Author Topic: Tigers on the move under Wallace  (Read 1730 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Tigers on the move under Wallace
« on: December 15, 2004, 02:23:36 AM »
Tigers on the move under Wallace
Analysis
By Rohan Connolly
The Age
December 15, 2004

From the wreckage of one wretched AFL season springs genuine hope for the next. That's no longer just the pipedream of the wishful fan; it's the reality.

Carlton proved it in 2004. It finished 2003 second-last on the ladder and an uncompetitive rabble. A purge the likes of which a senior list has seldom, if ever, had previously followed, with 16 players, close enough to half the senior playing contingent, either retired, traded or delisted.

Despite much scepticism about the influx of imports who replaced the fallen, the Blues emerged a different outfit altogether in performance as well as appearance, their 10 wins for the season more than double the paltry four eked out in 2003.

You can see the same signs beginning to emerge with Richmond for 2005. The Tigers, under new coach Terry Wallace, have wielded the axe more tellingly than any of their competitors, lopping a full dozen of their 2004 senior list.

Their replacements, rounded out in yesterday's pre-season draft with the addition of St Kilda ruckman Trent Knobel, collectively don't have nearly the same level of senior experience as did the Carlton imports, but there's enough there alongside the host of young talent acquired with five of the national draft's first 20 picks to make the Richmond we'll see run out next season a different team altogether.

And as with the Blues, the difference will come not only through what the newcomers have to offer, but the options they provide for those already in the mix.

Certainly, the loss of big man Brad Ottens doesn't look nearly so critical now. In trade pick-up Troy Simmonds and yesterday's acquisition Knobel, Richmond has two genuine senior ruckmen to partner Greg Stafford, giving the Tigers flexibility they haven't known for some time.

Unlike most ruckmen, both Simmonds and Stafford have shown they are also capable key-position forwards and goalkickers. Wallace obviously has sufficient confidence in them as such to explore the idea of Matthew Richardson as a roaming half-forward. The addition of the talls also will allow the coach to groom another key-position player in Jay Schulz as a centre half-back.

That, in turn, will let undersized and overworked backman Andrew Kellaway, and another defensive pick-up in Hawthorn's Mark Graham, to take the third or fourth opposition tall they should always be assigned. It's potentially the same for the much-maligned Tiger midfield.

Best-and-fairest winner Mark Coughlan is a virtual recruit for 2005, Kane Johnson is proven, and in two of the top four picks in the national draft, Brett Deledio and Richard Tambling, Richmond has potential stars likely to make an impact at senior level sooner rather than later.

Again, that releases others, such as veteran Wayne Campbell, forever the whipping boy for an inadequate engine room, and now being touted by the Tiger brainstrust as a potentially dangerous small forward. Ditto Nathan Brown, who spent much of 2004 being flung this, that and every way in a futile attempt to plug Richmond's many holes.

You'd have to count on a forward set-up featuring that pair, a free-roaming wildcard in Richardson, and either Simmonds, Stafford or both, to kick bigger scores than the measly 77 points a game the Tigers averaged in 2004, the second-lowest tally in the AFL.

It all amounts to a substantial makeover, certainly compared with the likes of Brisbane, which after three retirements, moved on by choice only one senior player in Aaron Shattock, or Port Adelaide, confident enough in its depth of talent to have let premiership midfield pair Josh Carr and Jarrad Schofield go for Brisbane's Shattock, Melbourne's Peter Walsh and yesterday's addition of a young local in Elijah Ware.

Richmond's rebuilding under Wallace, like Carlton's under Denis Pagan, will be ongoing. The Blues have turned over a fair number of players this post-season as well, two retirements and seven more delistings replaced by another host of new faces including West Australian pair Troy Longmuir and Callum Chambers, and a clutch of talented kids.

But Pagan made an important philosophical decision last summer, that the Blues could hardly pull up their socks when they didn't have any on. His influx of new faces at least gave Carlton back its self-respect, and that has made the rest of the task appear far less the Everest-like climb it appeared this time last year.

Wallace has five years to right the good ship Richmond, but already has been pro-active enough with his senior list to give the Tigers some chance of beginning that process meaningfully here and now. And that is a prospect of which even the most optimistic Tiger fan would not have dared dream just a few months ago after their team's 14th-straight defeat condemned it to the wooden spoon.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/12/14/1102787078470.html
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Tigers on the move under Wallace
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2004, 02:31:31 AM »
Brad who?  :rollin

2005 - Bring it on  :thumbsup

ps. lol @ the bomber supporting journalist from the Age writing positive stories about Richmond while the Tiger supporting one spends the year bagging the Club.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Knobel a key in coach's plans
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2004, 02:41:12 AM »
Knobel a key in coach's plans
By Dan Oakes
The Age
December 15, 2004

Richmond coach Terry Wallace yesterday described new ruckman Trent Knobel as a pivotal figure in his two-step plan to rejuvenate the wallowing club.

The Tigers picked up the 202-centimetre former Saint in yesterday's pre-season draft to lift ruck stocks depleted by Brad Ottens' departure for Geelong.

The Tigers have already snared Fremantle ruckman/forward Troy Simmonds in the trade period and veteran Hawthorn defender Mark Graham in the national draft to counterbalance the promising youngsters recruited last month.

Wallace said that although he was engaged in building a team for the future, he could not ignore the fact that the Tigers' long-suffering fans needed something to lift their morale in the short-term after the team finished 16th last season.

"We wanted to be able to change the list immediately so that our supporter base had something to look forward to going into 2005, but also that gave senior players something to look forward to going into 2005," Wallace said.

