Author Topic: Richo to roam free  (Read 1408 times)

Bulluss

Richo to roam free
« on: December 11, 2004, 09:56:08 PM »
Look for Matthew Richardson to play further up the ground for Richmond in 2005.

That’s the message from new coach Terry Wallace, who has just written an article for the members’ newsletter, ‘The Fighting Tiger Bulletin’.

Wallace said that the Tigers would be looking to find multiple goalscorers next season and that Richardson would serve the team better further up the ground.

“What I’d like to do with Matty Richardson is play him out at half-forward,” Wallace said.

“I just think that when he plays solely deep, the opposition can actually plan for him to be there and double-team – or sometimes even triple-team – him.

“If Richo plays out across the forward 50, it allows us to get him one-out with his direct opponent more often, whether that be working back towards the goals, which he’s very good at doing, or just being further up the ground.

“My whole aim is to try to get him one-out with his direct opponent because from a contested marking point of view, with his power and his strength, he just doesn’t get beaten when he gets those opportunities.”

He also identified Nathan Brown, Andrew Krakouer, Wayne Campbell, Troy Simmonds and Greg Stafford as players who will be integral to the club’s forward mix in 2005.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=180374

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
Re: Richo to roam free
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2004, 10:32:42 PM »
 ;D Hooray! Hooray! Hooray! At last a coach who understands football.

How many opportunities up forward were lost last year when Richo as battling two or more opponents. :banghead

What he needs to do is play a Barry Hall type role on the half forward line and use his pace and marking ability to
the advantage of the team rather than be negated as he was last year.

This type of play will open up the forward line for the running players and should amount to the number of goals required to win games.  :thumbsup

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2004, 06:35:37 PM »
Feel free to roam up north Richo ;)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2004, 08:48:58 AM »
And they wonder why we hang it on the media - this is from today's Age (13/12/04) it is the original article in this thread .. ::) ::) clearly it's a slow news day  ;D but remember we do sell papers ;)
=======

Wallace plans Tiger forward line

By Emma Quayle
December 13, 2004

New Richmond coach Terry Wallace is plotting an upfield role for key forward Matthew Richardson next season.
Wallace, who last month outlined his plans to create a 16-goals-a-game team, believes that leaving Richardson stranded at full-forward allows rival clubs to plan too extensively on how to double-team him.

In The Fighting Tiger Bulletin, a members' newsletter, Wallace suggested the enigmatic goalkicker would be more dangerous roaming on the half-forward line.

Wallace, who has coached the Western Bulldogs, also said he wanted his former Bulldogs charge, Nathan Brown, to become a 35-goals-a-season player and ex-captain Wayne Campbell to play regularly out of the goal square.

"What I'd like to do with Matty Richardson is play him out at half-forward," Wallace said. "I just think that when he plays solely deep, the opposition can actually plan for him to be there and double-team or sometimes even triple-team him.

"My whole aim is to try and get him one-out with his direct opponent because from a contested-marking point of view, with his power and his strength, he just doesn't get beaten when he gets those opportunities."

Wallace also named Troy Simmonds and Greg Stafford as key potential goalscorers and said he had urged Andrew Krakouer to lift his goal tally.

"Krakouer . . . has a natural instinct around the goals as a crumbing forward, but he needs to raise the bar in this regard and become a 25-plus goalkicker for us next season if we're going to become a consistently higher-scoring side," Wallace said. "I think Campbell has shown . . . he's very smart coming out of the goal square. He'll be used in that type of role fairly regularly next year."

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/12/12/1102786950772.html
« Last Edit: December 13, 2004, 08:50:53 AM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Taking on opponents - Brian Royal
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2004, 02:12:34 PM »
Just had a read of Brian Royal's article in EOTT.

When your confidence is down, however, that’s when mistakes are made. So, what we’re doing at the moment is plenty of skill sessions where we’re trying to build confidence.

For instance, if we’re focusing on kicking, we put stationary targets (actual life-size dummies) in the forward line. We’ll have eight players with 50 or 60 footies out on the ground, and all we’re doing is kicking to target. We’re not running after the footy, we’re just practising our kicking. Once the players have kicked the ball, they go back and get another one. Basically, we’re just focusing on kicking technique, and trying to fix any little flaws in this important area of the game.

The skill development that I teach revolves heavily around confidence and repetition . . . let’s do it and do it and do it and do it, until we get it right.

In terms of the game plan we want the players to execute, well, that’s probably a topic for another article. But, to summarise, we want to encourage them to take on the opposition – right from the backline. We want our defender to run off their opponents and try to link up in some way on the end of a possession. If we win the footy in the middle of the ground, we want to encourage guys to run and carry it through the corridor and kick goals from outside 50. It’s all about taking the opposition on and then, obviously, using the footy well.

Skill sessions and more skill sessions. All I can say is great stuff  :thumbsup  :thumbsup  :thumbsup

That comment "kick goals from outside 50" is music to my ears  :bow. One of my biggest bugbears under Spud (amongst the many others) was watching our blokes 30-40m out on their own and passing the footy instead of going for goal  ???  :banghead

Entertaining footy here we come. Bring it on!  :cheers
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd