as a pie and a chocolate milk for me. It was days since I’d eaten. At home, Dad changed into work clothes and started his day, again.

And I went to my bedroom and got on.

There have been any number of incidents that brought me public shame. But none of those has any weight compared with my private shame once I came to grips with what I’d done to the people who loved me and whom I loved.

The only person I was harming was myself? What a load of crap. That day, I wasn’t up to making amends.

But it wasn’t long before I’d start.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/cousins-how-i-let-down-my-hero-dad/story-e6frf7kx-1225953118144

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 05:09:42 PM »
That's pretty full on
Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Cousins recalls mate's death (Age)
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 07:19:37 AM »
Cousins recalls mate's death
The Age
November 20, 2010

BEN Cousins has revealed that on the night his former West Coast Eagles teammate and friend Chris Mainwaring died of a drug overdose the pair had been planning a cocaine binge.

In his book, Ben Cousins: My Life Story, he discusses publicly for the first time the lead-up to that night in October 2007.

He wrote that he spoke by phone to 41-year-old Mainwaring and he told him he was ''struggling''. Soon after, Cousins received a call from Mainwaring's wife Rani asking him to check on her husband.

''When I walked in at 2pm, he was drinking a glass of red,'' Cousins writes. At 6pm, Cousins had to be at his Narcotics Anonymous meeting and told Mainwaring he'd come back. Cousins told Mainwaring he knew what he was going through and discussed ''having a night''.

Cousins said to Mainwaring. ''If you're going to, I couldn't imagine anyone I'd rather have a night with.''

Cousins left thinking of the irony of driving to an NA meeting after setting the scene for a night on drugs, and wondered if he was using his friend's depression to end his own six months of being drug-free. By the time he was on his way back, Cousins writes, he had changed his mind about getting on the coke.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/cousins-recalls-mates-death-20101119-1817p.html