"Players like Wayne Campbell and Greg Stafford and Matthew Richardson don't want to be hearing about five-year plans; they might not be around to see those things out. Trent fits into the immediate future, when you have a look at Mark Graham coming to the club, Troy Simmonds and now Trent, that's the immediate future, that we have got a different structure about the way we'll go about it straight from round one next year.

"But Trent also fits into our long-term plans, being 24 years of age . . . with Troy and Trent being in that position, we know that we've got two key big men that are going to be around for an extended period of time."

Knobel will form a new ruck trio with Simmonds and Stafford, who at 30 is coming towards the end of his career. Simmonds, who kicked 35 goals for the Dockers last season, also will be deployed as a forward.

"Any sort of competition is very healthy, but I see those guys being able to share the duties. Gone are the days where you had one bloke who just plays in the ruck, he plays out 120 minutes of football," Wallace said.

It looked until late last week as if Knobel would end up at Carlton after training with the Blues in the lead-up to the draft. Wallace said the Tigers had contacted the big man as soon as he announced he was leaving St Kilda, where he played 24 games last season, but it was unfair to invite Knobel to train at Punt Road unless the club was sure it could afford him.

Knobel was unhappy with the deal the Saints offered him and elected to try his luck elsewhere, but he said there were no hard feelings over the manner of his departure.

"I've made my decision to leave St Kilda for a lot of personal reasons. I knew there was always a good chance of finding a new home, but I always wanted to make my decision to leave St Kilda and I think it's definitely been the right decision," Knobel said. "I have no bitterness towards St Kilda. I had a great three years there but unfortunately, things didn't work out."

From the rookie draft, the Tigers picked up Will Thursfield, an athletic 191-centimetre key defender.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/articles/2004/12/14/1102787083022.html

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2004, 10:31:22 AM »
Great articles.

At the end of the day I beleive we really did well in this trade period and Miller and Wallace really thought it through well.

Ottens decided to leave and I think we really didn't want to keep him in the end.  Miller and Wallace realised that his perceived value was greater than his actual value and wanted to strike when the iron was hot.  This was the right move.  Gaining picks 12 and 16 (meyer and patto) was a good return, however we were after a top 10 pick.  Had we got a pick 8 or 9 we probably still would have gone for Meyer as Wallace is a huge fan of his, and by what i saw at training, I somehow agree.  He is as smooth as silk.

Wallace obviously saw Simmonds as the ideal replacement to Ottens, and being exactly his type, he told Miller to do all he can to get him.  And Miller did, flying to perth to wine and dine him.  However, when the Fiora trade occured in the 11th hour, I'm sure that both Miller and Wallace were smiling from ear to ear.  Knobel in the PSD was the icing on the cake for our perceived rucking woes and any memory of Ottens has now completely vanished.

So in the wash up we lost Ottens (reputation based on unfulfilled potential), Fiora (lack of weight will always bother him) and Zantuck (troubled child), plus a heap of duds.  We gained 2 ruckmen (who will put our rucking concerns at ease for at least 4-5 years), a Graham and 7 promising kids (3 of whom have genuine talent and can be the leagues next superstars).

This is the way you recruit, the way you plan for the future and how you place a club on the right path.  We currently have 17-18 raw kids (a whole line-up) who could be anything.....potential superstars.  Compare this to 2 years ago when we only had 2-3 raw kids.....during the days when Frawley and co. thought it was a wise move to recruit a Fleming and a Nichols with mid range picks - the same picks that have yielded us a Jackson/Raines, and picks way earlier than those picks that yielded us a Hartigan.  Was it any wonder supporters were pulling their hair out, when all you had to look forward to was to go to a game and watch a Houlihan squib a contest, or a Rogers kick directly to an opposition.  Compare what we had to look forward to those days to now.  The 2005 season can't start quick enough.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2004, 11:33:20 AM »
The more Terry Wallace articles I read the happier I am we've got him.
He really does understand the big picture. I'll be going to the footy with an eye on our exciting future but also inspired about our rejuvenated present.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline Puntroadroar

• Premiership Captain
  • Our Very own Top Gun
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2004, 12:10:53 PM »
It definately is a fantastic feeling,

let's all hope we can continue this positive momentum

bring on 2005!

;D
There's no I in team, but there is 5 i's in Individual Brilliance.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2004, 01:07:25 PM »
Compare what we had to look forward to those days to now. The 2005 season can't start quick enough.

:thumbsup

Seeing the difference in the way things are being done now, compared to in the past, you can at least be confident now that we’re on the right track, moreso than at any other time in the past.  Really, there is no comparison.  Who knows what and where it will lead to, but in other years you just hoped things would turn around.  But the reality was that nothing could ever really change because you just knew there was always those unknown and mostly unseen, behind the scenes factors that made it impossible for this footy club to achieve anything above mediocrity.

The way we’ve gone about recruiting and contract negotiations the last couple of years points to massive changes behind the scenes.  Whatever the changes are, previously those “unseen” factors held this club back and dictated that we lived in mediocrity street.  Otherwise, the performance of RFC over many years would just defy all logic.

After this election is over, if we can steer clear of the back room politics and just let the footy department get on with things, unhindered, then we have to improve. And about time too.

Some may think that the politics doesn’t affect the footy side of things, but it all has to stem from somewhere.  To me, what happens on the field is a reflection of what happens off the field.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Ox

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2004, 01:09:11 PM »
No ruckmen to 3 ruckmen.

I just wanna see the team appear with a new attitude,a frawlyless attitude.

Cant fukken wait broooooo !